GDT, Nov. 18: The Flames of Calgary @ The Sabres of Buffalo, 7PM (MSG, SN360)

Thorny

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If their two top scorers were out and Olli and Mitts were healthy the game would have been closer for sure 

They have d-men who are good at taking the puck away.  I shut it off at 2-0 but we were having trouble on the forecheck, and getting pucks in danger areas.  Seemed like the line changes were even sloppy at times.  They also got dominated on the dot.  

8 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

They have d-men who are good at taking the puck away.  I shut it off at 2-0 but we were having trouble on the forecheck, and getting pucks in danger areas.  Seemed like the line changes were even sloppy at times.  They also got dominated on the dot.  

Ya, we had no room to move out there. They really had the interference thing down, I mean all forecheckers got bumped. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bjork and Hayden were not our worst players tonight. The Cozens line with those wingers you hate was imo our best line (although no line was good). 

A guy like Tuch would help against a team like Calgary for sure, but I'm not counting him yet as he hasn't played a game. I'm also reserving an opinion on Joker. Him and Dahlin in preseason were awful. 

What I’m talking about is improving the current cast.  We can do that simply by getting our 5 players off of IR.  While I don’t “hate” any of the 5 wingers I mentioned, we need to improve on them as we progress to a playoff contender, a playoff team, a Cup contender, etc.   Same with the defense and goaltending were we have prospects in various stages of development.     

Granato had Joker in his first pairing with Dahlin.  That tells me something.   I am very confident that Joker is an improvement over Butcher. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, calti said:

Hasek was  supernaturally good .

The world will never see goaltending like that again.

Our perspectives were permanently skewed..-bBut even then our 90s D was tougher than this crew.

Even our early 70’s crew was physically tougher than this crew.  This crew is patchwork, they are holding up OK most nights but there is a lot lacking - some of it is forward play too.  

I don’t know how Power, Samuelsson, and Johnson will turn out but we will eventually need a few strong defensemen that can clear the front of the net and take care of business.   Samuelsson maybe. Power maybe. Johnson looks like he could be a good skater and a fast transition guy.  Dahlin, Joker, Bryson do not show much of a physical side yet.  Miller, Psysk, and Hagg are not long term players.  

It is so hard to find those big physical defensemen that have puck skills too. Hoping on Power for now. 

37 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Even our early 70’s crew was physically tougher than this crew.  This crew is patchwork, they are holding up OK most nights but there is a lot lacking - some of it is forward play too.  

I don’t know how Power, Samuelsson, and Johnson will turn out but we will eventually need a few strong defensemen that can clear the front of the net and take care of business.   Samuelsson maybe. Power maybe. Johnson looks like he could be a good skater and a fast transition guy.  Dahlin, Joker, Bryson do not show much of a physical side yet.  Miller, Psysk, and Hagg are not long term players.  

It is so hard to find those big physical defensemen that have puck skills too. Hoping on Power for now. 

Korab and Schoenfeld--neither of them great skill guys. But they were as tough as it gets. Each of them easily 220 and fearless. Other team went into our corner with fear..and that messed up their game.  So i would take a halfway decent puckhandler who is an enforcer vs a better puckhandler who is soft and gets pushed around.

7 minutes ago, calti said:

Korab and Schoenfeld--neither of them great skill guys. But they were as tough as it gets. Each of them easily 220 and fearless. Other team went into our corner with fear..and that messed up their game.  So i would take a halfway decent puckhandler who is an enforcer vs a better puckhandler who is soft and gets pushed around.

Which is why McAvoy is and will always be a much better player than Dahlin. 

(This one will eat at me forever because I wanted McAvoy that year and idiot Murray took Nylander)

9 hours ago, calti said:

My comments apply to the game back in the 70’s  

Korab had very good skills.  He played on the first PP unit. Look at his stats. He had a great shot and could move the puck, he could carry it too.  

Schoeny was a stay at home shot blocker.  He took on any assignment.  

