Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

After reading this list of 23 candidates reviewed by the athletic, I think Donnie went up a few notches.

https://theathletic.com/2586742/2021/05/13/has-don-granato-done-enough-to-be-the-sabres-head-coach-who-are-the-other-candidates/

When “experience” means names like Gulutzan, Yeo, Martin, Capuano, Quinn, Martin, Stevens, Hartley and Patrick ***** Roy, and fresh faces are Steve Ott and Luke Richardson...

Talk about garage sale shopping.

Donnie "Meatballs" looking better all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Radar said:

As many say "hate" is a harsh word. For me the word is not interchangeable with dislike. For others it may be. I dislike how they have operated the franchise. I don't dislike them because I don't know them personally. For me to say I hate someone because I don't agree with them is a bit extreme.

I can understand not liking the way a sports franchise is being run, especially from a passionate fan.  It can be the same for the way for any corporation not being run the way you'd like it to be.  What I don't understand is how many people say the Pegulas should not be involved in any way in the company that they own.

How many people here, given the chance to own the Buffalo Sabres, would just hire a GM and then forget about the team?  Of course, everyone here is way more competent to run a major league hockey team than your average billionaire.  😇  I submit that an owner not involved in his company is guilty of corporate neglect.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, RangerDave said:

I can understand not liking the way a sports franchise is being run, especially from a passionate fan.  It can be the same for the way for any corporation not being run the way you'd like it to be.  What I don't understand is how many people say the Pegulas should not be involved in any way in the company that they own.

How many people here, given the chance to own the Buffalo Sabres, would just hire a GM and then forget about the team?  Of course, everyone here is way more competent to run a major league hockey team than your average billionaire.  😇  I submit that an owner not involved in his company is guilty of corporate neglect.

Agree.

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

When folks say they want Pegula to not be involved they are basically  saying they want Pegula to recognize his incompetence and leave the team running stuff to competent people.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Weave said:

When folks say they want Pegula to not be involved they are basically  saying they want Pegula to recognize his incompetence and leave the team running stuff to competent people.

It’s fans thinking they know better than the owner.  Don’t pretend people think adding layers and layers of management solves anything. Just like anything, everyone is wasting space until the right person comes along

and we should be happy we aren’t running every guy out though the end of their contracts despite proving to be failures for money reasons.

These reactionary fans weren’t alive for the Rigas and Golisano eras where we knew every season was our magical last chance because we all knew we couldn’t afford the pay raises anyone who shows competence in Buffalo deserves 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RangerDave said:

You're coloring the debate. More strawmen.

Forget about the team? Of course not. He/they, after all, have to evaluate the people they hire to run the team. Not involved? Of course not. But the involvement has to be smart. The truth is, most people here ARE more competent to do this job than Terry is. Being a billionaire doesn't mean anything, as Terry proves on an annual basis. When you love something, as all here love the Sabres, you handle it with care. How Terry has run the team is just about all the proof you need that his selling of himself as a superfan was a fraud from Day One. So, yes, I think most here would be smart enough to hire good people and let them do their jobs.

Once again, I clutch my pearls at the idea that the on-ice product of an NHL franchise is a "corporation" that has to be "run."

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

I can appreciate that.  I can also appreciate an owner wanting to be kept informed of what his competent people are doing, even asking questions.  I honestly don't know what level of involvement the Pegulas have in making hockey decisions.  I am sure there are people on this forum who have more inside knowledge on this than I do.  I am also sure that others are making a lot of assumptions, which is probably normal for a frustrated fan base with pitchforks and torches on the ready.

My personal opinion is that the Pegulas made a good/lucky hire with the Bills (and these hires have made good/lucky draft choices and free agent signings.)  We are all waiting for them to make a good/lucky hire for the Sabres.  That's all it would take to change things for the team.  Is Kevyn Adams the right/lucky hire?  Only time will tell, and we fans are tiring of the wait.

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

It’s fans thinking they know better than the owner.  Don’t pretend people think adding layers and layers of management solves anything. Just like anything, everyone is wasting space until the right person comes along

and we should be happy we aren’t running every guy out though the end of their contracts despite proving to be failures for money reasons.

These reactionary fans weren’t alive for the Rigas and Golisano eras where we knew every season was our magical last chance because we all knew we couldn’t afford the pay raises anyone who shows competence in Buffalo deserves 

The owner hasn't earned the right to be thought of as smarter than the fans. So I guess now we're giving credit to Terry for firing the inexperienced people he hired so he could meddle in their business, ensuring failure — and a pink slip. Great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The owner hasn't earned the right to be thought of as smarter than the fans. So I guess now we're giving credit to Terry for firing the inexperienced people he hired so he could meddle in their business, ensuring failure — and a pink slip. Great.

Bylsma was inexperienced?  Nolan was inexperienced? Guess Jack Adam’s awards go to everybody 

Murray was inexperienced?  Botterill was inexperienced?

Terry meddled with Murray’s trades draft picks and coaching changes?  Only time that happened was with the pink slip because Murray wouldn’t fire Bylsma 

This narrative about the Pegulas is exhausting

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You're coloring the debate. More strawmen.

Forget about the team? Of course not. He/they, after all, have to evaluate the people they hire to run the team. Not involved? Of course not. But the involvement has to be smart. The truth is, most people here ARE more competent to do this job than Terry is. Being a billionaire doesn't mean anything, as Terry proves on an annual basis. When you love something, as all here love the Sabres, you handle it with care. How Terry has run the team is just about all the proof you need that his selling of himself as a superfan was a fraud from Day One. So, yes, I think most here would be smart enough to hire good people and let them do their jobs.

