Chicago Blackhawks Sexual Assault Allegations

WildCard

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is exhausting dude. There’s nothing wrong with TSN’s wording. There are pictures and videos of Beach playing for the Blackhawks. What do you call that?

I'm not the one keeping it going...and Taro has answered the question.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Indeed. A hockey player. Playing hockey. For the Chicago Blackhawks. This isn’t inaccurate reporting.

So Tebow was a New York Met after all.  And even if you count Beach, who is the second?  Is there one?

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Indeed. A hockey player. Playing hockey. For the Chicago Blackhawks. This isn’t inaccurate reporting.

You really going to die on this hill?  NOBODY considers training camp fodder to be actual NHLers.  Well, their mommies likely do, but darn near nobody else does.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Not that I want to continue this sidetrack forever, but was Tim Tebow a New York Met?

It's just such an odd thing to perseverate about, given what's actually at issue.

Did TSN embellish their characterization of this player's status a smidge in order to drive attention? Seems that way.

Does the exercise of that journalistic license warrant attention in connection with a matter as awful and sad as this? Hard no, from me.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

You really going to die on this hill?

This turns what's going on here on its ear. 

Persisting with semantics in connection with this matter is the weird hill to die on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

One thing I want to add - and I don't know if it's been addressed upthread: The fact that this happened with the Blackhawks organization is, I think, largely arbitrary. I venture that this could have, and most likely would have, happened with any other NHL franchise in a similar situation. The temptation in these morality plays is to tut-tut and shake our heads and "for shame, for shame" the Blackhawks. The reality is much, much more complicated, and messy. It's important to reflect on the fact that no one helped this young man. No one. Not the team, not the league, not his own union. The problems and the failings that led to this tragedy are not peculiar to a particular franchise -- they are endemic to our species. Hopefully, less and less endemic as we march on and the arc of the moral universe bends ever towards justice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Did TSN embellish their characterization of this player's status a smidge in order to drive attention? Seems that way.

And cloned him, apparently.

Book you might enjoy (I am not suggesting this with snark; I think you'd enjoy it):  https://www.amazon.com/Lifespan-Fact-John-DAgata/dp/0393340732

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

One thing I want to add - and I don't know if it's been addressed upthread: The fact that this happened with the Blackhawks organization is, I think, largely arbitrary. I venture that this could have, and most likely would have, happened with any other NHL franchise in a similar situation. The temptation in these morality plays is to tut-tut and shake our heads and "for shame, for shame" the Blackhawks. The reality is much, much more complicated, and messy. It's important to reflect on the fact that no one helped this young man. No one. Not the team, not the league, not his own union. The problems and the failings that led to this tragedy are not peculiar to a particular franchise -- they are endemic to our species. Hopefully, less and less endemic as we march on and the arc of the moral universe bends ever towards justice.

Well stated.  This could have been the Sabres or the Celtics, or even Tebow's* Mets.   The problem is way larger than the Chicago Blackhawks.

*That was snarky.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Whether Beach ever played a second in the NHL with the Blackhawks or not, EVERYONE who mattered in that ENTIRE organization new what happened. I’m not sure why playing with the big club or not has any relevance at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Whether Beach ever played a second in the NHL with the Blackhawks or not, EVERYONE who mattered in that ENTIRE organization new what happened. I’m not sure why playing with the big club or not has any relevance at all. 

It doesn't.  It just goes back to the TSN story *and that's all*.  First post, this thread.  He could have been the mailroom sorter; it's the same crime and the same coverup.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It doesn't.  It just goes back to the TSN story *and that's all*.  First post, this thread.  He could have been the mailroom sorter; it's the same crime and the same coverup.

I appreciate the clarification. I haven’t read all the posts, so if I missed an earlier explanation, that’s on me. 

Are you questioning TSN’s journalistic acumen with the story? Is that the gist of what I missed?

• Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I appreciate the clarification. I haven’t read all the posts, so if I missed an earlier explanation, that’s on me. 

Are you questioning TSN’s journalistic acumen with the story? Is that the gist of what I missed?

Something's messy.  "Two former Chicago Blackhawks players" appears not to be accurate in two respects (Beach never played for Chicago and he is only one person), and I am questioning whether (1) TSN was inaccurate or (2) there's still something we don't know.  TSN's reputation always has been pretty good, as far as I know.

It has nothing to do with the bona fides of Beach as a victim, and I think some people are misunderstanding me that way.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Not entirely unexpected.

10 minutes ago, The Ghost of NS said:

not really. 

Tortorella back in America's Wang with a 7-0 team? And Q coached last night, too.

Edited by Eleven

This could be a case study on how not to handle sexual assault allegations. These guys all deserve the hammer coming down on them and their legacy’s really. They really dropped the ball. The league, the players association , the team mates, the coaches, gms, etc all bozos. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I would go a little further and say not only would this likely happen in other organizations, but I'd bet it HAS happened in other organizations.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.