Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Apparently it’s a faux pas to refer to the country being invaded by Russia as “the Ukraine”. It’s just “Ukraine”. As it, “Russia has invaded Ukraine”. 

Correct.

I don't live in The Canada.  You don't live in The USA ... never mind that one.

It's not The Russia.  The Sweeden.  The Italy.  The France.  The Germany.  The Poland ...

On 3/6/2022 at 12:59 PM, Curt said:

Yeah, I basically said that in the post you quoted.

My point was that this is an extremely common thing (place names spelled differently in different languages.  It’s not a Russia-Ukraine thing.

If we want to be really serious, then the word “Kiev” is certainly not Russian.  Russian uses an entirely different alphabet.  It’s the Russian alphabet spelling transcribed into the Latin alphabet, which is an in exact science anyway.

By all means, Latin alphabet users should spell it the way that Ukraine requests.  But the spelling difference isn’t something that Russia created in order to diminish Ukraine.  It’s a super common thing that happens with place names worldwide.

Bombay vs Mumbai.  Peking vs Beijing.  Mispronunciations of cities is common and changes over time.  I had a Ukrainian neighbor who was from Kiev (that is how she said it) after WWII.  It is an interesting topic for me.

12 hours ago, French Collection said:

Leafs lose to the Desert Dogs in OT.

Go get ‘‘em Sabres!

Hottest offense in the league in the desert. Since defeating the Avs 2-1, the Coyotes have scored 22 goals in their last 3 games. Winners of 4 straight. Should never have traded Hutton. That's not how you tank.

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

Nice. Vegas is trying to hold on to that last playoff spot. Let’s root for EDM. 

No, I want the draft pick this year, not next.

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Suspend him

Yes.  That's illegal even in boxing FFS.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

The Vegas pick is top 10 protected, not playoff protected. Vegas would have to win the lottery for us to not get their pick this year.

I'm aware.  I don't want any chances of them slipping into that top 10 OR winning the lottery.

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm aware.  I don't want any chances of them slipping into that top 10 OR winning the lottery.

I hope that the puck doesn’t slide to next year too.

I think the chances of it being top 10 are pretty small though.  Vegas would need to lose at least 4-5 more conservative to get down in the top ten range, and the for draft slots in the 16-12 range the odds of moving up with the lottery range from just 2-5% so that feels very safe.  I hope they miss the playoffs.

I would rather the pick slide to 2023 than for Vegas to make a run to the conference finals and end up with a pick 29-32.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I hope that the puck doesn’t slide to next year too.

I think the chances of it being top 10 are pretty small though.  Vegas would need to lose at least 4-5 more conservative to get down in the top ten range, and the for draft slots in the 16-12 range the odds of moving up with the lottery range from just 2-5% so that feels very safe.  I hope they miss the playoffs.

I would rather the pick slide to 2023 than for Vegas to make a run to the conference finals and end up with a pick 29-32.

What does the Vegas cap situation look like for next year? Are they going to be forced to have a yard sale?

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

What does the Vegas cap situation look like for next year? Are they going to be forced to have a yard sale?

They will need to move a player, but not one of their top guys.  I see no reason why they couldn’t be among the very teams in the league next season.

37 minutes ago, Curt said:

They will need to move a player, but not one of their top guys.  I see no reason why they couldn’t be among the very teams in the league next season.

Is Mark Stone on LTIR for a legitimate reason? That’s contract looks like it’s going to be an anchor around their neck for sometime. Looks like Reilly Smith will be gone. Likely a couple more, depending on their contracts. 

16 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Is Mark Stone on LTIR for a legitimate reason? That’s contract looks like it’s going to be an anchor around their neck for sometime. Looks like Reilly Smith will be gone. Likely a couple more, depending on their contracts. 

It’ll suck in four years, but he’s still playing at a 1C level.  Better than a point per game.  

57 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think defense wins championships. You're talking about a team that's 83mil against the cap next year with 2 rfa defenders and 4 rfa forwards, plus some questionable goaltending.