Chicago Blackhawks Sexual Assault Allegations

WildCard

TBH, I feel this has gotten out of hand. I’m all for bringing justice for the victim and punishment to the accused but there needs to be a line drawn. If any players knew in June of 2010, do you honestly think any of them would want to torpedo their own hard work and effort by bringing the Chicago police down on them before Game 1 of the Finals? Hell, at the time, John Doe himself may not of wanted it reported until after the Cup run was finished. The peer pressure to ignore what happened at least for a bit would of been huge as John Doe would of also wanted to win the Cup and not ruin it for his teammates. 

Don’t get me wrong, the Blackhawks botched this whole thing to hell and back and those in power need to be held responsible but I’m sick of this witch hunt on the players. Why are we as a society determined to destroy bystanders? Just because they wanted to stay ignorant or chose to hope another player might have the confidence to speak up isn’t just as criminal as the bastard who did the assault in the first place. Lastly we shouldn’t hold players in 2010 to 2021 standards.

Rant over, just tired of Twitter endlessly wanting their Cup stripped and/or players suspended for omission.

This is the original tweet that started it all.  Kyle Beach is not a former Blackhawks player, much less two of them:

· Jun 23

The alleged sexual assault of two former Chicago Blackhawks players was “an open secret” among staff both within and outside the team’s hockey department, a former team marketing official said in an interview with TSN.

Here's the article with the same language:

https://www.tsn.ca/alleged-assaults-of-chicago-blackhawks-players-an-open-secret-source-1.1659115

Edited by Eleven

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is the original tweet that started it all.  Kyle Beach is not a former Blackhawks player, much less two of them:

· Jun 23

The alleged sexual assault of two former Chicago Blackhawks players was “an open secret” among staff both within and outside the team’s hockey department, a former team marketing official said in an interview with TSN.

Here's the article with the same language:

https://www.tsn.ca/alleged-assaults-of-chicago-blackhawks-players-an-open-secret-source-1.1659115

1st round pick of Chicago.  I'm sure he had a contract with Chicago.  Was called up by Chicago but never stepped on the ice during the regular season.  He was a Blackhawk contractually if nothing else.

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Kyle Beach?  He never played for the Blackhawks.  Maybe I am misunderstanding a few things here.

Beach would've been called up after the AHL team was done in the playoffs.  If this stuff was happening late in the playoff run, he'd've been practicing with the Hawks.

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

1st round pick of Chicago.  I'm sure he had a contract with Chicago.  Was called up by Chicago but never stepped on the ice during the regular season.  He was a Blackhawk contractually if nothing else.

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He played parts of six seasons with Chicago’s AHL Team Rockford. From His Post Draft Year until 2014-15. 

Yes and he was considered an attitude problem and a bust.  He was compared to Ryan Leaf.  Now, it is VERY, VERY possible that those were false attributions to cover up the situation, or that those attributes were his reactions to what was happening to him.  But it remains that he was not a Blackhawks player, not ever, and that, to me, calls into question an awful lot about that TSN article that started this thread.  

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Beach would've been called up after the AHL team was done in the playoffs.  If this stuff was happening late in the playoff run, he'd've been practicing with the Hawks.

This is what I'm trying to look up right now.  A couple of articles that I've already seen state that Bowman was not a Beach fan (Beach was Tallon's pick) and maybe he wasn't called up.

Edited by Eleven

Ok.  Chicago recalled Beach on April 28, 2010:  https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/transactions/_/name/chi/season/2010

For those wondering why this matters:

1.  A lot of people are dragging Quenneville's name through the mud.  He may not have known as much as people think.

2.  I don't like inaccurate reporting, and referring to Beach as one of "two former Chicago Blackhawks players" sticks in my craw.  He never was a Blackhawks player, and TSN would have done well do refer to him initially as a "player formerly in the Blackhawks system."  And are there still two?  The victim at UM doesn't count--his situation was separate.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yes and he was considered an attitude problem and a bust.  He was compared to Ryan Leaf.  Now, it is VERY, VERY possible that those were false attributions to cover up the situation, or that those attributes were his reactions to what was happening to him.  But it remains that he was not a Blackhawks player, not ever, and that, to me, calls into question an awful lot about that TSN article that started this thread.  

