Chicago Blackhawks Sexual Assault Allegations

WildCard

Was thinking about posting this yesterday but glad you did. 

This story is awful once you start to understand how well known about it was and how NO ONE seemed to do anything. 

“Brad would routinely befriend young interns and invite them to his apartment in Chicago to watch March Madness basketball and other sports,” the marketing official said. “I was told to steer clear of him because he had tried something at his apartment on a few players. This was not something that only a few people knew about. The entire training staff, a lot of people knew...This was an open secret.”

https://www.tsn.ca/alleged-assaults-of-chicago-blackhawks-players-an-open-secret-source-1.1659115

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Was thinking about posting this yesterday but glad you did. 

This story is awful once you start to understand how well known about it was and how NO ONE seemed to do anything. 

https://www.tsn.ca/alleged-assaults-of-chicago-blackhawks-players-an-open-secret-source-1.1659115

I have seen a lot of this over the years, in particular with actors.  More infamously, depending on duration and severity, this could be Penn State all over again.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Man, this could turn into huge sanctions for the Hawks.  Is it possible for an owner to lose their team?

We've seen it in the NBA.

It is very strange indeed; normally the victims are on the other side of the power imbalance.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

My god, what the hell. These are not shy guys, they show courage on the ice all the time. Strange they stayed silent. I’d like to think I’d speak up, but who knows what pressures the players felt to stay silent. 

According to the story @LGR4GM linked, at least one of the players reported it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Somebody needs to be held accountable. I’d hate to be the idiot that wrote his letter of recommendation. He helped get a teenager assaulted. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31725345/chicago-blackhawks-hire-firm-conduct-independent-review-sexual-assault-allegations%3fplatform=amp

According to this story the guy went on to assault a high schooler 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And according to the link LGR posted the player reported it as "abuse." More info. is needed. Does it end up being on one far end of the assault spectrum?

34 minutes ago, Eleven said:

We've seen it in the NBA.

It is very strange indeed; normally the victims are on the other side of the power imbalance.

Right. NHL player vs. video coach. The story's not fully told, I suspect.

I think that the balance of power wasn't so much physical as it was, "This video coach is really important to the team. We're on a

Stanley Cup run.  We can't upset the apple cart."   Hierarchical.

The complaints should have been handled better by Chicago.

But, why don't these news reports ever give details?  A defendant has a right to face his accuser and a right to know what the charges are.

Like someone intimated above, I'm surprised that the hockey players just didn't deck the guy if he was trying to force himself on them.

Or was it more like a date rape kind of thing or even just a "pass" that went awry?  If a football player can come out as gay, we'd be

kidding ourselves to think that there are no gay hockey players.

Now the Michigan conviction seems to carry some weight and indicate a pattern of behaviour.   But the Michigan case was different in

that the he was the coach in a position of physical and hierarchical power over someone who is legally presumed to be a minor (what

is the age of consent in MI?).    Law enforcement is all over anything that smacks of minors. 

Maybe there is a presumption that adult hockey players can take care of themselves.   But what stopped the players from coming forward?

Really.   A certain Bill has enough conviction to risk ending his career over a personal medical choice.  Why can't adult hockey players go to

the police themselves if they really feel that wronged?  That's my problem with this situation.  Don't accuse someone years later while allowing

bad apples to continue their abuse while you make up your mind that maybe you should report it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

My god, what the hell. These are not shy guys, they show courage on the ice all the time. Strange they stayed silent. I’d like to think I’d speak up, but who knows what pressures the players felt to stay silent. 

No, but they very likely were smaller, younger guys that were just barely hanging onto the NHL dream.

No idea who it was, but they had a former #7 OA pick 5-ish years removed from his draft getting into only 6 games that year and another small-ish guy still mid-20's only get into 3 games.  These are the sorts that PREDATORS look for. Again, no idea who the video coach was targeting, should the accusations turn out to have been credible, but those are in the profile of who he'd be likely targeting.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

I think that the balance of power wasn't so much physical as it was, "This video coach is really important to the team. We're on a

Stanley Cup run.  We can't upset the apple cart."   Hierarchical.

The complaints should have been handled better by Chicago.

But, why don't these news reports ever give details?  A defendant has a right to face his accuser and a right to know what the charges are.

Like someone intimated above, I'm surprised that the hockey players just didn't deck the guy if he was trying to force himself on them.

Or was it more like a date rape kind of thing or even just a "pass" that went awry?  If a football player can come out as gay, we'd be

kidding ourselves to think that there are no gay hockey players.

Now the Michigan conviction seems to carry some weight and indicate a pattern of behaviour.   But the Michigan case was different in

that the he was the coach in a position of physical and hierarchical power over someone who is legally presumed to be a minor (what

is the age of consent in MI?).    Law enforcement is all over anything that smacks of minors. 

Maybe there is a presumption that adult hockey players can take care of themselves.   But what stopped the players from coming forward?

Really.   A certain Bill has enough conviction to risk ending his career over a personal medical choice.  Why can't adult hockey players go to

the police themselves if they really feel that wronged?  That's my problem with this situation.  Don't accuse someone years later while allowing

bad apples to continue their abuse while you make up your mind that maybe you should report it.

Yea imagine being sexually assaulted, trying to do something about it then, and then being ignored. Why wouldn't you be afraid to come forward especially as a young early 20 something adult accusing a person in a massive and powerful organization of sexual assault. 

You only ever show up when politics or this stuff come up and I always find your takes to be, pretty questionable. I didn't even cover the "pass gone awry" or the implication that a coach isn't in a position of power with someone once they are an adult. 

