GDT Islanders at Sabres, Feb. 15, 2022, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Tuch with 2 more points. Krebs with 2 more points. We win this trade dispute.

For today.

Tuch and Krebs have a 27 point head start on Eichel who plays tomorrow.

How long can they keep the lead?

• Haha (+1) 1

I appreciate @The Ghost of Yuri positive spin on Bjork, but dude lacks talent and instinct.  The first goal against was his inability to get a puck deep with Dahlin rushing on the wing. Yeah blame others for not back checking but it started with Bjork losing the puck.  I would rather have Drake in there over this guy. 

Toker had some nice saves when they were needed but someone needs tell this guy to stay in the crease.  He leaves the paint with the frequency of a Center fearing a three second violation in basketball.  The Isles broadcast team mentioned his sliding on more than one occasion.  

Loved young Rasmus mixing it up with Martin in the O zone and coming away with puck.

Nice to see Vic get off the “schneid” but the puck did not have the velocity or accuracy we are used to seeing from him when straight.  Still not healed.

Jeff continues to play well. No points but making plays.   Butch Goring referenced multiple times how different a player he is this year.  “Motivated” was his description.

Islanders are one of the strongest, most physical groups in the league. Wasn’t an issue in the slightest.

Nice when they play the game the way Donnie wants them to play and all of the players who are coming back next year give you glimpses of how good they can be.

Cozens was a ***** warrior and Krebs just making plays both ways. Special props to Jokiharju who showed so much confidence with the puck.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Tuch and Krebs have a 27 point head start on Eichel who plays tomorrow.

How long can they keep the lead?

This is a fun question.

This season, Tuch is likely to stay close to his current pace this season as he's PP,PK, and top line minutes. And although Quinn/VO could take some minutes away in the future I don't see either displacing him entirely the next 2 seasons. I can see Tuch reaching 40 this year and 60 each of the two following. Then, a dip down to 40/year the final two of his current deal. That gets Tuch to 240 points. Krebs... 20+40+40 over his entry level contract with plenty of PP time. That's 100 points.

Can Eichel get to 340 points in 4 1/3 seasons? His best year he averaged 1.15 ppg. If he's fully healthy, on a stacked lineup the entire remainder of his Vegas contract, then he could handily break 400 points.

But if we add 2 more seasons of Krebs on a bridge deal that sees him maintain PP time and pick up about 40 points/season -- then they would stay just ahead of Eichel by the time his current contract expires. 420 to 400ish. I also like to think I'm underselling Krebs' scoring potential as the team around him gets better.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

This is a fun question.

This season, Tuch is likely to stay close to his current pace this season as he's PP,PK, and top line minutes. And although Quinn/VO could take some minutes away in the future I don't see either displacing him entirely the next 2 seasons. I can see Tuch reaching 40 this year and 60 each of the two following. Then, a dip down to 40/year the final two of his current deal. That gets Tuch to 240 points. Krebs... 20+40+40 over his entry level contract with plenty of PP time. That's 100 points.

Can Eichel get to 340 points in 4 1/3 seasons? His best year he averaged 1.15 ppg. If he's fully healthy, on a stacked lineup the entire remainder of his Vegas contract, then he could handily break 400 points.

But if we add 2 more seasons of Krebs on a bridge deal that sees him maintain PP time and pick up about 40 points/season -- then they would stay just ahead of Eichel by the time his current contract expires. 420 to 400ish. I also like to think I'm underselling Krebs' scoring potential as the team around him gets better.

Great post.

It will be interesting to watch Krebs develop, he's showing some fantastic playmaking ability already.

• Like (+1) 1

Couldn't watch the game unfortunately bur catching up now. What happening to cause Cozens to crosscheck Nelson into the boards? Clip just showed up on Instagram. I've upped it to YouTube,  but stil can't work out how to embed. Oh well. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/Vz8tdOt9QEo?feature=share

Edited by steveoath

I know that it is typical to rant and rave and put down players all the time but I think it is obvious OV is hurting and clearly his shot isn't as hard as it was but with time that will return. Some have gone on how we should dump him  for whatever we can get but he is young and clearly when healthy a good player. He is just a piece in what wil become a big puzzle soon with all the fine young players we have that will be on the big team in the next few years.

Another nice win that clearly shows that after my greatest fear of Jack being traded for basically nothing we did really well and still can look forward to using the 1st round pick as well. Hell if we win the lottery we will be really set for the future (either way we wil get another good prospect next draft)...I am thinking positive  about the team for first time in a long time. I think we have seen that the team can and will be better and get wins if they get NHL goaltending, something they have not had in many years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

I know that it is typical to rant and rave and put down players all the time but I think it is obvious OV is hurting and clearly his shot isn't as hard as it was but with time that will return. Some have gone on how we should dump him  for whatever we can get but he is young and clearly when healthy a good player. He is just a piece in what wil become a big puzzle soon with all the fine young players we have that will be on the big team in the next few years.