This is what I'm trying to look up right now.

I do recall hearing/reading that this incident(s) involved black aces, player(s) who are called up to NHL playoff teams after their junior/AHL seasons are finished in order to practice with the NHL team.

Honestly, it’s a good target for an abuser.  Young player just trying to impress, not established, wouldn’t want to rock the boat and come off as a troublemaker.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

I do recall hearing/reading that this incident(s) involved black aces, player(s) who are called up to NHL playoff teams after their junior/AHL seasons are finished in order to practice with the NHL team.

Honestly, it’s a good target for an abuser.  Young player just trying to impress, not established, wouldn’t want to rock the boat and come off as a troublemaker.

1.  Thank you--that is good clarification--do you remember where you heard it?

2.  He was an 11th overall pick in 2008.  He was not the "bubble" player that some of us--self included--thought he might have been back when we didn't know his name.  None of that shifts any blame to him, of course.  

This whole situation is just so *****.

If this were the Sabres I would burn my jerseys and never spend a dime on the franchise again. The Blackhawks ruined his career and are gutless cowards. Everyone involved was a gutless pos coward. 

They should all lose their jobs and be banned from the NHL in it's entirety. Gutless cowards. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ok.  Chicago recalled Beach on April 28, 2010:  https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/transactions/_/name/chi/season/2010

For those wondering why this matters:

1.  A lot of people are dragging Quenneville's name through the mud.  He may not have known as much as people think.

2.  I don't like inaccurate reporting, and referring to Beach as one of "two former Chicago Blackhawks players" sticks in my craw.  He never was a Blackhawks player, and TSN would have done well do refer to him initially as a "player formerly in the Blackhawks system."  And are there still two?  The victim at UM doesn't count--his situation was separate.

Quennville and Chevy were in the meetings when it was discussed and he said he didn’t want to focus on it at the time because it is hard to win the Cup and this would take focus away from it. Those are reports from others in the room during those meetings. Brent Sopel and Nick Boynton said every player in the room knew what happened. Everybody knew.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If this were the Sabres I would burn my jerseys and never spend a dime on the franchise again. The Blackhawks ruined his career and are gutless cowards. Everyone involved was a gutless pos coward. 

They should all lose their jobs and be banned from the NHL in it's entirety. Gutless cowards. 

Totally agree. And the Pens and Guerin in Minny are going to go through this too with the cowardice they showed over Jarrod Skalde’s wife being sexually assaulted by Clark Donatelli.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if Chicago's management didn't believe Beach at first due to his apparently bad relationship with Bowman's front office.(Makes sense that a criminal like Aldrich would target him in that case) They did a secret investigation behind the scenes and upon finding out decided to attempt and sweep it under the rug by forcing Aldrich out. Obviously not the right approach but I could certainly understand an initial disbelief; especially in 2010.  

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

2.  …  He never was a Blackhawks player, and TSN would have done well do refer to him initially as a "player formerly in the Blackhawks system." 

Did you see the part of the report where Quenneville was in a meeting regarding the abuse and angrily directed that the matter await the end of the SCF so as not to affect team chemistry?

Also, it’s form over substance to get exercised about the media calling this guy a Blackhawk player. The use of “Blackhawk player” is arguably stretching the truth a bit — presumably in order to attract eyeballs and clicks — but it’s not stretching the truth to the point of snapping it or breaking it. 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

1.  Thank you--that is good clarification--do you remember where you heard it?

2.  He was an 11th overall pick in 2008.  He was not the "bubble" player that some of us--self included--thought he might have been back when we didn't know his name.  None of that shifts any blame to him, of course.  

This whole situation is just so *****.

1. I want to say it may have been an Elliot Friedman podcast, but I can’t be certain.

2. 11th overall pick or not, the fact that he never did play for the Blackhawks would say that he very much was a bubble player who should have been trying to make a good impression.  Either way, doesn’t change what happened, as you said.  I was just theorizing why he could have been targeted.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.