They both excelled on the PK.  

I would submit they had very good skills in their era. 

The game is different today - conditioning, skill, and speed are the important things.  They don’t grow them they way you are thinking. Those types are rare. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Korab had very good skills.  He played on the first PP unit. Look at his stats. He had a great shot and could move the puck, he could carry it too.  

Ya, back then Schoeny was considered pretty skilled and an all around player. If I remember correctly Korab played forward for a while with Chicago before we got him. He could move the puck.

• Like (+1) 1

This Sabres team, mostly devoid of high-end talent after trading away its top two forwards and its "toughest" defenseman, is also of course missing its current "top" C, its best pure shooter on the wing, one of its best D, and I'm probably forgetting someone else. That seems to be set aside by those fans who are disconsolate over these lopsided games. 

On the contrary, I'd argue that it's kind of amazing when this current roster keeps games competitive, innit? 

9 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

This Sabres team, mostly devoid of high-end talent after trading away its top two forwards and its "toughest" defenseman, is also of course missing its current "top" C, its best pure shooter on the wing, one of its best D, and I'm probably forgetting someone else. That seems to be set aside by those fans who are disconsolate over these lopsided games. 

On the contrary, I'd argue that it's kind of amazing when this current roster keeps games competitive, innit? 

Well, yeah, it is.  Except they didn't have to blow everything up.  Yes, yes, we know there was no way guys that were going to FA a year from now would re-sign and the captain was a doody head &, & ...  Maybe it works out, but considering it's 2 more years of losing hockey, it becomes frustrating.

And maybe those guys do re-sign.  Anybody else remember the angst TB felt when Stamkos tested FA?  How'd that work out?

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The game is different today - conditioning, skill, and speed are the important things.  They don’t grow them they way you are thinking. Those types are rare. 

not sure what u r getting at..Schoeny and  Korab would kick ass in today's game despite having slightly less speed than today's softies on the sabres.

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, back then Schoeny was considered pretty skilled and an all around player. If I remember correctly Korab played forward for a while with Chicago before we got him. He could move the puck.

which is why i made the adjustment to say that their skills MAY be slightly less than todays players.Doesnt mean i didnt think they were skilled.  When players fought for the puck in the corners or went in on goal vs Korab or schoeny they very quickly became less skilled when they knew they were gonna be battered and bruised.Same thing would be a factor in today's game.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, calti said:

which is why i made the adjustment to say that their skills MAY be slightly less than todays players.Doesnt mean i didnt think they were skilled.  When players fought for the puck in the corners or went in on goal vs Korab or schoeny they very quickly became less skilled when they knew they were gonna be battered and bruised.Same thing would be a factor in today's game.

Yup. Not addressing this to you, but often when people compare the players and the game from different eras they just look at how the game is played today and say those guys weren't as good but they fail to consider the necessity of certain different skills and physical elements from that era. For example you had to be much bigger and stronger to be a forward in front of the net as you'd get hacked and whacked and cross checked continually. Defensemen would get pasted into the boards if they went into the corners with their back turned the way they do today. Face planting a guy was pretty much legal in those days. You had to have strength against the boards for freezing pucks. Lots of rules were different and D men generally had to be bigger and stronger and the smaller puck moving guys had trouble and generally never made it out of the AHL. 

It was just a different game. 

21 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yup. Not addressing this to you, but often when people compare the players and the game from different eras they just look at how the game is played today and say those guys weren't as good but they fail to consider the necessity of certain different skills and physical elements from that era. For example you had to be much bigger and stronger to be a forward in front of the net as you'd get hacked and whacked and cross checked continually. Defensemen would get pasted into the boards if they went into the corners with their back turned the way they do today. Face planting a guy was pretty much legal in those days. You had to have strength against the boards for freezing pucks. Lots of rules were different and D men generally had to be bigger and stronger and the smaller puck moving guys had trouble and generally never made it out of the AHL. 

It was just a different game. 

right on the money

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.