Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Throws temper tantrum, sucker punches unsuspecting goalie, then sticks him in the face.

Selfishly makes self unavailable  to his fading team for at least 5 games.

Yep, the type of player we should aspire to being more like.

(Did we all see the play earlier when Jerry was trying to flip the puck to a fan in the stands during a break and Marchand snuck in and knocked it away? Class act, that guy)

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Let’s see ….

Multiple repeat offender. Suspended several times. Plays for Boston. 

Predict 1 to 3 games 

Does in-person mean 5 minimum?

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Throws temper tantrum, sucker punches unsuspecting goalie, then sticks him in the face.

Selfishly makes self unavailable  to his fading team for at least 5 games.

Yep, the type of player we should aspire to being more like.

(Did we all see the play earlier when Jerry was trying to flip the puck to a fan in the stands during a break and Marchand snuck in and knocked it away? Class act, that guy)

Does in-person mean 5 minimum?

Oh there's more to this as well. This was earlier in the game... 

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

I thought it meant 5+ games is in play, not minimum.

I thought so too… maybe I’m just misremembering… But I could’ve sworn that there has been a few in person hearing situations that Have received less than 5 games. But again I could be wrong about it.

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Makes sense.  It's HIS fault Price & Weber have been injured and that Kokateniemi & Danault are gone.  😕

No idea how anyone could think the Habs would be good again. Their prospect pool is weak and they can't ride goaltending. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

No idea how anyone could think the Habs would be good again. Their prospect pool is weak and they can't ride goaltending. 

But, they were in the Finals last season.  It was nothing like the fluke of FLA getting there to hand the Avs their 1st SC victory.  This Habs team strode confidently into the playoffs in the best division in hockey, defeated a playoff juggernaut in TO, pounded arguably the best team in the entire NHL that clearly isn't a product of its goaltending in the Jets, and then won another round after Price was in the groove.  They NEARLY beat the Bolts too; missed it by THAT much.  😒

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But, they were in the Finals last season.  It was nothing like the fluke of FLA getting there to hand the Avs their 1st SC victory.  This Habs team strode confidently into the playoffs in the best division in hockey, defeated a playoff juggernaut in TO, pounded arguably the best team in the entire NHL that clearly isn't a product of its goaltending in the Jets, and then won another round after Price was in the groove.  They NEARLY beat the Bolts too; missed it by THAT much.  😒

I forgot how the first 3 games of that series were the bolts just beating the crap out of Montreal. -9 goal differential through 3 games in that series. 

I think Montreal looked at Vegas series and believed that's who they really were. Then they lost a bunch of vital pieces and still thought that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I forgot how the first 3 games of that series were the bolts just beating the crap out of Montreal. -9 goal differential through 3 games in that series. 

I think Montreal looked at Vegas series and believed that's who they really were. Then they lost a bunch of vital pieces and still thought that. 

Possibly.  Would expect that any pro athletes having unexpected success tend to believe it's more on them than the opponent or circumstance, but the SC Playoffs are full of teams that outdid expectations & then just got #### stomped in the Finals.  Goes all the way back to the Blues in the 60's (though those teams actually did what was expected at all stages of the playoffs; the West was really bad & everybody knew the East finals were the real battle for the SC), the Rags in '79, Minny & Vancouver getting stomped by the Aisles, Minny again vs the Pens, the Caps vs Detroit, Swamp Cats vs Avs; just to name a few.

If Price & the ST could've stayed magical they had a shot, but they couldn't & TB, especially w/ reinforcements, was a beast.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Makes sense.  It's HIS fault Price & Weber have been injured and that Kokateniemi & Danault are gone.  😕

Watching the Canadiens from last year to this is like watching the demise of the Hasek-era Sabres condensed into a single offseason "highlights" package.

Lose your all-world goalie (Hasek), your all-minutes D-man (Zhitnik), your heart-and-soul defensive center who has been know to score goals (Peca), an up-and-coming high draft pick (...really that Sabres team didn't have an equivalent so I'll play the pick angle and go Rasmussen), the cagey vet forward Corey Perry who was money in the playoffs (Ward), your rentals like Staal (... Juneau?), and replace them all with AHLers. For fun, stir in some Hutton-level or worse goaltending as a replacement on all rostered goalies.... Voila!

• Haha (+1) 3

Marchand has been suspended 7 times, including for 3 games already this season. https://www.nhl.com/news/boston-bruins-brad-marchand-to-have-hearing-with-nhl-department-of-player-safety/c-330627952?tid=277549076  

In this game, with 24 seconds left and the game out of reach, he sucker punches a goalie, then switches his stick grip so he can reach the blade to his right, then skates/pushes through a referee to spear at the goalie's -- throat? eyes? This is clear intent to injure an opponent. What if he just so happened to get his stick blade in Jarry's mask?

The previous 7 suspensions didn't change behavior. So obviously he hasn't learned and his punishments have not been a detriment to his team for them to curb his actions. There's nothing wrong with the league stepping in and giving him the "suspended indefinitely" tag, is there? Let he and the Bruins sweat it out. Trading deadline coming up and they ask about status. "Suspended indefinitely." Playoffs coming up? "Suspended indefinitely." Give no indication he'll ever be reinstated. Maybe then as the paychecks keep missing and the team can't plan for him, it would impact behavior. Because he's a damn good hockey player when he's actually playing hockey and not attempting to hurt people -- good enough to be on Canada's top line, no less.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/7/2022 at 7:54 PM, dudacek said:

I’d say a true contender typically has the following:

A core that includes a sniper, a power forward, a playmaker, a 2-way C, a minutes-munching D, and a starting goalie - at least one of which is elite.

It also has at least one good offensive and one good defensive D-man to complement the stud and add situational and/or special teams depth and 5-8 other secondary players who add some scoring and have a skill set that complements the strengths and weaknesses of the core.

And it’s got depth beyond that capable of being more than filler.

Right now, one could argue the Sabre may have the power forward (Tuch) and the stud D (Dahlin) even though neither has proven that over term. At the very least they are a strong secondary player and a good offensive defenceman, respectively.

Olofsson (healthy), Thompson, Okposo, Skinner, Mittelstadt (healthy) and Jokiharju look like serviceable secondary pieces.

Girgensons, Hinostroza, Cozens, Asplund, Bryson, Miller, Pysyk, Samuelsson, Anderson have shown they can be more than filler in depth roles.

So, at best, the Sabres are still 4 core pieces and 2 secondary pieces away.

Any hopium comes from the possibility Quinn, Krebs, Peterka, Power, Levi, Luukkonnen, Johnson, Samuelsson and Cozens (and to a lesser extent Mitts, Tage and Joker) all having the potential to become those pieces.

A point producing 1C is also almost always a cog on a contending roster as well

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A point producing 1C is also almost always a cog on a contending roster as well

For sure, but I was more thinking of forward profiles than positions: Matthews (sniper), Messier (power forward) Gretzky (playmaker), Bergeron (2-way) all point-producing 1Cs. I guess I did specify the 2-way player as a C, so I can see why that wasn't clear.

• Thanks (+1) 1