GDT - Sabres @ Jets - December 14, 2021 - 8 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

I really didn't think Cozens played all that great of a game.

Which is great, because he still had an impact.

Hiney-Strokey has some under-rated hands.

UPL is not small. He was crouched over and there where all these players around him. He stood up and made them all look like children.

• Like (+1) 5

42 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I wonder how UPL will look… Once he has 8, 10, 12 games behind him… And the teams start to have a book on him. That will be the next hurdle.

He covers the bottom of the net very very well, side-to-side.

IIRC, when he was getting lit up in pre-season, they were shooting high glove.   

Like you said, teams will start scouting him more aggressively now, so we'll have a better idea of how much progress he's made after a few more weeks.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, pi2000 said:

He covers the bottom of the net very very well, side-to-side.

IIRC, when he was getting lit up in pre-season, they were shooting high glove.   

Like you said, teams will start scouting him more aggressively now, so we'll have a better idea of how much progress he's made after a few more weeks.  

There were several high glove shots already tonight. They hit his shoulder or glove. Which is lucky.

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I really didn't think Cozens played all that great of a game.

Which is great, because he still had an impact.

Hiney-Strokey has some under-rated hands.

UPL is not small. He was crouched over and there where all these players around him. He stood up and made them all look like children.

Cozens has to figure out how to make those short passes connect on the rush, because they haven't been and when they don't all the sabres forwards are skating full speed in the wrong direction.

• Like (+1) 2

NHL goaltending sure can change people’s perception of what they are watching.

Only the 3rd time since Ryan Miller left that a Sabres goalie played 4 straight games and never let in more than 2 goals in  any of them.

Ullmark did it in January of 2020, Lehner in November of 2016.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 9

UPL was sharp.  One mistake was the goal that snuck in on the short side.  

Hagg had a terrible first period.  Bryson wasn't so hot either.

Dahlin is skating better of late and playing with more confidence.  Not surprised that that coincided with Joki as his partner again.

Stop the presses there has been Bjork sighting.  I figure he got so open because even the WPG coaches and players forgot he was still in the NHL.

Thompson, VO and Skinner played an excellent game except the one shift where Wpg scored.  Still a great job by TT getting back just before the goal.  

I guess Robson belongs in the ECHL.  10 goal on 25 shots must be a world worst performance.  Great news Amerks, Dell is coming.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That is worded really stupidly, but I understand it now.  They have beaten Winnipeg 29 times, they have also beaten Edmonton 29 times. They have beaten other teams many more times than that.

Yes it is but I think u got it

Has anyone else noticed the quiet effectiveness of John Hayden lately?

Still has stone hands but he has been quite responsible and strong on pucks for a player I was calling not an NHLer a few weeks ago.

Might be a coincidence, but PK has been much improved since he started working into the rotation.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

If they don’t win, I’m going streaking 

Damn!!

Of course, I have not watched the highlights yet.  Maybe you meant the Jets not winning?

Anyway, no calls to NS from the overnight Winnerpeg (am I doing that right @Ducky??) jail, so I have to assume that all is well.

We need to take up a collection and get you a Grayhound ticket south to Minny Ha Ha ... you can take the back seat, you ramblin' man ... 😎

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dahlin is skating better of late and playing with more confidence.  Not surprised that that coincided with Joki as his partner again.

Stop the presses there has been Bjork sighting.  I figure he got so open because even the WPG coaches and players forgot he was still in the NHL.

Thompson, VO and Skinner played an excellent game except the one shift where Wpg scored.  Still a great job by TT getting back just before the goal.  

I guess Robson belongs in the ECHL.  10 goal on 25 shots must be a world worst performance.  Great news Amerks, Dell is coming.

I recall Butcher had a couple of giveaways too.  Substitute Power and Samuelson for Hagg and Butcher, and their ability to compete takes a big jump.

Another person who I thought played a good game was Hinostroza. Early in the season, I was not impressed at all, but it could've been because I kept mixing him up with Caggiula.

