Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

Was at the Colorado vs VGK game. Eichel looked pretty good for not playing in 11 months. Yeah he had two penalties but nothing to worry about. I still think they trade some players before the deadline to create space. We shall see. But I really believe this trade helps both teams. I love Tuch and Krebs since I have seen both play here in Vegas but I’m also a huge Eichel fan. So it’s a win win.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

What is this?

Game wasn't delayed.  TNT's coverage was delayed because they didn't have enough time between the early game & the late game.  For future reference TNT, NHL games that DON'T go to OT take 2:40 to play; those that DO go to OT take longer.  The 2:30 hours alloted for a basketball game won't work for a hockey game.  Friggin' putzes.

For future reference, if TNT has a double header going, might want to record True TV at the time slot the 2nd game is supposed to start.  That's where they flipped the beginning of the Avs-Vegas game. 

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

2 losses for Vegas since Jack has dressed.

And O'Reilly's Blues were dead last in that 1st January (mainly due to a fluke of scheduling having played fewer games than anybody else but supplanted by poor coaching & poor goaltending) but pretty sure it worked out OK for them.

Be careful taking too much schadenfreude from the start of the Vegas Eichel era.

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Thorny said:

Jack picks up his first point with the Knights on a quick little pass showcasing that vision we all love so much. 

That’s a pretty low bar for a vision compliment. Do you mean his eyes were open?

5 hours ago, SDS said:

That’s a pretty low bar for a vision compliment. Do you mean his eyes were open?

It’s funny cause the announcer in the video mentions his vision specifically lol

Sorry SDS, he’s no Peyton “Little Wayne” Krebs 😄

Edited by Thorny

49 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Sabres were a bottom feeder already.

Just noting that he hasn’t brought the magic.

Good thing it’s considered a team sport. Otherwise people would be tempted to blame one individual on wins and losses. 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Just saying’ that I didn’t like Vegas to begin with and will not cheer for them to succeed.

I’m not a Jack hater, he just never fueled my Sabres fire. 

When his contract is up and he signs with Boston his fans will get to see him more often.

I won't worry about it much by then if it does happen.

I EXPECT the Sabres to be a much better team then (in 4-5 seaons), Guys like Mitts, Cozens, Dhalin, Quinn, Power, Peterka, all will be entering their prime then. Tage and Tuch will be at the end of it but hopefully still productive.

Eichel at that point will be 30, and  with him having numerous injuries in his career already, likely at the end of the prime of his career. Still a dangerous player? Yep, likely so. But if he signs a 5-7 year contract as a 30 year old for $10-$12 million per year (or more, pending the cap), I view that as something that will hurt the Bruins (Cap wise) more than it will help them.  The Bruins up front look pretty weak a few years out, and their farm system has basically no blue-chippers.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2022 at 10:22 PM, CallawaySabres said:

I've watched more of this Panthers Canes game than any Sabres game this season. Reino ties it up with 45 seconds to go.

Very few are doubting how good the Panthers are, but I have watched a few of their games and took a deep look at their roster....this team should be dominant for the next few years.  I'm talking hard-to-lose-the-division, Tampa level dominance.

Up front they have 6 guys who are playing at a 20-30 goal, 65+ point pace (in some cases a lot more than that, Barkhov is at a 50 goal pace, Bennet and Duclair at a 40+ goal pace) ALL of those guys are 25-28 years old....just entering the prime of their career. ALL of them are locked up on contract through at least this year and next year....With Reinhart, Bennet, Barkov, and Duclair locked up beyond that at only $24 million for all 4 of them per year.  Cap hit will not be an issue for this team and they can keep ALL of their up front core without a problem and add to it each  year.

On the D-side of things: Ekblad, Weeger, Forsling, and Gudas are near the top of the league in terms of how quality of a top 4 core they are.  All of them are locked up for at least 1-2 more years, with Ekblad for 3 more years after this year. Their ages? 26, 28, 25, and 31.  They are pretty young also.  Having Montour locked up for 2 more years at only $3.5 million as part of your third pair is pretty good too.

I can't see how this team can screw things up. They are going to be tough to get by, and should pretty much take one of the top 3 spots in the division automatically for the next 2-3 years at least.   Tampa, Boston, Toronto, a rising Detroit team and everyone else (including the Sabres, of course) are going to have to scrape and fight for one of the 2 remining playoff spots in the division.