Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

17 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Good stuff.  Thank you for sharing.  The corollary to the rule about  UFA's is to make sure the few that you do select can contribute, especially come the Playoffs.  If you assume 16% then that is ~ 4 players on the team.  I would argue that David Perron, Tyler Bozak and Pat Maroon were essential to the St. Louis Blues Cup run.   Where as our stable of UFA's Caggiula, Vinnie, Anderson and Eakin are not in the same class.   It's essential for Adams to add a player or two next season that can and will contribute the the overall success of the team. 

Here's the thing:  That chart is not a prescription, it's a description.  The Sabres should not be looking for "4 good free agents" to fill some quota, they should be improving the team by all means available.

No one is talking about the trade aspect very much, but realistically we think of players coming up through the system but some came to the system via trade (Devon Levi, for example, hasn't seen any AHL time yet but his rights were traded for).  Also, how does it count players that were drafted using other teams' picks acquired in a trade?  Are those "drafted" or "traded for" players?

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Here's the thing:  That chart is not a prescription, it's a description.  The Sabres should not be looking for "4 good free agents" to fill some quota, they should be improving the team by all means available.

No one is talking about the trade aspect very much, but realistically we think of players coming up through the system but some came to the system via trade (Devon Levi, for example, hasn't seen any AHL time yet but his rights were traded for).  Also, how does it count players that were drafted using other teams' picks acquired in a trade?  Are those "drafted" or "traded for" players?

Krebs, Tuch, and Levi would be 3 players we traded for. Tage as well. 

I think if you draft them at all they count as you drafting them. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Underlying numbers suggest goaltending is propping up a NYR team that isn't quite as good as some think. Depending on the 2 players they could get better though, shame they only wanted to trade Chris Drury's pocket lint for Eichel. 

Interesting way of looking at things.

How many players away are the Sabres: 12? 15?

How many of the missing players are already in the system and can grow into those slots?

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Interesting way of looking at things.

How many players away are the Sabres: 12? 15?

How many of the missing players are already in the system and can grow into those slots?

Completely depends on the timeline.

If the Q is: how many players away are they TODAY.  The answer may very well be 15+.  2 goalies, at least 4 D, & ~9 forwards all aren't good enough to be given solid roles on a contender.  But those kids can grow & most of them will.

If the Q is: how many players are the Sabres away from being a legit contender in '25 (or, more pessimistically '26) the answer very well might be 2-3.  (Our luck, that's not the case, but it could be.)  They absolutely have gaps at RD.  But most all the rest of the spots might be filled well enough if 1 of the goalies is a true stud AND they have 3 (or even 4) high end 2C's on the roster.

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If the Q is: how many players away are they TODAY.  The answer may very well be 15+.  2 goalies, at least 4 D, & ~9 forwards all aren't good enough to be given solid roles on a contender.  But those kids can grow & most of them will.

If the Q is: how many players are the Sabres away from being a legit contender in '25 (or, more pessimistically '26) the answer very well might be 2-3.  (Our luck, that's not the case, but it could be.)  They absolutely have gaps at RD.  But most all the rest of the spots might be filled well enough if 1 of the goalies is a true stud AND they have 3 (or even 4) high end 2C's on the roster.

I’d say a true contender typically has the following:

A core that includes a sniper, a power forward, a playmaker, a 2-way C, a minutes-munching D, and a starting goalie - at least one of which is elite.

It also has at least one good offensive and one good defensive D-man to complement the stud and add situational and/or special teams depth and 5-8 other secondary players who add some scoring and have a skill set that complements the strengths and weaknesses of the core.

And it’s got depth beyond that capable of being more than filler.

Right now, one could argue the Sabre may have the power forward (Tuch) and the stud D (Dahlin) even though neither has proven that over term. At the very least they are a strong secondary player and a good offensive defenceman, respectively.

Olofsson (healthy), Thompson, Okposo, Skinner, Mittelstadt (healthy) and Jokiharju look like serviceable secondary pieces.

Girgensons, Hinostroza, Cozens, Asplund, Bryson, Miller, Pysyk, Samuelsson, Anderson have shown they can be more than filler in depth roles.