22 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

I recall Butcher had a couple of giveaways too.  Substitute Power and Samuelson for Hagg and Butcher, and their ability to compete takes a big jump.

Another person who I thought played a good game was Hinostroza. Early in the season, I was not impressed at all, but it could've been because I kept mixing him up with Caggiula.

No, that was Hinostroza.  Early in the season he was all speed and no hands.  Lately he's discovered what his hands are for.  Even when he wasn't contributing offensively, though, he was playing a smart game, in the right place at the right time, reading the play, etc.  Could be a chemistry thing:  You play with the same forwards for a while and things click.

8 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

When I look and see that the Sabres didn't ***** it up in the 3rd... and yes, I'll run this GIF again today. Is this the lucky gameday GIF? Can this GIF channel the same energy as Cowbell on TBD circa 2004? Time will tell. Until then, work it little man. Work it.

Excited Dance GIF

That kid’s body movements are troubling to me 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't remember Hagg being terrible.  Bryson had some bad plays. The worst play was on Murray when Bryson attempted to get him the puck in the d-zone and Murray let it float by him to go between the circles that lead to a goal.

8 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That is worded really stupidly, but I understand it now.  They have beaten Winnipeg 29 times, they have also beaten Edmonton 29 times. They have beaten other teams many more times than that.

thanks for the explanation. I was trying to draw some WHA connection

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

It’s funny how obviously Granato considers Dahlin to be our best player. He has not come off 

Observations and other funny things about Dahlin

1. He leads the team in TOI by slightly over 3.5 minutes per game over next player up Colin Miller
  2. He is tied for the lead in PPGs and leads the team in PP Points
  3. He is on a 50 point pace for the year
  4. Olofsson has been in the news for not scoring goals but he's tied for 2nd in assists and is on a 63 point pace for the year
  5. Skinner is on a 50 point pace and a 26 goal pace for the year
  6. Hinostroza has been playing well of late and has quietly been on a 38 point pace for the year
  7. Thompson and Skinner are #1 and 2 in goals but also in shots
  8. Cozens leads the team in shooting percentage and along with Asplund is on a 41 point pace for the year
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Over the past three games against upper tier teams the Sabres have played a different style of game. There is a greater emphasis toward the defense. As@Thornyhas suggested the change in style of play may be attributed to placing more emphasis on protecting the young goaltender. Although the outcomes in these past three games may be a little disappointing (some of it due to flukish reasons) the major shift in the quality of play can be attributed to the goaltending of UPL. He has been a rock. How does it translate for the rest of the season? When it comes to judging young goaltenders (and goaltenders in general) it's better to be humble and say I'm simply not sure. What I can say about UPL is that he has shown glimpses during this short stint that there is enough raw talent to indicate that he can play at an NHL level. If the franchise can get that position locked down sooner rather than later this rebuild can be accelerated.  

Beyond the team's nondescript record what is encouraging is the play of the young players such as Tage, Dahlin, Asplund, Bryson, Cozens, Olofsson (playing hurt), Joki, Mitts (currently injured) and maybe UPL can be placed as emerging players. The critical issue regarding these young players is whether they have shown enough to solidify their status as NHL players? I would say yes. And the next critical issue is whether they have more upside? I would again say yes. If you add that to how our top tier prospects are playing in Rochester then one has to be encouraged about this team's reconstruction. 

Again, I don't want to get carried away in evaluating this team based on a short stint of quality play. However, although there are going to be struggles and backsliding during this season you can see the rebuilding blueprint being executed. I strongly believe that the seeds for success have been planted. The question becomes does the owner have the patience and wisdom to see it through?  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Damn!!

Of course, I have not watched the highlights yet.  Maybe you meant the Jets not winning?

Anyway, no calls to NS from the overnight Winnerpeg (am I doing that right @Ducky??) jail, so I have to assume that all is well.

We need to take up a collection and get you a Grayhound ticket south to Minny Ha Ha ... you can take the back seat, you ramblin' man ... 😎

A Greyhound you say? Only if Thorny's in a New York State of Mind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.