Once again, I clutch my pearls at the idea that the on-ice product of an NHL franchise is a "corporation" that has to be "run."

Sorry, I did not mean to offend you.  I understand that NHL teams and business corporations have differing reasons for being.  Sports are such an emotional investment, which is what makes them so great in my mind.  And I am not talking a financial investment, but investing our time, energy, and emotions.  Most of us would do anything and everything we can to create and sustain a winning team.  I tend to believe the Pegulas are doing what they think is needed to emulate the Bills success, even if hindsight has proven them wrong to date.  Hopefully they learn from the past.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Gallant, imo, should of been the obvious choice. Should of been handed the reigns as soon as RK was removed. We didn’t need a coaching search with a coach of that caliber available. The Rangers will be in the playoffs next year with Gallant. Drury knows what he’s doing. We are always a step behind. 

Totally agree. Gallant has been my preferred choice since he was fired by Vegas. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Totally agree. Gallant has been my preferred choice since he was fired by Vegas. 

Why was he fired by Florida and Vegas though?  Both were surprise firings.  The rumours are that he is very hard to deal with and ignores analytics.  Rumours, not facts, but interesting that he was fired while his teams were both successful on the ice at that time.

22 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Why was he fired by Florida and Vegas though?  Both were surprise firings.  The rumours are that he is very hard to deal with and ignores analytics.  Rumours, not facts, but interesting that he was fired while his teams were both successful on the ice at that time.

Trots got let go after winning the SC.

Owners are stupid.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think that's it with Gallant. He doesn't play nice with owners and/or GMs. Probably not unlike old Ted Nolan that way. Probably why Pegulas would never hire him too. They like yes men. 

He may be to hockey what Billy Martin was in baseball. Like it or not you do need to be able to work with others. I do thi k he's a good coach but that's a fan perspective. If I'm a GM or owner my perspective would be different maybe. Still think all things considered Granato is the guy and I'm okay with that. The KA/Karmanos team is the one that's going to determine where we go in my opinion.

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Bylsma was inexperienced?  Nolan was inexperienced? Guess Jack Adam’s awards go to everybody 

Murray was inexperienced?  Botterill was inexperienced?

Terry meddled with Murray’s trades draft picks and coaching changes?  Only time that happened was with the pink slip because Murray wouldn’t fire Bylsma 

This narrative about the Pegulas is exhausting

First-time NHL GMs are inexperienced. I see you left Adams out. Terry even tried to hire Patty to be his GM. Patty admirably declined, citing his own lack of experience. It's a mystery why he then took on the POHO role.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

First-time NHL GMs are inexperienced. I see you left Adams out. Terry even tried to hire Patty to be his GM. Patty admirably declined, citing his own lack of experience. It's a mystery why he then took on the POHO role.

A POHO for the Sabres really doesn’t need to do too much. Their only job would be to serve as a buffer against the negative impulses of the Pegulas. For example, they would need say stuff like this: “let’s think about this a minute to help me understand, Terry. Maybe we don’t want to fire our entire scouting department?” or “it’s just my humble opinion, but maybe we should interview a few people before naming Kevyn GM?” or “Terry, as always, you’re probably right, but shouldn’t we pay ROR’s bonus to maximize our trade return?”

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

After reading this list of 23 candidates reviewed by the athletic, I think Donnie went up a few notches.

https://theathletic.com/2586742/2021/05/13/has-don-granato-done-enough-to-be-the-sabres-head-coach-who-are-the-other-candidates/

When “experience” means names like Gulutzan, Yeo, Capuano, Quinn, Martin, Stevens, Hartley and Patrick ***** Roy, and fresh faces are Steve Ott and Luke Richardson...

Talk about garage sale shopping.

Mind sharing the list in text?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Radar said:

He may be to hockey what Billy Martin was in baseball. Like it or not you do need to be able to work with others. I do thi k he's a good coach but that's a fan perspective. If I'm a GM or owner my perspective would be different maybe. Still think all things considered Granato is the guy and I'm okay with that. The KA/Karmanos team is the one that's going to determine where we go in my opinion.

I don't see why GMs and coaches actually have to work together. You state a vision of expectation, as in this is the way we want this team to play. This style. Then you draft and trade for players who fit that style and the coach is expected to win games. He doesn't he's fired. No reason the two have to be buddies. 

If Boudreau wants the job and the team passes on him it's a staggering act of malfeasance. A guy with a long track record of success in multiple places who would bring instant credibility to an organization sorely in need of it. You hire him and I'll throw down a marker that both Jack and Sam see this means that the Sabres have decided to become an actual NHL outfit instead of the joke they are now and decide to stay.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't see why GMs and coaches actually have to work together. You state a vision of expectation, as in this is the way we want this team to play. This style. Then you draft and trade for players who fit that style and the coach is expected to win games. He doesn't he's fired. No reason the two have to be buddies. 

Not buddies but I believe the jobs are interconnected. Seen many cases over the years where if not at least having a good working relationship it doesn't work.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It helps it they're pulling in the same direction.  If a coach wants a speed game and the GM agrees but the GM doesn't provide the right players for that system, you're going to have problems.  Better if they're in communications and get along:  GM:  Hey want me to extend Jeff Skinner?  Coach:  No, he's fast, he's tenacious, but he freelances too much.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.