NHL Owners approve Ads on Jerseys Starting for the 2022-23 Season

Brawndo

What a mess. Ever see the MLS kits they sell retail? More add than anything else, very ugly. One has to strain to even find the team name or logo. This will be interesting to see given how much hockey fans like to buy jerseys. They should tread lightly. 

24 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

What a mess. Ever see the MLS kits they sell retail? More add than anything else, very ugly. One has to strain to even find the team name or logo. This will be interesting to see given how much hockey fans like to buy jerseys. They should tread lightly. 

European jerseys look like NASCAR race cars. I'm sure the NHL isn't going that far...yet.

Why-The-NHL-Shouldnt-Place-Ads-On-Jersey

Of course, no one said ads only have to go on jerseys....

nico-pink.png

Zacha-Newtons.png

• Haha (+1) 1

Some of these are pretty funny.

I don't see anything like this happeneing.

As far as MLS goes, Toronto FC (since I like FC I do not say that they are from The Great Satan, even though they are) kits are fine ... a big BMO on the front, but Bank of Montreal is their big sponsor and is paying for all of it.  BMO Field, BMO this and that and the other thing too ...

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

It starts with a patch and only grows from there...

My biggest advertising gripe was introduced this past year on the TV broadcast when the screen would shrink in to be bordered with ads, it was very disorienting and made me feel uncomfortable. 

Now THIS I agree is a travesty. I didn’t get to catch many MSG streams this year but there was a game where Mittelstadt scored and the screen shrunk right as he took his shot so a lot of people, myself included, lost track of play and got confused.

38 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Some of these are pretty funny.

I don't see anything like this happeneing.

As far as MLS goes, Toronto FC (since I like FC I do not say that they are from The Great Satan, even though they are) kits are fine ... a big BMO on the front, but Bank of Montreal is their big sponsor and is paying for all of it.  BMO Field, BMO this and that and the other thing too ...

Yea, this isn’t going to happen. It’ll be one or two small patches at most. I don’t see it ever becoming more unless the league suddenly has a financial collapse.

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

It’s not going to be anything like MLS. Sponsor-dominant jerseys is a soccer and European hockey exclusive thing. There is nothing to worry about.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

and we only get hurt by it. 

It won't hurt me in the slightest.  If it hurts you, well I'm sorry if you feel butt hurt.

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I'm with you.  Just imagining...

This opening face off is brought to you by Lancome make-up.

That offside is brought to you by Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe Law, LLC.

The NHL is brought to you by Delta Airlines -- the official airline of Hockey in the United States.

This icing call was brought to you by Jenny's Ice Cream.

They already do that.

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

mightytaco-logo.png

They were a mighty failure in Rochester. 

7 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

My biggest advertising gripe was introduced this past year on the TV broadcast when the screen would shrink in to be bordered with ads, it was very disorienting and made me feel uncomfortable. 

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one. The way they did it was super distracting and obnoxious. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Hoss said:

Now THIS I agree is a travesty. I didn’t get to catch many MSG streams this year but there was a game where Mittelstadt scored and the screen shrunk right as he took his shot so a lot of people, myself included, lost track of play and got confused.

Yea, this isn’t going to happen. It’ll be one or two small patches at most. I don’t see it ever becoming more unless the league suddenly has a financial collapse.

It’s not going to be anything like MLS. Sponsor-dominant jerseys is a soccer and European hockey exclusive thing. There is nothing to worry about.

Owners had no fans in the stands for majority of games. And they let the players get paid full salaries for a shortened season.  And didn't reduce the cap or anything from a revenue sharing perspective.

So they sold as much ad space as possible.  The boards, the seat coverings, and yes - they would show mid-game ads.  I don't blame them at all.  Hell i wouldn't have blamed them if the sabres were the buffalo Pepsi's for a year if it kept the ice cold so i could watch hockey.  Wrestling promotions did the same thing, so did the olympics.  If there aren't fans you kinda have to do something to generate some dollars.

20 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I agree. Just have a small ticker across the bottom like other networks. Annoying but better than all those cig climbing commercials every break. Terrible! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.