GDT Islanders at Sabres, Feb. 15, 2022, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

• Eleven changed the title to GDT Islanders at Sabres, Feb. 15, 2022, 7pm, MSG, WGR.
Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Gonna be watching this one behind you guys. Got a girls basketball playoff game to call at 6. It'll be 9 before I get in front of the TV.

Just watch it on your phone.  We all know refs don't watch the games they're calling anyway.

• Haha (+1) 1

After stumbling on a trip through Western Canada, the New York Islanders look to snap a two-game losing skid on Tuesday when they visit the Buffalo Sabres.

New York dropped a 3-1 decision to the Edmonton Oilers on Friday before falling 5-2 against the Calgary Flames the following night.

The Sabres ended a three-game losing streak Sunday, when Jeff Skinner scored a career-high four goals in a 5-3 win over the host Montreal Canadiens.

The Islanders, who made the NHL semifinals each of the last two seasons, enter Tuesday’s game 17 points out of the final wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference. If they are unable to make a dash into the playoff picture, they may look back on the trip to Canada as a symbolic end of a star-crossed campaign.

The Islanders opened the trip last Wednesday by scoring five goals in the first period of a 6-3 win over the Vancouver Canucks before falling to the Oilers and Flames.

On Saturday night, coach Barry Trotz acknowledged the Islanders may have been feeling the effects of the back-to-back set.

“I can’t tell you a percentage, but it is a little bit of a factor,” Trotz said. “Some of the goals are puck management. A couple of our decisions weren’t great. But some guys didn’t have legs.”

In addition, the Islanders played without a backup goaltender Saturday after scheduled starter Semyon Varlamov was placed in COVID-19 protocol.

Varlamov is the 19th player to enter protocol this season for New York, whose season was paused amidst an outbreak in late November that occurred during an 11-game losing streak. With Varlamov quarantined in Canada, New York on Monday recalled Cory Schneider from Bridgeport of the American Hockey League to serve as an emergency backup for Ilya Sorokin.

https://sportsnaut.com/islanders-hope-to-right-ship-vs-sabres/

48 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm doing radio play by play. If I did that I might blurt out a swear word.

Ah of course.  In that case, definitely do it.

12 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I don't think other teams should be able to cry about not having goaltenders in their Sabres game previews.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Gonna be watching this one behind you guys. Got a girls basketball playoff game to call at 6. It'll be 9 before I get in front of the TV.

I may have previously mentioned this to you about David Kindred going back home to cover high school sports. Your post reminded me again of him going home to cover women high school sports. Sports at a more pure form without the egos and frills associated with sports. I'm sure you will call a great game. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dave-kindred-local-sportswriter-60-minutes-2021-03-28/

• This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Islanders this season. 
• Last meeting: New York defeated Buffalo 4-1 in New York on Dec. 30 
• Next meeting: Saturday, April 23 in Buffalo 

• The Sabres are 2-7-1 in their last 10 games against the Islanders; 5-5-0 at home. 
• This is the 183rd game all-time between Buffalo and New York; Buffalo has an 84-73-25 series record.
• The Sabres are 48-31-12 on the road against the Islanders all-time.

• Jeff Skinner turned in a career day on Sunday in Montreal, setting new career highs in both goals (4) and points (5). The game marked his sixth career hat trick and second as a member of the Sabres. 
• The four-goal game gave Skinner his eighth 20-goal season during his 12-year NHL career. 

• Skinner is tied for 14th in the NHL this season with 17 even-strength goals. 
• Since entering the league in 2010-11, Skinner ranks 14th among all NHL skaters with 285 goals and is tied with Max Pacioretty for sixth in the league during that span with 228 even-strength tallies. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I may have previously mentioned this to you about David Kindred going back home to cover high school sports. Your post reminded me again of him going home to cover women high school sports. Sports at a more pure form without the egos and frills associated with sports. I'm sure you will call a great game. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dave-kindred-local-sportswriter-60-minutes-2021-03-28/

Very familiar with this story, thanks.  If anyone is interested, we go on the air 6pm ET. https://s6.reliastream.com/proxy/wbnh?mp=/stream

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.