GDT - Sabres @ Jets - December 14, 2021 - 8 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

46 minutes ago, jsb said:

Observations and other funny things about Dahlin

1. He leads the team in TOI by slightly over 3.5 minutes per game over next player up Colin Miller
  2. He is tied for the lead in PPGs and leads the team in PP Points
  3. He is on a 50 point pace for the year
  4. Olofsson has been in the news for not scoring goals but he's tied for 2nd in assists and is on a 63 point pace for the year
  5. Skinner is on a 50 point pace and a 26 goal pace for the year
  6. Hinostroza has been playing well of late and has quietly been on a 38 point pace for the year
  7. Thompson and Skinner are #1 and 2 in goals but also in shots
  8. Cozens leads the team in shooting percentage and along with Asplund is on a 41 point pace for the year

Granato was on WGR yesterday and said that the injury that Olofsson had affected his shooting. As he heals more he should be able to get his shooting prowess back to where it was before being injured. 

Do you want to see an example of good coaching? It is not only represented by Skinner scoring more goals but it becomes more evident in Skinner putting in a lot more energy fighting for the puck and doing his best to be defensively responsible. Also, he may be the most passionate player wearing a Sabre jersey.  And it should be noted his passing (maybe too much) is as good as it has ever been with him. Coaching matters! 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

If you are working your way up a list of the teams the Sabres have beaten the most, Winnipeg and Edmonton are now tied on that list. Relatively near the bottom, but still tied on the "teams we have beaten the most list" even though we have beaten lots of people lots more times. Like I said, it's worded really stupidly.

“Stupidly” doesn’t even come close.

”The most” has absolutely no relevance.

In fact, it would have better to say “Even with the win last night, the Sabres have beaten Winnipeg the 9th fewest times of any team in the league, other than Edmonton. Buffalo has beaten them both 29 times. Not that anyone cares.”

Twitter-with every tweet, the world is just that much dumber.

I watched most of this one. They were good early, got absolutely sh1t pumped there for a while, and then somehow turned it around. Even when they were struggling, I didn't hate watching them. As has been said, they make their mistakes while falling forward.

Something that occurred to me this morning: Days gone by, when the W/L results were similar but the style of play was quite different, the team would be criticized for a lack of effort. I think maybe what fans and writers were seeing was not a lack of effort, but a concerted kind of effort that was mistake-avoidant, reactive, passive ... the result often looked limp and lame (i.e., lacking effort). With the current approach, the team generally looks frantic and disorganized when they're struggling, but they at least they look like they're working towards getting on a front foot. And then sometimes it snaps into place, and they get rolling. I'll keep tuning in.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Has anyone else noticed the quiet effectiveness of John Hayden lately?

Still has stone hands but he has been quite responsible and strong on pucks for a player I was calling not an NHLer a few weeks ago.

Might be a coincidence, but PK has been much improved since he started working into the rotation.

Hayden's skill is digging in corners. He's a beast along the boards.

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hayden's skill is digging in corners. He's a beast along the boards.

He's playing his role. As @dudacek noted, he's got the quiet effectiveness.

The biggest change for Hayden is he's now on a line with similar grinder folks. R2 was passing to Hayden and looking for a give-and-go and such, thinking an offensive game. But Hayden's hands do not support that. Girgs is not an offense-minded center and Asplund is defensively sound first and foremost. It's a good line to match to Hayden. They just won't get much generated in the O zone unless the D-men are active.

13 hours ago, Norcal said:

So this is saying we've beaten the Jets more than any other team has, tied with Edmonton?

13 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That is worded really stupidly, but I understand it now.  They have beaten Winnipeg 29 times, they have also beaten Edmonton 29 times. They have beaten other teams many more times than that.

I thought it was saying both Buffalo and Edmonton have beaten Winnipeg 29 times

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

I think it's saying the Sabres have beaten both the Jets and Oilers 29 times which is tied for most in Sabres franchise history. 

Think you are right, looking at the list of their all-time mark against teams:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BUF/head2head.html

What a weird tweet, as I don't see what about the 29 is a record or "most" in history..

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

He's playing his role. As @dudacek noted, he's got the quiet effectiveness.

The biggest change for Hayden is he's now on a line with similar grinder folks. R2 was passing to Hayden and looking for a give-and-go and such, thinking an offensive game. But Hayden's hands do not support that. Girgs is not an offense-minded center and Asplund is defensively sound first and foremost. It's a good line to match to Hayden. They just won't get much generated in the O zone unless the D-men are active.

That said, the other two guys do have some offensive touch.  I look forward to a feed to the slot by Asplund that's so fine even Haydon can convert it. 

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I haven’t seen any of UPL’s games as a Sabre this year.  You know what this means?  As soon as I tune in, he will $hit the bed. 

The solution here is obvious.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What a weird tweet, as I don't see what about the 29 is a record or "most" in history..

Yeah I don't really know why he posted it. The tweeter has started to expand his content but usually just compares current Sabres to former.

I found him under the Sabres tag a few months ago on Twitter with all the other SabresTwits. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Granato on Dahlin: "I mean, he’s a great player and he’s going to make more plays than he’s going to give the other team. And that’s going to be a progressive thing.”

Dahlin was such a presence out there. Seeing him in person, it struck me for the first time how massive he is out there, he seemed to dwarf Scheifele and Scheifele is a big dude. Dahlin made a really nice play with his reach, on a poke check at some point during the game and, I think for the first time I appreciated the type of game this guy is going to have when he's 26/27, in his prime - if he continues travelling down his long and winding development path, it *is* a more Hedman-type game we can expect from him. That is to say, I've been troubled by his raw speed and acceleration, and seeing his ability to drive the puck down the ice I think melded in my brain with the thought he could have a game, to use a modern player, like say Hughes. People talked Erik Karlsson too as he was coming up.

But he's really not that - he'll be a player, with experience honed, that commands the game with a stabilizing, commanding presence (once he reels in the mistakes) who transcends that role through his ability to make the skill plays of a smaller player, rather than a player who's game is founded on that flash. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's relative. The Jets looked like they just got off a long plane flight. But that's fine. Nice to see a team not show up for us.

Honestly, so many of the Sabres games I've seen here in Winnipeg have involved the Sabres having to play on the second night of a back-to-back, so it was refreshing that wasn't the case this time. We hear a lot about how the Jets are adversely affected by their tough travel schedule but they also benefit from teams having to venture into central canada on big road trips (complete with those back to backs, usually Minnesota), which is an underplayed point

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I watched most of this one. They were good early, got absolutely sh1t pumped there for a while, and then somehow turned it around. Even when they were struggling, I didn't hate watching them. As has been said, they make their mistakes while falling forward.

Something that occurred to me this morning: Days gone by, when the W/L results were similar but the style of play was quite different, the team would be criticized for a lack of effort. I think maybe what fans and writers were seeing was not a lack of effort, but a concerted kind of effort that was mistake-avoidant, reactive, passive ... the result often looked limp and lame (i.e., lacking effort). With the current approach, the team generally looks frantic and disorganized when they're struggling, but they at least they look like they're working towards getting on a front foot. And then sometimes it snaps into place, and they get rolling. I'll keep tuning in.

It's a great observation. 

Personally, I've never been one to think the effort has been lacking, in general 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

What I see there is if the Sabres were to play the Leafs every game and maintain their .598 pt%, they'd make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Nope. They've beaten Montreal over 100 times for example. It's saying that those two franchises are now tied on the most beaten list by Buffalo. 

Badly worded. There's list which the Tweet calls "most beaten lest", of which the Jest and Eulers are tied at 29.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.