NHL Owners approve Ads on Jerseys Starting for the 2022-23 Season

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to NHL Owners approve Ads on Jerseys Starting for the 2022-23 Season
1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Absolute garbage from the NHL. They should be ashamed. 

The only reason soccer does it is because they don't have commercial breaks for advertisements. NHL and NBA can ***** right off

I was watching golf the other week and they legitimately had adds on 65% of the screen DURING THE MATCH. You guys don't make enough millions and billions of dollars? God ***** 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The only reason soccer does it is because they don't have commercial breaks for advertisements. NHL and NBA can ***** right off

I was watching golf the other week and they legitimately had adds on 65% of the screen DURING THE MATCH. You guys don't make enough millions and billions of dollars? God ***** 

You must mean MLS, eh?  

The major leagues in Europe do not need these ad revenue.

The Emire that owns Man C does not need to get some $ because he has Etihad Airways on the front of the jersey.  He owns the damn airline too.  Fun fact ... Etihad technically opperates out of Halifax (in conjunction with Air Canada).  So, I can fly to UAE (not that I would ever want to) on Etihad Airways.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, WildCard said:

***** knew it. Can't wait to watch the Buffalo McDonalds/Chevrolet/United Arab Emirates

God ***** I hate advertisements 

I actually have no problem with this.  It sets up a new revenue stream for the league.  Remember when the boards were pristine white?  Now they have ads on them.  Does it matter?  It doesn't to me.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I actually have no problem with this.  It sets up a new revenue stream for the league.  Remember when the boards were pristine white?  Now they have ads on them.  Does it matter?  It doesn't to me.

I don't buy boards though to wear. I absolutely hate the on-ice ones, and the board ones, but the jerseys? That's just so much greed. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

It’s a tiny little patch, not much bigger than the adidas logo. I don’t even notice the NBA ones anymore.

For now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It matters to me because I hate sponsors that don't match the team colors on the helmets already. Jerseys are meant to be what represents the team and the city it belongs to. The more ads that clutter the beautiful jerseys, the more muddled the image and impact the jerseys make until eventually the team ceases to be the Sabres but rather a sponsor. Likewise the team loses its hometown feel and ends up far less attached to the city but to their sponsors. Who wants the McDonald's Roswell Parks NHL team hosted in Buffalo, NY? I sure is hell don't. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

It matters to me because I hate sponsors that don't match the team colors on the helmets already. Jerseys are meant to be what represents the team and the city it belongs to. The more ads that clutter the beautiful jerseys, the more muddled the image and impact the jerseys make until eventually the team ceases to be the Sabres but rather a sponsor. Likewise the team loses its hometown feel and ends up far less attached to the city but to their sponsors. Who wants the McDonald's Roswell Parks NHL team hosted in Buffalo, NY? I sure is hell don't. 

Slippery Slope Fallacy

Euro soccer fans are rabid.  I don't think the ads have hurt that.

The adds will be annoying if we continually suck and completely irrelevant if we are winning. The goat heads look great because to me they are synonymous with winning. Whatever patch is on the jersey when we are winning will be a good looking patch, to me. 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Slippery Slope Fallacy

Euro soccer fans are rabid.  I don't think the ads have hurt that.

For starters, it isn't always a fallacy....

Euro teams and their fans have differing general approaches to sport fandom and their franchise set up. There's also the fact many Euro soccer teams have little to nothing in regards of logos or traditional depictions of their logos on their jerseys. If a soccer team places their logo above the heart on a 6" x 6" square from the start; the free space becomes more akin to the boards which were clear and now covered.

Hockey logos are large and predominately featured on the jerseys and always have been. Anything that effects that in anyway such as distracting color clashing ads are a detriment. 

Euro hockey have so many ads due to their lack of alternative means of revenue to keep themselves solvent. The NHL isn't in any type of money crunch; while lagging behind the other 3 major sports it would still put any other hockey league to shame in its value. It has billionaire owners paying millionaire players; they have no need to sully the jersey to make a little more money. Especially since we gain nothing from it. Where the whole slippery slope idea does have value is in these sorts of situations. If the NHL says would you rather have a small jersey sponsor or 1 15sec ad more during an icing; you can gather a sense of tradeoffs. However we don't gain anything through jersey ads. Ticket prices won't be lowered, teams won't magically get better (the revenue is far to small to make enough of an impact on the salary cap) and we only get hurt by it. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm with you.  Just imagining...

This opening face off is brought to you by Lancome make-up.

That offside is brought to you by Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe Law, LLC.

The NHL is brought to you by Delta Airlines -- the official airline of Hockey in the United States.

This icing call was brought to you by Jenny's Ice Cream.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yup. It’s baffling to me that anyone is mad about this.

I agree. In the grand scheme of things, considering what has happened to this team over the last decade under Pegula ownership, this ad thing on the jerseys is nothing more than a blip on the radar.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

It starts with a patch and only grows from there...

My biggest advertising gripe was introduced this past year on the TV broadcast when the screen would shrink in to be bordered with ads, it was very disorienting and made me feel uncomfortable. 

It wasn't the fact that they were doing it, it was the timing.  They could have easily initiated the "shrinkage" during a stop in play, but nope....they repeatedly did it while play was going on.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

It starts with a patch and only grows from there...

My biggest advertising gripe was introduced this past year on the TV broadcast when the screen would shrink in to be bordered with ads, it was very disorienting and made me feel uncomfortable. 

and annoying to watch

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.