Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Barring an utter collapse by Nashville, LA or Minnesota, they are effectively in 2 races:

• with Edmonton for the 3rd seed in the Pacific
  • with Winnipeg and Dallas for 2nd wild card.

Edmonton is pacing for 96 points, Dallas 92 and Winnipeg 89.

Vegas is pacing for 90, so as of right now, they’d be out.

But they have a ton of games in hand with points already in the bank.

Its going to be tight, but they are losing ground and need to stop the slide now.

I’m not sure I’m reading the standings the same as you. It seems as though they’ve been caught and it’s the other teams that have games in hand. 

On 3/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, GoPre said:

Okay fellas - Any of you ever wear a Sabres shirt or jersey to a game the Sabres are not in?  Attending a Bruins/Penguins game, in Boston for the marathon, next month.  Wondering if it’s worth doing I’m sure the stupid. 😬😂

So against the rules.  

On 3/13/2022 at 4:30 PM, Broken Ankles said:

office space no GIF

Correct.  

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I’m not sure I’m reading the standings the same as you. It seems as though they’ve been caught and it’s the other teams that have games in hand. 

Correct, sorry for the confusing post.

It is the other teams who have games in hand and have to cash them in.

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So against the rules.  

Correct.  

Do you not see all sorts of sweaters at Sabres games?  I can't think of the last one I went to where someone was NOT wearing a California Seals sweater, for example.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Do you not see all sorts of sweaters at Sabres games?  I can't think of the last one I went to where someone was NOT wearing a California Seals sweater, for example.

I can’t imagine why wearing a third-party jersey would matter. A fan of hockey should be able to wear anything they want.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack Eichel is 4th in points per game from the 2015 NHL draft. Granted he's played on a bad team but still.

Which of those players around him have played on great teams? What’s more telling is that on a point per game basis there are a slew of players that are really close to him and none of them were ever considered generational.

Just now, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Points per game is different.  I thought yous all were talking about points total.

Carrion !!

He's 4th in total points as well but you said "he's been injured and missed games" so I adjusted it for games missed. 

Just now, SDS said:

Which of those players around him have played on great teams? What’s more telling is that on a point per game basis there are a slew of players that are really close to him and none of them were ever considered generational.

Mikko Rantanen and Mitch Marner certainly play on far better teams than Jack Eichel did. Sebastian Aho is just below Jack and he plays for a good Carolina team. 

Aho. Connor. and Barzal are the only players just below but close-ish to Eichel. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Points per game is different.  I thought yous all were talking about points total.

Carrion !!

His game totals are not wildly different from everyone else around him. McDavid is the only one with significantly more games.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft/nhl-entry-draft/2015

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

His game totals are not wildly different from everyone else around him. McDavid is the only one with significantly more games.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft/nhl-entry-draft/2015

Marner, Aho, and Connor have all played 1 less season in the NHL than Eichel. Rantanen is the only other player near him with 7 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's 4th in total points as well but you said "he's been injured and missed games" so I adjusted it for games missed. 

Mikko Rantanen and Mitch Marner certainly play on far better teams than Jack Eichel did. Sebastian Aho is just below Jack and he plays for a good Carolina team. 

Aho. Connor. and Barzal are the only players just below but close-ish to Eichel. 

I’m not sure those teams were all that great for the last 6+ years. Some are competitive now. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I’m not sure those teams were all that great for the last 6+ years. Some are competitive now. 

They were better than the Sabres. in 2016, the Leafs finished lower than Buffalo (which is how they got Matthews) and in 2017 the Avalanche finished below Buffalo. Those are the only 2 times since Eichel was drafted Colorado, Toronto, Carolina, or even Edmonton finished below Buffalo. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Marner, Aho, and Connor have all played 1 less season in the NHL than Eichel. Rantanen is the only other player near him with 7 seasons. 

Hanifin is the only one with a full season up on Jack. McDavid is close. Everyone else is around a third of the season or less. 

I think the point is, there is McDavid and there’s a bunch of other people that produced just like Jack.

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

While the Sabres have been bad since Jack came here they did make sure he had some quality line-mates and he always got the most minutes. That can't be said for all those around him in a point/game comparison since 2015.

Such as?

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

On a sidenote, while we have been focused on Vegas, the Dretroit Redwings are in free fall. 

Are you implying that maybe they could be caught in the division?

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Such as?

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-7-nhl-seasons-players-stats.html

TOI         ES       PP     SH       G/GP     A/GP       P/GP

40 Sebastian Aho              18:44     14:55    2:47   1:02   0.4080   .495        0.903

41 Gabriel Landeskog       19:52      15:37    3:28   0:46  0.3680   .460        0.827

42 Taylor Hall                     18:41      15:40    2:54    0:06   0.304    0.551      0.855

43 Filip Forsberg               18:14      14:31    2:49    0:53    0.410     0.426    0.836

44 Brayden Schenn           18:18      14:58    3:00   0:19   0.319     0.445      0.764

45 Elias Lindholm              19:02      14:33    2:46  1:42   0.285     0.451        0.737

46 Sean Monahan             17:56       14:29    3:07  0:19    0.322    0.417        0.739

47 Mike Hoffman               17:21       14:19     3:00  0:01    0.353    0.402       0.755

48 Jack Eichel                      20:16       16:26    3:25  0:24    0.370    0.566       0.936

49 Vladimir Tarasenko      18:18        15:11    2:56  0:09    0.424     0.466      0.889

50 Max Pacioretty             18:14        14:47   2:44  0:41    0.397      0.406      0.803

I did this compariosion since 2015. Time on ice and per game stats. Very few players that are in the top 50 in points since 2015 get over 20 minutes a game.

• Like (+1) 1