Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Interesting story behind that. Apparently Kiev is the Russian way of saying Kyiv. It's a way of "erasing" Ukrainianess. Which is what Russia had been trying to do for years.

I think is a bit much.  Many places have different names based on the language that is being spoken.  It’s a pretty common thing worldwide.

In this situation I can understand why Ukraine requested that the Ukrainian spelling be used, and Russia could certainly use the spelling as a subtle way of undermining Ukrainianness, but that is not the origin of the spelling difference.

• Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think is a bit much.  Many places have different names based on the language that is being spoken.  It’s a pretty common thing worldwide.

In this situation I can understand why Ukraine requested that the Ukrainian spelling be used, and Russia could certainly use the spelling as a subtle way of undermining Ukrainianness, but that is not the origin of the spelling difference.

None of this matters when Ukraine government itself asked western media to not use the Russian spelling anymore 

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

None of this matters when Ukraine government itself asked western media to not use the Russian spelling anymore 

Sure it matters, it’s just a different discussion.  The spelling difference wasn’t a creation by Russia to eliminate Ukraine.  It’s just something that exists for linguistic reasons.

This explanation of origin is separate from, and has no impact on what spelling western media should use.  (They should use the Ukrainian spelling  because Ukraine asked them to.)

4 hours ago, Curt said:

Background: back in the 1980's, the Cleveland Chess association had teams of Ukrainians, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Ukrainians, Belarusians, Georgians, Moldovans, and Armenians.

The players went out of their way to let you know that they were NOT Russian in any way, shape, or form.  The community centres flew their non-Soviet, non-Russian national flags.  They are very proud of their national heritage.  As a Sikh who sees that the Indian constitution does not recognise my religion and therefore denies part of my identity (particularly when the BJP are in power), I go just as far out of my way to say their names, cities, etc. the way they want.  YMMV.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yep.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

He was a top-10 pick but it appears that he isn’t good.

I remember a ton of discussion about him.

He's still young, maybe he'll still turn it around. 

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

I remember a ton of discussion about him.

He's still young, maybe he'll still turn it around. 

I wouldn't mind the Sabres taking a flyer on a LHD at $750K / yr even though RHD is more in need right now.  But I'd keep him on a very tight leash.

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Turkey is now Turkiye

No really look it up. The Turkish people are going back to Turkiye. My wife has a shirt she bought in Turkey in 2002 and thats how it was spelled. Turkiye is the Ottoman.

now back to the original programming. How bout them Sabres?

Edited by bunomatic
  • Like (+1) 1

That Washington Capitals / Ukraine thing from a couple of days ago is looking more and more like a hoax.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:05 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

👀

Has this been debunked now?  I have seen nothing of it since that day.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

That Washington Capitals / Ukraine thing from a couple of days ago is looking more and more like a hoax.

Has this been debunked now?  I have seen nothing of it since that day.

Russian intelligence disinfo?

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

No really look it up. The Turkish people are going back to Turkiye. My wife has a shirt she bought in Turkey in 2002 and thats how it was spelled. Turkiye is the Ottoman.

now back to the original programming. How bout them Sabres?

Turkey is English.

Türkiye is Turkish.

This move maked sense.  That is always the way it has been in Turkey Türkiye.

I have a shirt from Istanbul with Türkiye on it from 2008.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:18 AM, Curt said:

It's not just a spelling difference.  It's a language difference.  Kyiv (pronounced Keev) is Ukranian.  Kiev is Russian.