GDT: Capitals @ Sabres 12/11 @7 pm

bob_sauve28

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

If he continues to play well up here, why a need to send him down?  If he struggles or is too inconsistent, yes , back to Rochester.

because I'd prefer all the kids down there grow together and experience winning. Having him in Rochester helps them win too. So he gets a taste here which is fine, but then can go back and work on things that may have come up, keep gaining confidence, and excel at that level so that he's truly ready next year and we don't do a Carter Hart on him. Winning NEXT year I am hoping will matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

because I'd prefer all the kids down there grow together and experience winning. Having him in Rochester helps them win too. So he gets a taste here which is fine, but then can go back and work on things that may have come up, keep gaining confidence, and excel at that level so that he's truly ready next year and we don't do a Carter Hart on him. Winning NEXT year I am hoping will matter. 

Sometimes players excel playing at the higher level, for now at least, he seems to be playing better in Buffalo than Rochester. If he's ready, he's ready.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Sometimes players excel playing at the higher level, for now at least, he seems to be playing better in Buffalo than Rochester. If he's ready, he's ready.

It's too soon to proclaim that. Goalies take time to get everything together. I'm just afraid we will break another top prospect by rushing him. We have a habit of doing that. 

46 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ummm, well, I guess I watch different games. Now I was entertained with a close even game, but that was a very depleted Caps line up and we played about the same as a lot of other games this year where better (or less depleted) teams beat us. I really didn't see a whole lot of difference.

The Cozens line, as is becoming the case every night, was once again our best line. Cozens is our best player right now bar none, and I think he's just going to keep getting better. The line works, but it could be even better if Murray would play a little less passive and more assertive. I'm hoping the coaches get him to eventually do that.

UPL is showing the promise we hoped he would but I'd still prefer him in Rochester this year. This season is a wright off, let the kid develop. Send him back down as soon as we can. 

Signs of promise, usual issues, but again, this one was entertaining. 

I wasn’t aware of the Caps injuries but Buffalo played with some energy tonight. They really did.  No team would feel sorry for us if half of our players were out.  

41 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Maybe they asked if He was interested and He declined. 🤷 

He may not want to promote gambling? 

I thought Murray and Hayden played their best game to date.

UPL was outstanding playing the second game of a back-to-back night. 

I have often pointed out Dahlin's less than stellar playmaking decisions, tonight I thought was one of his best games. I didn't witness any bad give-aways and he was making some nice plays and joined the rush on multiple occasions.

Edit;

Just to add...

This was once again a very entertaining game. The Sabres looked good and could have won. The had a lot of energy and pushed play for much of the night. Those that no longer watch out of frustration missed  a good game.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

I am surprised that he is so much better than last year given his play in the AHL. 

I would keep playing him, if he gets inconsistent he goes back to Rochester.  He hasn’t been on a road trip yet either.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SABRESfan said:

I wasn’t aware of the Caps injuries but Buffalo played with some energy tonight. They really did.  No team would feel sorry for us if half of our players were out.  

What’s the shame is, is that the broadcast crew should be providing insight to their opponent in depth each game, and I often see the Buffalo MSG team fail to do this on a regular basis.  We should know all their injuries, recent line changes and discussions on their forums, because that’s the freaking job of the telecast.  I watched the Rangers and Caps broadcasts recently and it was filled with conversations about the past few games the Sabres played, almost like they spend time watching games, researching and preparing.  Joe Micheletti Is not exactly a young color analyst.  Well, actually in comparison to Sam Rosen maybe his is.  Point being this guy works for his check. His commentary was filled with insight on Mitts surgery, Tage’s performance this year at Center, how Tage played last time they player in NYC, the injuries of Tuch, Peyton Krebs as the prospect in the trade, the Sabres starting 5 goalies this year, who the other four were and injuries to Anderson and Tokarski.  They even did a spotlight on Victor Friday night.  Maybe the enlightened fans here who have Centre Ice and watch 7 games a week know this of all opposing teams, but the average fan for the Rangers or Caps enjoy the luxury of learning and understanding a little about the team they are playing because of a well executed and prepared broadcast team. The Sabres desperately need to watch what other teams are doing and demand better. Our fans deserve so much better.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, klos1963 said:

He's better than he was in preseason, but still needs work.  Send him down when Subban is ready.

