Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Okay but who is this guy?  Just some random tweeter?

Anthony Sciandra (sp?) founding member of website and podcast Expected Buffalo, contributor to DieByTheBlade site.

But like someone else said, does it matter who he is?  The tweet was just who he personally prefers as coach out of the names that are out there.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Have you had his pannies?

Yeah, moving the goalposts to accuse Pegula critics of hating them personally is extremely reasonable.

Some posters have rigourously delineated their criticism of the Pegulas to merely hockey operations, of which there is ample evidence. Several have made sweeping derogatory assessments of their character, whether they be associated with the hockey operations or not.  I certainly properly infer a genuine hatred of the Pegulas as people from the latter.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Keeping Ristolainen is a mistake. 

Agreed.  But IMHO, looking for a veteran coach makes his retention more likely.

I continue to shake my head, both at the situation with ownership and the reaction of some here. Is it me? Adams and now Karmanos have been hired to turn things around. Let them do it, unfettered. Making the front office look like an NHL front office again is a no-brainer. Nothing should have to be explained to the Pegulas. It's a waste of resources and worst of all it colors the decision-making process. If Terry's not a big analytics guy, it shouldn't matter. Get him out of the decision making. His thoughts on any Eichel trade should be moot.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Curt said:

@MODO Hockey  @Buffalonill

Its really all in the beard baby.  That’s where the Gronborg mojo is at.

For example, would you trust this guy to lead your hockey team?image.jpeg.5f7ae74624f8ded2323505768fc840fa.jpeg

No!  Obviously not!  He looks out of shape, clueless, directionless, and without answers.  As weak as Hod, blind and easily deceived.

However, what about this man?image.jpeg.1017cc24f1665d2f624e188cde08331a.jpeg

Easy yes!  Hard yes you could say!  Amiright @inkman?

This is strong determined leader with a plan and the ability to execute it.  Clearly he has all the knowledge and power of Odin, but even better because he still has two eyes!

The answer is clear.  The power is in the beard.

Gandalf, Charles Darwin, Jeremiah Johnson, Santa Clause, Karl Marx,  Grizzly Adams; all great men, all great beards.

I rest my case.

He's Mike Myers after a Timmy Ho's bender on a bad hair day w/out the beard?  No wonders that he grew it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Some posters have rigourously delineated their criticism of the Pegulas to merely hockey operations, of which there is ample evidence. Several have made sweeping derogatory assessments of their character, whether they be associated with the hockey operations or not.  I certainly properly infer a genuine hatred of the Pegulas as people from the latter.

Agreed.  But IMHO, looking for a veteran coach makes his retention more likely.

Their character flaws have been revealed in how they've owned the team. Kim delighted in being called The Black Widow. Terry's overconfident in his hockey acumen. Any criticism of their character is still hockey-related. They're not bad people away from hockey, as far as I know, although it's fair to wonder how their flaws show up elsewhere. The difference seems obvious. As for hated, again — perspective and context. Do people hate Marchand? Of course they do.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I continue to shake my head, both at the situation with ownership and the reaction of some here. Is it me? Adams and now Karmanos have been hired to turn things around. Let them do it, unfettered. Making the front office look like an NHL front office again is a no-brainer. Nothing should have to be explained to the Pegulas. It's a waste of resources and worst of all it colors the decision-making process. If Terry's not a big analytics guy, it shouldn't matter. Get him out of the decision making. His thoughts on any Eichel trade should be moot.

Take the best run teams in any sport and I can guarantee you that the front office meets with ownership to share the plan/next steps.  That is how modern sports work. That is part of the deal. Now you can hate if you believe the Pegulas are given too much input but no one has proof of how those meetings are going.  But meeting and saying yeah or nah to the front office’s plan is par for the course.  Just be glad it is not a setup like Toronto where Adams and Karmanos would have to go in front of a Board of Directors, all with different ideas and try to sell their plan.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Their character flaws have been revealed in how they've owned the team. Kim delighted in being called The Black Widow. Terry's overconfident in his hockey acumen. Any criticism of their character is still hockey-related. They're not bad people away from hockey, as far as I know, although it's fair to wonder how their flaws show up elsewhere. The difference seems obvious. As for hated, again — perspective and context. Do people hate Marchand? Of course they do.

As many say "hate" is a harsh word. For me the word is not interchangeable with dislike. For others it may be. I dislike how they have operated the franchise. I don't dislike them because I don't know them personally. For me to say I hate someone because I don't agree with them is a bit extreme.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That's not how Pegula wants his ownership to work, and that's not why he bought the team.

He's what every sports fanbase fears most: the meddling owner.

It is impossible to miss the playoffs in the NHL 10 years in a row without a meddling owner.

If we had made random decisions all along with a dart board, we would have made the playoffs by now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalonill said:

I believe buffalo already has the coached picked.

They are just doing this so it seems like they did a "search" so there isn't any  backlash.

I find it incredibly odd that teams haven't asked about Granato or  Interviewed him .

I think you're correct but I take the view of okay Granato is our guy now show us we're wrong. Thus the search. Backlash? Heck, how could it be any greater than it already is?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Yeah, moving the goalposts to accuse Pegula critics of hating them personally is extremely reasonable.

46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And how does one reconcile these reasonable statements with calling them "rich scumbags who rape the earth?"

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I find it incredibly odd that teams haven't asked about Granato or  Interviewed him .

Well, he was 9-19 as a HC -- so he won less than 1/3 of his games.  That's not the kinda record that has teams knocking on your door.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with the gist of your response. There is nothing wrong with the owners requiring the hockey staff to keep them apprised on not only what is going on but also what their thoughts are on how to proceed. That relationship between staff and ownership happens to some degree with every franchise. Some owners are more involved than others. If the owners want to chime in and give their opinions that's their prerogative. They sign the checks. If the hockey staff can't explain what and why they are doing things to the people who are paying their salaries then they are deficient in an important aspect of their job i.e. communication.  

• Like (+1) 1

I do wonder, if you bring in a Boudreau, if he can talk Granato in to staying on as his top assistant? Granato doesn't seem to have the personality where he would think it would be a slap in the face based off listening to him speak.

My hope would be if they went that route the new coach's first call would be to Granato and try to talk him into staying and adapt what he was doing at the end of the year. 

In the end though I think Granato gets the job so it won't matter.

Just now, Justin C said:

I do wonder, if you bring in a Boudreau, if he can talk Granato in to staying on as his top assistant? Granato doesn't seem to have the personality where he would think it would be a slap in the face based off listening to him speak.

My hope would be if they went that route the new coach's first call would be to Granato and try to talk him into staying and adapt what he was doing at the end of the year. 

In the end though I think Granato gets the job so it won't matter.

Pretty sure Granato literally said he wouldn't come back as an assistant here. Or roughly there about. Anyone confirm?

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Pretty sure Granato literally said he wouldn't come back as an assistant here. Or roughly there about. Anyone confirm?

You are correct. It was either on WGR or with zoom conference call to the local media that he wouldn't stay as an assistant if someone else was hired. He said that his preference is to be a HC at whatever level. He said that is what he desires to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I believe buffalo already has the coached picked.

They are just doing this so it seems like they did a "search" so there isn't any  backlash.

Maybe they have.  Or maybe they don’t find his 9 wins and 19 losses that impressive.

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I thought he said it depends on the situation. Obviously he wouldn’t stay if some inexperienced guy is hired but there are only so many of these jobs.....

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.