Question:

Olofsson’s contract is finished after this season.  What kind of a deal would you be willing to offer him?

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Question:

Olofsson’s contract is finished after this season.  What kind of a deal would you be willing to offer him?

This is a pretty interesting question and a bit of a dilemma for KA.  When healthy, VO is IMHO a legit 25-30 goal guy with pretty good speed and hockey IQ and is a major weapon on the PP.  He’s also homegrown and generally the kind of guy you want to keep around.

But shoulders are tricky (I’m assuming that is what’s ailing him.). Can you get comfortable that he will in fact return to full health?  Can KA rely on the Sabres’ medical team to give him advice on which he needs to base a $20MM+ decision?

I hope he fully recovers and I hope they keep him.  He’s a good scoring forward and they need as many of those as possible.  

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

As people have said, this team is fun to watch.

For me, for the first time in a long time I can see the puzzle for a good team. The outside pieces are all snapping together and there are enough pieces on the table to see it all fitting together.

Put your hands up if before the season you had Skinner and Tage part of a legit top line for the Sabres.

Tuch is a blessing. He won’t be as naturally talented as Jack but I think he will be more impactful to the team when you factor in on ice production, enthusiasm for the organization, leadership and culture building. Finally a captain that should be captain.

Guys like Cozens and Krebs are not yet wheee they will be as polished players but you see the flashes of what is to come.

My biggest takeaway is that the future core of Tuch, Tage, Dahlin, Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, Power all have good attitudes. I would add Mitts but the kid needs a to catch a health break first.

There is a lot of lifting to do still but I think the train is finally on the track. One of the young goalies stepping up (I think Levi) will be huge to taking the next step.

There is some more suffering to come but it is worth sitting through to watch them grow.

I understand why some people have an animus toward Jack. But when he is healthy he is a top 12 player in this league. (I don't have any animus toward Jack as much as I do for the organization's ineptitude that he was subjected to.)  

The trade of Jack worked out reasonably well for us. Both Tuch and  Krebs will both be good players for us. They are part of the building blocks for the on- going rebuild. 

Just my opinion: If Jack gets booed when he returns for a game I will be disappointed. I would consider it to be classless. Cheer for your team and be silent instead of booing this particular departed player. It didn't work out for him here. Trading him was the right move for him and the organization. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is a pretty interesting question and a bit of a dilemma for KA.  When healthy, VO is IMHO a legit 25-30 goal guy with pretty good speed and hockey IQ and is a major weapon on the PP.  He’s also homegrown and generally the kind of guy you want to keep around.

But shoulders are tricky (I’m assuming that is what’s ailing him.). Can you get comfortable that he will in fact return to full health?  Can KA rely on the Sabres’ medical team to give him advice on which he needs to base a $20MM+ decision?

I hope he fully recovers and I hope they keep him.  He’s a good scoring forward and they need as many of those as possible.  

Why would KA not be able to rely on his medical staff? 

It amazes how often Cozens gets a pass considering he is only 1 year younger than Dahlin. On the NYI first goal last night, that was all on Cozens being completely unaware coming off the bench and allowing Palmieri to go straight past because he was flat footed. 

Also Bjork has no place on the team. He was also partly responsible for the goal when instead of dumping the pass into space (where Dahlin was heading to) he tried to use his limited skills to force a pass through 2 players and it was an immediate counter attack, catching Dahlin in a bad spot while Bjork didn't recover and then Cozens comes off the bench and doesn't help cover the guy who was behind Dahlin because of Bjorks terrible pass. Just an awful sequence. 

Edited by LGR4GM

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It amazes how often Cozens gets a pass considering he is only 1 year younger than Dahlin. On the NYI first goal last night, that was all on Cozens being completely unaware coming off the bench and allowing Palmieri to go straight past because he was flat footed. 

Also Bjork has no place on the team. He was also partly responsible for the goal when instead of dumping the pass into space (where Dahlin was heading to) he tried to use his limited skills to force a pass through 2 players and it was an immediate counter attack, catching Dahlin in a bad spot while Bjork didn't recover and then Cozens comes off the bench and doesn't help cover the guy who was behind Dahlin because of Bjorks terrible pass. Just an awful sequence. 

Partially he has only 1.5 years of NHL play under his belt.

Partially due to lesser expectations. (Dahlin was deemed generational when he's more likely a star)

And likely its also partially bias.

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The coach benches him enough for his mistakes 🙂

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Just my opinion: If Jack gets booed when he returns for a game I will be disappointed. I would consider it to be classless. Cheer for your team and be silent instead of booing this particular departed player. It didn't work out for him here. Trading him was the right move for him and the organization. 

I won't be there but I'd boo.  He rejected the team.  He didn't want a rebuild.  The team is better for the build they're doing.  He signed a contract and then didn't want to play here.  I have a problem with that.

Boo.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

While I won't argue that the goal was on him, he also led the team in points last night (3 assists).  Yes I want him to backcheck like crazy and he messed up.  He made up for it.

He was out for that goal and still +2 on the night.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.