Ristolainen extension for Philly

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Risto is a good dude and a physical player but sadly his experience has yet to change his inability to defend or choose his spots in the slightest. He is pretty much the same player he was 4 or 5 years ago who has an overwhelming urge to abandon his position to hit someone.

I have one friend who is a big Flyers fan and I have on occasion browsed some of the Philly message forums.  What is interesting is in less than 1 year a good portion fo the fanbase there (at least those who post) mirror his reaction to the buffalo fan base:

-When the trade happened, most liked the trade. Though it was a steep price to pay but they were getting a very very good physical d-man that was held down in Buffalo. A few (minority) didn't like the trade because of his analytics numbers.

-A month or so ago 'while he was not playing and injured' I noticed that now it was closer to 50-50 whether flyers fans liked him....maybe leaning slightly toward not liking him.  A common thing that my friend mentions when I talk to him and what you can read on the flyers forums:  Physical D-man, often takes himself out of the play to make a hit, Seems to have all the offensive tools you want but his production lags a bit, and Flyers probably better off trading him to get something back rather than re-signing him.

I admit I only browse other teams forums when I am really bored and have time, so I probably missed 75% or more of the discussion about him, but the exposure I do have is very close to what many of us learned about him for his time here.

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I wonder how things would have panned out for Ristolainen's ice time and metrics this season if 1st pair RHD Ryan Ellis hadn't missed the entire season (4 games played, now on LTIR).

Not much better. He's more than likely to be a boat anchor to his line mate rather than being lifted up by him.

Edited by woods-racer

12 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Not much better. He's more than likely to be a boat anchor to his line mate rather than being lifted up by him.

After some research, it'd probably a very different world. Risto is way below the D-leaders in PP TOI average (0:48 seconds vs. Provorov, Yandle, and York who are all 2:00 or over). With Braun playing above him in the lineup, and a healthy Ellis, Ristolainen is likely playing on the third pairing with Yandle. Yandle is a tire fire this season. With Risto, their corsi or +/- would be abysmal. However... they'd only play 12 minutes a night which is what Yandle is getting even with all PP2 time.

If Ellis is healthy, Risto might be looking at a $2-3M extension or outright free agency... except for that the GM traded for him, therefore Risto is his guy and needs to be extended.

(And yet I still think that if he got to UFA... there's a GM out there somewhere who would sign Risto to $6M/year to be PP2 and be that super tough physical guy who would be a playoff menace.)

Setting aside Ristolainen's performance with the Sabres.

I try to put myself in a player's shoes.  At this point in his career is it entirely about money and term?  Why wouldn't he take a chance on becoming a UFA and signing a 1 year  deal with one of the contenders in the hopes of winning a cup?  Philly had a tough year and I don't think they'll take a big enough step next season to be a playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Digger said:

Setting aside Ristolainen's performance with the Sabres.

I try to put myself in a player's shoes.  At this point in his career is it entirely about money and term?  Why wouldn't he take a chance on becoming a UFA and signing a 1 year  deal with one of the contenders in the hopes of winning a cup?  Philly had a tough year and I don't think they'll take a big enough step next season to be a playoff team.

If I were Risto, I would have tried for a playoff team. Philly is gonna be bad. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.