GDT, Nov. 18: The Flames of Calgary @ The Sabres of Buffalo, 7PM (MSG, SN360)

Thorny

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're joking right? You really think adding Mitts and Joker to this line up would have changed anything? 

Come on, push you’re prejudices aside. If Anderson was healthy, he would started and Toker wouldn’t have back-to-back starts. That’s just addressing one player. I’m not sure we would’ve won, but fairly certain we wouldn’t have been embarrassed 5-0. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're joking right? You really think adding Mitts and Joker to this line up would have changed anything? 

Yes.  Maybe not only those two in today’s outcome but the team will be much better with Mitts, VO, Joker and Tuch.  Mitts was developing into a decent 2C, a 1C on this team.  VO was improving all around and his offensive skills are in need, especially on the PP.  Joker will send Butcher go back to #7.   Tuch is going to help a lot too.  

Take R2, Bork, Hayden, Dracula, and Hiney-Stroka.  Three of these five will be sitting when the others guys come back.  Plus Butcher.  How can we not get better?  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Eh.  It's a young team, they're gonna take their lumps.  Even good teams get thrashed once in while.  I recall back to back conference final games were each team got thrashed 6-0 by the other team.  Just like Toker said the other night, you can't get too high after a win, can't get too low after a loss.

Not really all that young. We are the 11th youngest, but we are dead center in between the youngest team and the oldest team.

Well that sucked... 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Not really all that young. We are the 11th youngest, but we are dead center in between the youngest team and the oldest team.

Maybe not on D... but forwards are either young or JAGs on fourth line and a few sprinkled in up top... Can't wait til Ollie, Tuch and Mitts comeback... Next year Power, Quinn, Peterka and Krebs start contributing.  Till then... it is enjoyable most nights to watch the hustle.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Maybe this is the problem with promoting your "hockey savvy" crowd.  A hockey savvy crowd knew they were going to get their ***** handed to them tonight and stayed home.

I have so much scorn for this franchise and it's ownership right now the only enjoyment I derive from this is throwing feces at them whenever possible. I realize many of you don't like it and I look forward to the day where they are once again quasi-trustworthy so I can find other uses for my feces. Maybe I'll start a garden. That day is not today though.

Yeh but your feces were not needed tonight... they crapped their own bed... Sabres could start their own garden without you.

Edited by North Buffalo

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Come on, push you’re prejudices aside. If Anderson was healthy, he would started and Toker wouldn’t have back-to-back starts. That’s just addressing one player. I’m not sure we would’ve won, but fairly certain we wouldn’t have been embarrassed 5-0. 

So you're blaming the goaltending rather than the fact that Calgary owned the slot and pretty much the entire offensive zone? Really? 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Yes.  Maybe not only those two in today’s outcome but the team will be much better with Mitts, VO, Joker and Tuch.  Mitts was developing into a decent 2C, a 1C on this team.  VO was improving all around and his offensive skills are in need, especially on the PP.  Joker will send Butcher go back to #7.   Tuch is going to help a lot too.  

Take R2, Bork, Hayden, Dracula, and Hiney-Stroka.  Three of these five will be sitting when the others guys come back.  Plus Butcher.  How can we not get better?  

Bjork and Hayden were not our worst players tonight. The Cozens line with those wingers you hate was imo our best line (although no line was good). 

A guy like Tuch would help against a team like Calgary for sure, but I'm not counting him yet as he hasn't played a game. I'm also reserving an opinion on Joker. Him and Dahlin in preseason were awful. 

45 minutes ago, SDS said:

True.  We are not that young with the current group of Vets and JAGs.  We should get younger next year if the line from Rochester moves up. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So you're blaming the goaltending rather than the fact that Calgary owned the slot and pretty much the entire offensive zone? Really? 

Hasek was  supernaturally good .

The world will never see goaltending like that again.

Our perspectives were permanently skewed..-But even then our 90s D was tougher than this crew.

• SDS unpinned this topic

This game fits entirely with what I thought the Sabres will be this year. I think we will be an NHL .500ish team that finishes 24thish overall. Over a long 82 game season we will have some games where we sneak up on good teams who are not at their best. We will also have games against good veteran teams that are near the top of their games and when those nights happen we will struggle to keep it from being bad. Last night was one of those bad nights. There will be more. 

A reasonable goal for the team is to finish 5th in the Atlantic. To be the best of the bad bottom half of the division. To pass Mtl, Ott and Det. To be a bad but young NHL team that is on the rise. 

• Like (+1) 6

Unfortunately, as the season grinds down I think we are going to see more of these.  Teams are already starting to mind the standings.  Teams are going to tighten up.  They are going to increase their intensity.  It is going to be a tremendous challenge for out guys to not let it affect their play.

• Like (+1) 1

Getting dominated night in and night out after 10 years of it results in 4000people at the games. Hopefully when everyone comes back in a few months it will be more competitive. I will say Granato is doing a lot with what he has. I’m amazed we won 7 games although we are a shell of what we were the first few weeks once the film was out. This is simply a team devoid of any top end talent, that on every night, all other (save Arizona) teams have. We can do nothing but wait this out and keep our hope on drafting and development. 

Edited by Gatorman0519

14 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Getting dominated night in and night out after 10 years of it results in 4000people at the games. Hopefully when everyone comes back in a few months it will be more competitive. I will say Granato is doing a lot with what he has. I’m amazed we won 7 games although we are a shell of what we were the first few weeks once the film was out. This is simply a team devoid of any top end talent, that on every night, all other (save Arizona) teams have. We can do nothing but wait this out and keep our hope on drafting and development. 

Help is on the way but let’s not forget they are missing 4 of their best players if not actually their best players.  Mitts, Joker, Vic and Anderson are missed dearly.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

Help is on the way but let’s not forget they are missing 4 of their best players if not actually their best players.  Mitts, Joker, Vic and Anderson are missed dearly.  

That is on point and don’t forget Tuch. Adding all of that talent will win a few games.

I hate losing and like most of the people here it has been a tough ten years. I see some progress and the long term outlook looks promising. It just tries our patience to watch it unfold at the current pace.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, inkman said:

I alluded to that. But even so they are still years away. You’ll know when we turn the corner when the barn fills up again. It just stinks waiting. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.