There were long stretches where Buffalo looked like they could run with Washington, and long stretches where Washington looked like the better team.  Because they are.

Overall, I enjoyed the game, but I didn’t really expect them to end up with 2 points.  This is the sort of game and effort I was hoping they could sustain into the late season.

This is the type of game that develops the kids.  Let’s keep adequate goaltending on the roster so the skaters have the confidence to keep this level of play for the remainder of the season.

• Like (+1) 8

7 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

What’s the shame is, is that the broadcast crew should be providing insight to their opponent in depth each game, and I often see the Buffalo MSG team fail to do this on a regular basis.  We should know all their injuries, recent line changes and discussions on their forums, because that’s the freaking job of the telecast.  I watched the Rangers and Caps broadcasts recently and it was filled with conversations about the past few games the Sabres played, almost like they spend time watching games, researching and preparing.  Joe Micheletti Is not exactly a young color analyst.  Well, actually in comparison to Sam Rosen maybe his is.  Point being this guy works for his check. His commentary was filled with insight on Mitts surgery, Tage’s performance this year at Center, how Tage played last time they player in NYC, the injuries of Tuch, Peyton Krebs as the prospect in the trade, the Sabres starting 5 goalies this year, who the other four were and injuries to Anderson and Tokarski.  They even did a spotlight on Victor Friday night.  Maybe the enlightened fans here who have Centre Ice and watch 7 games a week know this of all opposing teams, but the average fan for the Rangers or Caps enjoy the luxury of learning and understanding a little about the team they are playing because of a well executed and prepared broadcast team. The Sabres desperately need to watch what other teams are doing and demand better. Our fans deserve so much better.  

As you noted the Washington broadcasters made more comments about our individual players and recent play in this game than in a typical Buffalo covered game. There was simply a lot more detail in their coverage than the shallow coverage of the local broadcast team. Maybe it is due to fresh eyes calling the games rather than the home team broadcast that has become jaded covering this team for the past number of years. As you indicate the contrast in quality of coverage is clearly evident. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SABRESfan said:

I’ll tell you what.. if this team plays like they did tonight on a regular basis???  They won’t be hitting posts and crossbars for long.  I expect a winning streak incoming.  That’s right I said it!

When they did play like this and didnt hit posts they lost too. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want the Sabres to allow 40+ SOG through 3 periods and OT. Luckily UPL played well because if Subban or Dell were in, the Sabres would not have made it to a SO. 

52 minutes ago, Weave said:

There were long stretches where Buffalo looked like they could run with Washington, and long stretches where Washington looked like the better team.  Because they are.

Overall, I enjoyed the game, but I didn’t really expect them to end up with 2 points.  This is the sort of game and effort I was hoping they could sustain into the late season.

This is the type of game that develops the kids.  Let’s keep adequate goaltending on the roster so the skaters have the confidence to keep this level of play for the remainder of the season.

I got the same sensation about this game as you did. If you combine the Ranger game with this game that also included good goaltending and sustained effort those are positive takeaways. In both games it was evident that the opposition was more talented. And in both games it never seemed that we were overmatched. That in itself is encouraging. Of course there is still a long way to go before this team becomes a serious team. However, the trajectory is up and the entertainment value is there. Baby steps forward is better than baby steps back.  

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m sticking with my earlier opinion: the Sabres arent talented enough, but work hard enough to be competitive when they get goaltending.

Most teams(all teams) are expected and in fact do work hard, this is no special accomplishment. They gave up 40 shots, it was goaltending, hard work or not, that kept them in this game. Let's not be happy that the team works hard, that should be a given.

29 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Most teams(all teams) are expected and in fact do work hard, this is no special accomplishment. They gave up 40 shots, it was goaltending, hard work or not, that kept them in this game. Let's not be happy that the team works hard, that should be a given.

But you know that it’s not a given.

And that it’s harder to sustain when you aren’t good enough, and when you don’t trust your goalie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.