Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, Digger said:

I missed the show today, I'll take a listen.

Good that he's keeping quiet.

It is just interesting because we hear that the price is lowering and we hear these suggested offers that are outlandishly low but then the biggest peddler of offseason trades is like "idk wtf is going on" (he didn't actually say that). 

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is just interesting because we hear that the price is lowering and we hear these suggested offers that are outlandishly low but then the biggest peddler of offseason trades is like "idk wtf is going on" (he didn't actually say that). 

That's actually a fantastic point.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I think what @oglethorp is arguing, which I agree with, is that no one will offer their top prospects for Eichel because they are what the GM wants to add to, not replace.  We need to replace Eichel and therefore need quality back which they may not give unless it largely comprises of 2nd tier prospects and other futures.

Or where they are dealing a position that is deep - secure for some time on the big club but have potential great to elite prospects in the minors.  And this team is in win now mode. 

And a first round draft pick or multiple absolutely should be in any deal.   

That criteria will have to expand the list to EC teams because the WC teams you hear mentioned are not close to a Cup and may not want to part with elite young talent at positions they are thin at because as you said you want to add to your core.  

If the haul is a legit haul I don't care if it's Boston or the Rangers.      

And I can see this deal including multiple players from our roster that may surprise people - Borgen Casey or Tage for example.  Not saying we should or that I would deal those guys I could just see it happening.      

5 hours ago, JimS said:

He's very different. He came in on the business side, observed, and made recommendations to gut it. He then helped do the same to the hockey department. He gained the Pegula's trust, and has assurances he will be given the time to see his vision succeed.

And everything he has done has been an abject failure.  Hanging onto Krueger, gutting the scouting department, signing Hall to a ridiculous deal, not addressing the goaltending situation, terrible FA signings. He even payed Taylor Hall to play for the Bruins in the playoffs.

He's got one year of experience as a GM, and that experience is of managing the Sabres to the bottom of the league.

Sure the Pegulas trust him, but they trusted Botterill and Murray, and they fired both those guys after only 3 years in. 

Adams has two years to right this ship, and he's about to trade the only consistently productive fowards this team has had the last five years for prospects who haven't even managed to be point-a-game players in the AHL.

You think Pegula is going to be patient watching the Sabres bottom-out the next two seasons waiting for Adams' kids make it to the big leagues?  Eichel and Reinhart didn't save Murray.  Dahlin, Mittelstadt, and Cozens didn't save Botteril.

Adams better figure out a way to win soon, because I doubt Terry has found religion when it comes to patience with his GM.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jad1 said:

And everything he has done has been an abject failure.  Hanging onto Krueger, gutting the scouting department, signing Hall to a ridiculous deal, not addressing the goaltending situation, terrible FA signings. He even payed Taylor Hall to play for the Bruins in the playoffs.

He's got one year of experience as a GM, and that experience is of managing the Sabres to the bottom of the league.

Sure the Pegulas trust him, but they trusted Botterill and Murray, and they fired both those guys after only 3 years in. 

Adams has two years to right this ship, and he's about to trade the only consistently productive fowards this team has had the last five years for prospects who haven't even managed to be point-a-game players in the AHL.

You think Pegula is going to be patient watching the Sabres bottom-out the next two seasons waiting for Adams' kids make it to the big leagues?  Eichel and Reinhart didn't save Murray.  Dahlin, Mittelstadt, and Cozens didn't save Botteril.

Adams better figure out a way to win soon, because I doubt Terry has found religion when it comes to patience with his GM.

Your question was "In other words, he's no different than the last two failed GMs who held the job before him?"

I answered your question with basically he wasn't off the street like Murray and Botterill was, he was in the organization already. Being around since basically 2011, don't you think he knows how the Pegulas are? Again, he has assurances or he wouldn't have taken the position.

I didn't like the hire, but the guy is smart. He has been a player, coach, agent, and worked on the business side, he took his time to add to his staff, made changes on the fly when necessary (Nightingale) and is going slow and deliberate. 

54 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Terry's best option if Adams doesn't work out would be to name himself GM.  I can't see many decent options outside the organization signing up for the meddling in personnel, reduced front office, and self-imposed financial limitations the Pegula's offer.

Then again, perhaps KA's best course is to begin a rebuild hoping it'll buy him time.  That's a tall order, as you note, when you're trading away your best 2 forwards and the goalie situation is TBD.  

11 hours ago, WildCard said:

I think the big thing is, people don't want/think it's necessary to trade Jack. Meaning if they are going to trade him, we better get the world for him. Otherwise, simply keep him. It's not that we're overvaluing him, just that it needs to be a lot to feel comfortable moving him.

I don’t know which side did it, but I believe bridges haven’t just been burnt, but rather have been nuked. Why do I think this? Both parties are acting very strangely. Jack is not fussing like a player trying to get traded. No temper tantrums on Twitter, no trade demands. And when he does speak, he acts like he’s been traded already. Like it’s a done deal and he’s care-free  

Our GM…when GMs are trying to get maximal value for a player, they pump them up in the media. They say stuff like “Jack is an extremely important part of our team. We expect him to be professional and be an indispensable part of our run at the Stanley Cup in 2022.” But, no, we get “We only want players who want to be here.”

But, we’re hearing none of the usual verbiage. We are getting the exact opposite.