NHL Owners approve Ads on Jerseys Starting for the 2022-23 Season

Brawndo

On 8/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hello NASCAR or EPL.

They need to suppliment their revenue, so I get it.  

How does it work?  Will each team get their own sponsor and charge whatever the  market will bear, or is there some kind of revenue sharing, or whatever?

Have you seen the Liiga (Finland) jerseys? They have more patches on them than @inkmanprobably has tattoos.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FogBat said:

Have you seen the Liiga (Finland) jerseys? They have more patches on them than @inkmanprobably has tattoos.

Sorry, no I don't follow Finish football / hockey (??).  I know that European hockey ads are way over the top, but they don't have the revenue streams that NHL teams have.

The chicken wing thread got me to thinking — maybe the Sabres could do something really creative and in the process take the edge off an idea that is so distasteful to many.

Slap a chicken wing on the sweater. It might even look like it belongs. Then, just like that time we had a new captain every month, have a new chicken wing establishment sponsor every month. National joints like Buffalo Wild Wings would be a no-brainer. Throw in the locals. Maybe even the National Chicken Wing Festival.

You artistically celebrate a little piece of Buffalo history at the same time you're selling an ad. The catch is that, in my mind, you get a standard bold font under the chicken wing with your name, not your own logo, which would really clutter up the patch.

Is this idea mild, medium, hot or so stupid it's suicidal?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The chicken wing thread got me to thinking — maybe the Sabres could do something really creative and in the process take the edge off an idea that is so distasteful to many.

Slap a chicken wing on the sweater. It might even look like it belongs. Then, just like that time we had a new captain every month, have a new chicken wing establishment sponsor every month. National joints like Buffalo Wild Wings would be a no-brainer. Throw in the locals. Maybe even the National Chicken Wing Festival.

You artistically celebrate a little piece of Buffalo history at the same time you're selling an ad. The catch is that, in my mind, you get a standard bold font under the chicken wing with your name, not your own logo, which would really clutter up the patch.

Is this idea mild, medium, hot or so stupid it's suicidal?

I could live with that to be honest.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, steveoath said:

Or how about a different local charity each month gets the ad spot, and when jerseys are auctioned off they get the proceeds?

This is a great idea, except that the owners are trying for a little cash grab for the ad.  We have to find a way for a sponsor to pay for the ad and have it set up as a 'brought to you by' kind of thing.  Then each month a local charity will be selected to receive the proceeds of the sweater auction.  This could work well and be a win / win.  The billionaire owners would get a few shekels and the charity would get a nice pay day too.

58 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is a great idea, except that the owners are trying for a little cash grab for the ad.  We have to find a way for a sponsor to pay for the ad and have it set up as a 'brought to you by' kind of thing.  Then each month a local charity will be selected to receive the proceeds of the sweater auction.  This could work well and be a win / win.  The billionaire owners would get a few shekels and the charity would get a nice pay day too.

Yup. Considering the Pegulas have officially and publicly threatened to move the Bills over money we know they’re not going to give this cash up.

4 hours ago, Srw1525 said:

What would be the Jersey AD For the Sabres? 🤷‍♂️

New Era (unless they have soured on the Pegulas?), Sahleens? Rich products? Whatever is the current sponsor of the arena?

A better sponsor might be a dumpster or waste removal company, maybe a septic/port-o-potty company?

Could be fun coming up with sponsors for other teams too. Right now the Coyotes could have real estate agents/companies advertise on their jerseys. 

On 8/20/2021 at 8:55 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

Evander Kane approves. 

Too soon?

I kinda thought the same thing, but I figured that Pete Rose would be the poster boy for that. For someone who should have been in Cooperstown a long time ago had he not f***ed up like he did, this is a part of his legacy that he will never live down even after they put the final nail in his coffin. Just ask Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I'd rather not have ads on the Jersey, but it won't be too big of a deal to me at first.

An ad or two....where it doesn't dominate the Jersey and I won't think much of it.

When they start pasting ads all over the Jersey, every available space they can, then I really won't like it. I don't see that being a problem for another 2-3 years though.

11 hours ago, FogBat said:

I kinda thought the same thing, but I figured that Pete Rose would be the poster boy for that. For someone who should have been in Cooperstown a long time ago had he not f***ed up like he did, this is a part of his legacy that he will never live down even after they put the final nail in his coffin. Just ask Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I’m still of the opinion that Cooperstown is meant for your accomplishments on the field, not who you were off of it. 

Im sure there are players from 1880-1970 who weren’t good people off the diamond, that are in Cooperstown. 

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.