Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

44 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Can someone clarify this: I heard the plan is that Levi stays 4 years and is a UFA. If this is true what did we actually acquire of any value?

Where did you hear that?  First of all, the team that holds his rights controls them through his college career plus 30 days.  Second of all, that presumes he actually stays for all four years.  If he's ready for the pros, he'll sign before his NCAA career ends.

If his plan is to play in the NHL he will sign when he's ready to move up which will be likely before his NCAA days are over.

21 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

What I don't get is why this is even tweetworthy.  It's not happening unless and until Drury caves.  Until then there's nothing to talk about.

21 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Was a Button video but it was under the assumption his path was blocked by Knight so that has probably changed (this was clarified to me elsewhere).

Exactly.  If he gets a chance to play in the AHL with a path to the NHL, he'll sign.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Can someone clarify this: I heard the plan is that Levi stays 4 years and is a UFA. If this is true what did we actually acquire of any value?

This was mentioned in a Craig Button interview about him but that's because he was buried in the Florida system behind Spencer Knight and Sergei Bobrovsky.

He will get a chance in Buffalo to play in the NHL so I would think he would take it.  Then again I thought the same about Calvin Petersen who decided to play out his time and then sign with the Kings.  It's a risk for sure but the player gets older to take that risk / reward.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Huh? Where do you get this crap from?

43 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

The rangers are idiots. 

I know.  But my point is I think we're on the verge of several players blossoming into legit NHLers.  Basically the young core was "middle six" talent toward the end of last season.  I see them taking the next step together into "top six" territory.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I have been in Buffalo for the past week. Saw some of my Sabres connections over the weekend.  

Clearly, those three you listed above are tagged as “not part of the solution”.   Of the bunch, Sam Reinhart is considered a “good soldier”.  Botterill did not extend him which was a mistake.   After that,  more crazy coaching and GM/FO changes, and he wants out.  Don’t think for a minute that his highly respected father was not guiding him to keep his mouth shut, to play hard, and then go somewhere better.   Which is exactly what he did.  

This team will take another 3-4 years.  No fast rebuilds, ala Murray the Fool, this time around.  

Agree on all the Reinhart stuff for sure. 

Don't like the term "fast rebuild". The veterans Murray sought to acquire may have been incorrectly identified, or acquired at the wrong time, but IMO he was addressing a component that needs to be there in any rebuild with a fighting chance - the capable vet insulation of the youth. I don't think those pieces make it "fast", I think they are necessary. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree on all the Reinhart stuff for sure. 

Don't like the term "fast rebuild". The veterans Murray sought to acquire may have been incorrectly identified, or acquired at the wrong time, but IMO he was addressing a component that needs to be there in any rebuild with a fighting chance - the capable vet insulation of the youth. I don't think those pieces make it "fast", I think they are necessary. 

Sing it to the heavens!

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Sing it to the heavens!

"We don't just need a tank, we need an even slower one than before!" (paraphrased from my nightmares) is, somehow, something I think someone in the FO has been convinced of. There's a growing sentiment, too, a willingness. 

It could be what they have to do - I dunno. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

"We don't just need a tank, we need an even slower one than before!" (paraphrased from my nightmares) is, somehow, something I think someone in the FO has been convinced of. There's a growing sentiment, too, a willingness. 

It could be what they have to do - I dunno. 

Yeah.  It seems someone broke out the flyer they sent out to STHers in '14 or '15 (pretty sure it was summer '14, but it might have been the following year) listing the 120 or so draft picks (yeah, yeah, it just seemed like that many) the Sabres had coming the next 3 years & how the future was so bright back then and showed it to Terry & Kim and said 'imagine what might have been if you didn't trade away all those picks for guys that eventually got moved for pennies on the $.'

And the Pegulas said 'sounds good; what could possibly go wrong.'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Many thought it seemed fairly prudent at the time to give him bridge deals.  Really, this season was just a perfect storm of awfulness with Krueger's ineptness as a coach, Eichel's injury, and the Sabres goalies injuries.  If Jack isn't hurt and Ullmark stays healthy, and somehow Krueger didn't totally bone the coaching duties, we probably see this year as a slight step forward and all the UFAs we want to sign are onboard.

39 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It is appalling we lost Sam because management is that inept.  I have no clue how he did not get a long term extension.  Terrible organization.  

Because you have the benefit of hindsight.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

People were quite vocal when we kept signing him to 3 bridge deals. They can have this one.

Yep. I didn't have a horse in the race on the bridge vs. long term debate, but this forum skewed heavily against the bridge deals. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It is appalling we lost Sam because management is that inept.  I have no clue how he did not get a long term extension.  Terrible organization.  

What's appalling is, Florida traded a nice goalie prospect and their 1st round pick for a player that isn't going to sign there.

From that, you and others will understand why we couldn't get more.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.