Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

Ok, several people whom I know insisted that 11 goals was just one short the record of 12, also mysteriously set by the Pens.

We Sabres fans know better, and we also know that our team's 14 goals against the Caps and Leaves ALSO is not the record.

So, with Taro on Lent leave, what is the record?

There is a modern answer and a @PASabre answer.  I'm more interested in the modern one.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Ok, several people whom I know insisted that 11 goals was just one short the record of 12, also mysteriously set by the Pens.

We Sabres fans know better, and we also know that our team's 14 goals against the Caps and Leaves ALSO is not the record.

There is a modern answer and a @PASabre answer.  I'm more interested in the modern one.

There is the famous 15-0 shellacking of the Rangers by the Red Wings at the Olympia during WWII.

Edit: after looking it up, this is it.  23 January 1944.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

Six. Ask my high school beau Eleanor.

15 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The Ducks have lost 9 games in a row. Another team I was informed was so much further along then the Sabres. Hmm

Phil Robertson and his family have been hunting them down, haven’t they?

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Holland has been bad for years but no one wants to say it. 

And yet, I‘ve been seeing a pattern for years when it comes to sports: if you can’t make it in Buffalo, you can’t make it anywhere else. Unless there’s something I’m missing, our beloved city has become a coaches’ and GMs’ graveyard. There have been very few exceptions to this, such as Scotty Bowman. Possibly Bobby Hurley with the work he did at UB men’s basketball.

I guess if your résumé includes a legendary and storied franchise, you get a pass. If not, then your career is over, and the only job you’ll get is coaching youth hockey or youth football. (Yes, I’m being facetious with the last sentence, but there may be a kernel of truth in it as well.)

Seems to me that @SDS’s meme about Jack Eichel the other day with the listing ship could also apply to said Ken Holland. Yes? No? Maybe?

12 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Detroit loses 11-2 to Pens. This must be wrong though. I have been told Yzerman is a genius and can do no wrong and Detroit are light years ahead of Buffalo because of Yzerman’s pure genius.

It’s hard to bring oneself to fire a legend. Success on the ice/court/field doesn’t always translate to coaching/FO success. We’ve seen much of the opposite as of late. Wayne Gretzky, Mike Singletary, and Michael Jordan - to name a few.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Six. Ask my high school beau Eleanor.

And…when is your 50th high school reunion? Was it last year? 5 years ago? Ten?

14 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Detroit loses 11-2 to Pens. This must be wrong though. I have been told Yzerman is a genius and can do no wrong and Detroit are light years ahead of Buffalo because of Yzerman’s pure genius.

I would take Stevie Y in a heartbeat. His rebuild results and the Wings trajectory is very similar to Buffalo. 

Yzerman was hired in April 2019. If you give him credit for the June 2019 entry draft, his first round pick that year is an NHL regular defensemen at age 20 this year (one selection ahead of Cozens).  Their second round pick is akin to our Ryan Johnson in both age and college status. 
His 2020 first round selection, Lucas Raymond, is a 20 goal scorer in his rookie year this year. He is our version of Jack Quinn. And don’t forget this was the year that Detroit was AWFUL (39 points in 71 games, yet only got #4 overall).  He inherited one of the worst teams in NHL history. 
BTW,,His second round pick is on a two year deal in Sweden. I’m sure Modo would tell us all about him if Modo still posted. For Buffalo, Peterka is in the AHL. 

Bad organizations don’t get good overnight and I would trust Yzerman over GMKA (however I am hopeful for Kevy). 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/28/2022 at 9:36 AM, Porous Five Hole said:

I would trust Yzerman over GMKA (however I am hopeful for Kevy).

In my mind the biggest difference between the two is track record (which is undeniable for Yzerman).  Hopefully in a few years we'll be looking back and seeing that Kevyn on par with Stevie Y.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

That was more Will Smith than Todd Bertuzi but prolly a fine. Maybe nothing.

There's a distinct disconnect sometimes with hockey fans about how violent something is.

Compare the danger of sideways swipe of a glove hand to the face here with the full follow-through leg and shoulder drive of a crosscheck stick to the neck in the Dahlin/Matthews incident.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

If I needed more proof that my hockey fandom was sort of spotty in the late 80s, here it is. I can barely recall who this dude is/was.

So... you DID NOT KNOW THAT?

I was going for something there.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

If I needed more proof that my hockey fandom was sort of spotty in the late 80s, here it is. I can barely recall who this dude is/was.

I was in college in the late 80's. If it didn't have a twist off top or big hair there was little interest.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I mean, LOOK at this mofo.

image.thumb.png.a6d2acf5127a757ab4e962289bdedacf.png

is he about to sell me some homeowners insurance? or be the 1st US player to score 50+50 in a season?

You where OOOHHH so close!

https://thehockeywriters.com/what-ever-happened-to-jimmy-carson/

Well, Carson embarked on a new career as a financial advisor.  A quote from former owner of the Los Angeles Kings, Bruce McNall says about Carson’s decision to leave hockey: (LA Times)

“In a weird way, I knew Jimmy’s heart was not as much into it,” says McNall of his friend, who neither smoked, drank nor partied with teammates. “He was an intellectual, multidimensional guy, read the Wall Street Journal, and so many other players just don’t have his opportunities and interests. So I always thought, deep down, that maybe long-term hockey wouldn’t be for him.”

@Curt See, they go to class!

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

You where OOOHHH so close!

https://thehockeywriters.com/what-ever-happened-to-jimmy-carson/

Well, Carson embarked on a new career as a financial advisor.  A quote from former owner of the Los Angeles Kings, Bruce McNall says about Carson’s decision to leave hockey: (LA Times)

“In a weird way, I knew Jimmy’s heart was not as much into it,” says McNall of his friend, who neither smoked, drank nor partied with teammates. “He was an intellectual, multidimensional guy, read the Wall Street Journal, and so many other players just don’t have his opportunities and interests. So I always thought, deep down, that maybe long-term hockey wouldn’t be for him.”

Holy spit - that is incredible. When I looked at his hockeydb, his stats were curious. He absolutely tore it up in years 1 and 2, got shipped to EDM in the Gretzky deal, tore it up there for a year … and then soon thereafter got shipped to DET (maybe too hard to be in EDM as part of that trade?) … and things started to fade. He even wound his way back to LA at one point for a while. Fascinating.

• Like (+1) 1

I found this story pretty interesting.  Drury was a real catalyst of changing and improving the culture when he joined the Sabres as a player.  This story (if entirely true) doesn't seem to support Lafreniere who I would assume is proud of his heritage and would gladly give an interview answer in French. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Digger said:

I found this story pretty interesting.  Drury was a real catalyst of changing and improving the culture when he joined the Sabres as a player.  This story (if entirely true) doesn't seem to support Lafreniere who I would assume is proud of his heritage and would gladly give an interview answer in French. 

Chris Drury is kind of a dick and it's strange ppl haven't picked up on it. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Chris Drury is kind of a dick and it's strange ppl haven't picked up on it. 

I thought we all kind of knew that but didn't really care because he was in a Sabres uniform and not destroying the team. 

dick-duff-1964-38.jpg

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1