Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

21 hours ago, sabremike said:

Can someone clarify this: I heard the plan is that Levi stays 4 years and is a UFA. If this is true what did we actually acquire of any value?

Where did you hear this?

I would be shocked if this was the plan, even from the Sabres.

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

and no state income tax.  

The relative advantage of this has been well discussed.  It is minimal, if any.

14 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Where did you hear this?

I would be shocked if this was the plan, even from the Sabres.

The relative advantage of this has been well discussed.  It is minimal, if any.

I always though this argument was weird. Isn't the idea of being rich that you can live where you want? You can afford the taxes. When is enough money enough?

You couldn't get me to live in Florida even if there were no taxes at all (local, state, federal, FICA, sales, gun permit fees etc.).

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

You probably haven’t seen Sams comments then about an extension.. 

No I really haven't.  I've only seen his comments about "signing a contract" but nothing about term. He is on the hook as an unsigned RFA for one year. Sure he will sign that contract. I haven't seen comments from him about later years. The FLA fans have taken his comments about signing and stretched them into a multi-year deal.

Edited by Doohickie

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

If they can avoid playing Girgensons at C they should not play him there IMHO.  It's been years since he played it regularly and he's a better W at this point.

Would really like to see them find a reliable C for Z & Okposo because those 2 will be facing a lot of top lines if they don't want to give the kids PTSD after 82.

Put him wherever. 

I guess my overall thought is, without the benefit of knowing who else Adams is going to add (and, really, if anyone of significance will be added at all), and until we see who those players are, we are working with these 11 forwards:

Mittelstadt, Cozens, Eakin, Girgensons, Asplund, Olofsson, Skinner, Ruotsalainen, Thompson, Bjork, Okposo

There isn't a configuration among those 11 that will result in a winning hockey team, in my estimation

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It blows my mind that Reinhart and soon-to-be Eichel are gone and we're sitting here talking about Girgensons at 1C and where Okposo fits. 

The Sabres have the luxury of choosing any strategy they want, and we'll all be here talking it through and breaking it down and looking for ways it might all end up better than it looks. 

I think that's where most of the fire comes from from posters, myself included: you know you aren't giving it up. There's no getting away from it. We here. We're the Sabres through-and-though. 

1 minute ago, 7+6=13 said:

Pagnotta says there's no concern between the Panthers and Samson's agent about getting a long-term deal done. Samson is "absolutely pumped".

Sam would be stupid to not leverage a long term deal in Florida.  State tax matters.  

I haven't read all of this thread, so apologies if this has already been hashed out.  While he's a legit NHL talent, is he really worth term at say 7 or 8M per year for 8 years?  Go back to last offseason where a bridge deal seemed responsible.

• 3 months later...
On 7/24/2021 at 1:43 PM, LGR4GM said:

Well all the good will Adams was building is now gone. Getting a 19 year old prospect and what will be a 20 something first is pretty much trash for a 25goal scoring 60pt winger. Absolute trash and Adams should feel bad.

First, it took 24 pages from the rumor of a trade to actually getting the details. 

Second, I think we all might be wrong on this one. I hope we're wrong. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

First, it took 24 pages from the rumor of a trade to actually getting the details. 

I think by the end of the season Levi is squarely in the conversation for the Sabres top prospect.  Power, Quinn,, Krebs, Peterka and Levi is a really balanced top 5 prospect group.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We’ve spent a long time saying that a committee of Sabrespacers with access to the Internet could draft better than the Sabres, and not just for effect.

The key to being a good franchise is to not only identify the talent, but to find value in assets that others are missing.

There is no doubt Devon Levi is better than the Internet and/or the industry thought he was.

There’s a pretty good case that same thing can be said for Jack Quinn and JJ Peterka. And we are seeing signs of this for many of our 2021 draft picks.

Will we be saying the same thing in a year about Peyton Krebs and Alex Tuch and our 3 1st rounders next June?

Does the Adams team of Crowe/Karmanos/Forton/Ventura/etcetera actually know how identify good hockey players?

Wouldnt that be something?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

We’ve spent a long time saying that a committee of Sabrespacers with access to the Internet could draft better than the Sabres, and not just for effect.

The key to being a good franchise is to not only identify the talent, but to find value in assets that others are missing.

There is no doubt Devon Levi is better than the Internet and/or the industry thought he was.

There’s a pretty good case that same thing can be said for Jack Quinn and JJ Peterka. And we are seeing signs of this for many of our 2021 draft picks.

Will we be saying the same thing in a year about Peyton Krebs and Alex Tuch and our 3 1st rounders next June?

Does the Adams team of Crowe/Karmanos/Forton/Ventura/etcetera actually know how identify good hockey players?

Wouldnt that be something?

It truly would and I hope they do but I don't think they get all that much credit for all of this. Quinn definitely, Peterka yes, and then any of last year's picks after Power. Power was a consensus #1 pick from just about the entire league. Passing on Power would have been the controversial move. Also Krebs, everybody discussing a Vegas deal wanted Krebs and Tuch is local. They were obvious pieces I would have wanted and likely you would have too and mot people here. Levi is perhaps "identified" but a lot of people were talking about his potential and that was likely the best deal out there so again, no great accomplishment.

To me, that draft team is up for their first real test this year (assuming we do not get Wright, the obvious #1) and we won't know if they got it right for about 3 years after that. 

On a somewhat (but not really) related thought...

I remember when the Sabres drafted Sam, the thought among many people was we got the 'wrong Sam' (Bennet)

That quickly went away with Bennet seemingly a bust...he struggled to even get into double digit goals most of his seasons, and the narrative was he had to carve out a 'niche' to his game to stick in the NHL (the good skating pest with an occasional ability to score)

Well, I just looked at Bennet with Florida (as they now have both Sams) and, while it is a small sample size, he seems to be turning it around. Since he was traded to Florida, he has 10 goals in 18 games....22 points in those 18 games...He is one of their top Penalty Killers...he has as much PP ice time as the other Sam (Reinhart), and they are giving him more overall ice time.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know I know, Sam is gone who cares what he's doing down in FLA... 

BUT as a critic of his I feel a regular update on his performance is warranted 😎

His last 10 games (FLA has scored 37 goals over that time): 

1g, 3a, -2, 15 sog

For the season he's accrued a TRPM of -5... tied for second worst on FLA.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.