So, at best, the Sabres are still 4 core pieces and 2 secondary pieces away.

Any hopium comes from the possibility Quinn, Krebs, Peterka, Power, Levi, Luukkonnen, Johnson, Samuelsson and Cozens (and to a lesser extent Mitts, Tage and Joker) all having the potential to become those pieces.

18 hours ago, Taro T said:

I don't think I agree with that. Especially when 2022 starts and Quinn, Krebs, Cozens, and Peterka all have another offseason of growth. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think I agree with that. Especially when 2022 starts and Quinn, Krebs, Cozens, and Peterka all have another offseason of growth. 

We're IN 2022 and the time frame in the post you quoted that you think you disagree with stated that it was from the perspective LITERALLY of today.

Obviously, the picture changes next season (& the following seasons as well).

You are also, obviously, free to agree or disagree w/ whatever you'd like, but it seems like a really strange statement to say (paraphrasing) "no, can't agree that 9 or so F's on the roster today wouldn't be good enough to have substantial roles on a contender because next season there will be better players on the roster."  🤔

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

His GM job in Portland went away once the Bruins took over affiliation there. So is this a real job or just a place holder till the end of the season?

Likely, although it's being hailed as a promotion to include more responsibilities at the NHL level.

It's just more fallout from the Coyote's purchase and relocation of the Springfield Falcons in 2016, part of the ferris wheel of AHL/ECHL and NHL team affiliate regionalization.

Springfield Falcons AHL -> Tuscon Roadrunners AHL (ARI)

Portland Pirates AHL -> Springfield Thunderbirds AHL (STL)

(Anchorage) Alaska Aces ECHL -> (Portland) Maine Mariners ECHL (now BOS)

Lehigh Valley Phantoms are the Flyers' AHL affiliate and are GM'd by Flyers President/GM Chuck Fletcher, although the Phantoms are not owned by the Flyers or their parent company, Comcast Spectacor.  Reading Royals are the Flyers' ECHL affiliate and are GM'd by David Farrar.  Comast Spectacor also owns the Maine Mariners ECHL (BOS, formerly PHI).

The Royal's owner, who bought them immediately before COVID, is the Berks County Convention Center Authority and they're reeling in losses from having two arenas closed for COVID.

It would make sense for the Flyers' and Bruins' franchise values for Comcast to sell the Mariners to the Bruins' Jeremy Jacobs.  Comcast could then buy the Reading Royals, and potentially install Briere as GM of the Phantoms and/or Royals.  But it's hard to tell if Comcast would do it, because Comcast also has the arena management contract for the Maine arena, and they don't have that for the Reading arena.  Dolla dolla bill y'all.

Or they could just promote Briere to a Flyers' AGM role, whichever.

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

We're IN 2022 and the time frame in the post you quoted that you think you disagree with stated that it was from the perspective LITERALLY of today.

Obviously, the picture changes next season (& the following seasons as well).

You are also, obviously, free to agree or disagree w/ whatever you'd like, but it seems like a really strange statement to say (paraphrasing) "no, can't agree that 9 or so F's on the roster today wouldn't be good enough to have substantial roles on a contender because next season there will be better players on the roster."  🤔

Cool. Guess everyone wants to be an ass around here today. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

His GM job in Portland went away once the Bruins took over affiliation there. So is this a real job or just a place holder till the end of the season?

Oh god, he isn’t the Assistant General Manager, he is the Assistant to the General Manager.  I feel like there is a meme for this or something.

23 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Why this thug is still allowed to play escapes me.  Every freaking season he does something like this.

But but but …. We would love him on the Sabres!

BULL FUNKING SHEET!!! He’s a scum bag and I simply don’t like the way he plays the game. And I’m not referring to point production. 

No one has, and no one will risk a long suspension by going hardcore on his ass. And I mean hardcore. Not to cause a career ending injury. But juuuuust shy of that would be great. Looking forward to his retirement. Scum bag….

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Anybody know what triggered the little rat faced git to go postal?  Not that it matters, just curious.

Will be very interested in finding out how long his suspension is.

I know that earlier in the game, Jarry made a great save, tried to toss the puck into the crowd, and ratso prevented that, but that's all I know.

• Thanks (+1) 1