What does being a gay hockey player have to do with any of this? 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

[quote]

...allege the Blackhawks covered up sexual assault allegations from 2010 against then-video coach Brad Aldrich. In 2013 — after he’d left the Blackhawks — Aldrich was convicted of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct involving a high school student. He was sentenced to nine months in prison and five years of probation; he’s now a registered sex offender.

Vincent said Bowman was one of four people he reported the allegations to, along with McDonough, Senior Vice-President Al MacIsaac and mental skills coach James Gary. We are at a time in the hockey calendar when general managers are extremely visible. There’s the expansion draft, entry draft, trades and free agency. You’re in front of the camera an awful lot.

[/quote]

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-blackhawks-must-publicly-address-sexual-assault-allegations/

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

We're not the defendant and a lawsuit isn't a criminal case.

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

Don't accuse someone years later

Again, it appears from the article that the player informed the team *at the time*.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

No, but they very likely were smaller, younger guys that were just barely hanging onto the NHL dream.

No idea who it was, but they had a former #7 OA pick 5-ish years removed from his draft getting into only 6 games that year and another small-ish guy still mid-20's only get into 3 games.  These are the sorts that PREDATORS look for. Again, no idea who the video coach was targeting, should the accusations turn out to have been credible, but those are in the profile of who he'd be likely targeting.

Yup, the people with fewer friends and influence get targeted mostly. But there are other incidents where like the Ohio State guy who jacked off in a public shower all the time and no one did anything about it. And that (I think) Olympic gymnast trainer. He would insert his finger in the girls acting like he was doing a medical thing and the parents were right there watching! Some people just do whatever they can get away with. So we don’t know if this guy was doing something that could be some what plausibly be denied, at least to those who did not want to deal with it. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea imagine being sexually assaulted, trying to do something about it then, and then being ignored. Why wouldn't you be afraid to come forward especially as a young early 20 something adult accusing a person in a massive and powerful organization of sexual assault. 

You only ever show up when politics or this stuff come up and I always find your takes to be, pretty questionable. I didn't even cover the "pass gone awry" or the implication that a coach isn't in a position of power with someone once they are an adult. 

What does being a gay hockey player have to do with any of this? 

I was assaulted.  I went straight to the police.  And the police did NOTHING.   But at least I tried to go the proper route.  I'm actually somewhat sympathetic to the whole defund the police movement; I don't agree, but I understand the motivation.

If someone hits my car, I call the police.  If some kids shoot BBs at my dog, I'm calling the cops.   The Bible actually says that if a woman is being raped and doesn't cry out for help, then she is not be held guiltless.  There's even a story in the Bible of two priests attempting to rape a woman, and she place her faith in God and cried out for help.  The priests tried to frame her for another adultery, but she was proven true.  And the priests were stoned to death for attempted rape and perjury.

I do talk hockey.  

1. Draft Power #1

2. Trade Eichel for Ana #1(draft Johnson), Comtois, and another high pick.  Eichel's damaged goods.  Neck injuries can be brutal.

3. Trade Reinhart to Seattle for #1 pick (draft Beniers), and agreeing to take Okposo.

Don't take back more established players who will get taken by Seattle in Expansion Draft.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  But this time we have three guys who are big players on a college team who play well together and in 1-2 years can step in and make a difference.

Edited by etiennep99
1 year for Power and Beniers, 2 years more likely for Johnson to arrive

13 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

I was assaulted.  I went straight to the police.  And the police did NOTHING.   But at least I tried to go the proper route.  I'm actually somewhat sympathetic to the whole defund the police movement; I don't agree, but I understand the motivation.

If someone hits my car, I call the police.  If some kids shoot BBs at my dog, I'm calling the cops.   The Bible actually says that if a woman is being raped and doesn't cry out for help, then she is not be held guiltless.  There's even a story in the Bible of two priests attempting to rape a woman, and she place her faith in God and cried out for help.  The priests tried to frame her for another adultery, but she was proven true.  And the priests were stoned to death for attempted rape and perjury.

I do talk hockey.  

1. Draft Power #1

2. Trade Eichel for Ana #1(draft Johnson), Comtois, and another high pick.  Eichel's damaged goods.  Neck injuries can be brutal.

3. Trade Reinhart to Seattle for #1 pick (draft Beniers), and agreeing to take Okposo.

Don't take back more established players who will get taken by Seattle in Expansion Draft.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  But this time we have three guys who are big players on a college team who play well together and in 1-2 years can step in and make a difference.

Is there a HOF of awful takes for this board.  These last 2 posts of yours are 1st ballot for sure. 

Edited by COSabreFan
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

We're not the defendant and a lawsuit isn't a criminal case.

Again, it appears from the article that the player informed the team *at the time*.

Then why are we even discussing what is at least three degrees of separation hearsay?   Players told a coach who told TSN which wrote an article.

We can all agree that sexual assault is wrong.  But we're not even sure of the details.  We shouldn't be assuming the guy is guilty until a jury says so.

And I know that predators target the weak, but these were not little children.  We need to stop infantilizing adults.   The same even holds true for teens.  In

Jewish tradition, at 13 a person should know right from wrong.  If you're 23 and value your AHL career more than reporting an assault to the police, then

something is wrong.

Just now, COSabreFan said:

Is there a HOF of awful takes for this board.  These last 2 posts are 1st ballot for sure. 

Quoting the Bible is nothing that I will ever be ashamed of.  Quite the opposite.   You have your ways, but they are not God's ways.

Let me get this straight.  You all are complaining about a guy who is assaulting hockey players.  You defend the guys for not coming forward because they were afraid of the organization.  I tell you that I've been a victim of assault, and what do y'all do?  You attack me.  Acting just like you said that the Big Organization would do to the hockey players.   So what are y'all doing here? Rubbernecking?  You don't want solutions. And you're currently acting exactly like you say is doing bad.  Ever seen a mirror before?

Edited by etiennep99

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.