Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

Nifty burst but he got a bit lucky on the finish as it looks like he loses control. 

Regardless, he’s got 5 points in 7, and is a plus player for those who care about that - he’s been good, especially for a guy coming back from surgery. 

48 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

👀

Is this a league wide policy? I know that political signs have long been barred from sporting events, but this is the first I’ve heard of actual flags being disallowed. 

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Is this a league wide policy? I know that political signs have long been barred from sporting events, but this is the first I’ve heard of actual flags being disallowed. 

Washington is in a weird position.  It's not just a national capital; it is a national capital that is about as high-profile as it gets.  Paris and London are in that category, and not too many other cities.  

I headed down there last Sunday.  If you didn't know better, you could think that you were in downtown Kiev given the number of parades down Connecticut Avenue and demonstrators everywhere.  It was truly wonderful to see all that blue and gold everywhere--those Ukrainians do love their Sabres!

Seriously, though, a lot of people on the Internet are jumping to a conclusion that this is being done just to mollify Ovechkin.  And maybe it is.  Or maybe it is about not having the Verizon Center turn into a massive demonstration.

Or maybe it's a hoax.  It hasn't been confirmed, outside of the same photo flying around the world, as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Washington is in a weird position.  It's not just a national capital; it is a national capital that is about as high-profile as it gets.  Paris and London are in that category, and not too many other cities.  

I headed down there last Sunday.  If you didn't know better, you could think that you were in downtown Kiev given the number of parades down Connecticut Avenue and demonstrators everywhere.  It was truly wonderful to see all that blue and gold everywhere--those Ukrainians do love their Sabres!

Seriously, though, a lot of people on the Internet are jumping to a conclusion that this is being done just to mollify Ovechkin.  And maybe it is.  Or maybe it is about not having the Verizon Center turn into a massive demonstration.

Or maybe it's a hoax.  It hasn't been confirmed, outside of the same photo flying around the world, as far as I can tell.

Slava Malamud had been militant in his criticism of Ovi.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Agree with all of this. Still wondering if it’s a league wide mandate. After all, there are Russian players throughout the league. Some of them super stars like OV. 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Isn't it Kyiv not Kiev?

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Isn't it Kyiv not Kiev?

I guess?  You grow up spelling something one way, it becomes awfully difficult to change.  I get what Ukraine is doing with the spelling change and approve of it, but it'll be a while before I'm used to typing it differently.  I'm sure people know what city I mean.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I guess?  You grow up spelling something one way, it becomes awfully difficult to change.  I get what Ukraine is doing with the spelling change and approve of it, but it'll be a while before I'm used to typing it differently.  I'm sure people know what city I mean.

Is it still Bombay too?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Is it still Bombay too?

Sometimes.  I do forget "Mumbai" sometimes.  And it can get more confusing--is it Myanmar or Burma?  England says the latter, we are on the former, the country, which probably wasn't even one until European powers started drawing lines, is divided.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Kyiv is Ukranian while Kiev is Russian.

Similar things go for Beijing (Peking), Mumbai (Bombay), and Kolkata (Calcutta).

Beijing is written on my mind because of Tianmen; Calcutta, because of St. Teresa.  (And please, pllleeeaaassseee don't get on her.  Her job was not to provide medical help, no matter what the Internet thinks.  Her job was palliative care.)

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The Ukrainian embassy did post something prior to the war to the tune of ‘please use Kyiv not Kiev’. The latter is the Russian accent and well, they don’t like Russia. 

And life goes on.  Ukraine wasn't a freaking country when I grew up.  I'm doing what I can, and I support them in this war no matter how I spell Kiev.  Geez.

23 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Smith with a hat trick.  The only time this year I can be happy about that.

Vegas has dropped 6 of their last 8, only beating SJ twice in this stretch.  

My schaden is freuding.

I'm not sure you can talk about your schaden on this forum.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Isn't it Kyiv not Kiev?

It depends.  If you're a russophile, it's Kiev.  That's the transliteration from Russian.  Transliterated from Ukrainian, it's Kyiv.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Is it still Bombay too?

In my mind, yes.  I know it's wrong but I can't get it outta my head.

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

Simple common sense is what informed this decision. If you have people with Ukrainian flags heckling Ovie there is a really good chance that there will be Caps fans who take issue with it and you end up with a very ugly scene taking place in the stands.

• Like (+1) 1