Jump to content

Pegulas Subleasing 716 To Southern Tier Brewing


Recommended Posts

Quote

The Pegulas have moved on from (716) Food and Sport and handed the keys to Southern Tier Brewing Company, a Pegula Sports and Entertainment source informed The Athletic. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thwomp! said:

Please move on from the Sabres next.

Got that new owner all lined up? Every knows the city has deeeeeep pockets of wealth.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Brawndo changed the title to Pegulas Subleasing 716 To Southern Tier Brewing
4 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Please move on from the Sabres next.

such an attractive franchise too, what with all those expensive contracts coming off the books...  oh wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Was wondering about this place. Their last Facebook post was from July and said they’d be reopening fall of 2020. As far as I know they never reopened

There was no reason to open in the fall.  If they opened without arena events or summer time crowds, the place would die a quick death.  My guess is maybe they open in the summer...at the earliest.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The restaurant business sucks.  You're much better off being the landlord of a restaurant than the operator of a restaurant. That is compounded when you have no idea what you are doing.  You don't dabble in a restaurant.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The restaurant business sucks.  You're much better off being the landlord of a restaurant than the operator of a restaurant. That is compounded when you have no idea what you are doing.  You don't dabble in a restaurant.

Exactly!

33 minutes ago, SDS said:

Got that new owner all lined up? Every knows the city has deeeeeep pockets of wealth.

Not sure of your point. The Sabres haven't had Buffalo-born owners since the Knoxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The restaurant business sucks.  You're much better off being the landlord of a restaurant than the operator of a restaurant. That is compounded when you have no idea what you are doing.  You don't dabble in a restaurant.

Knowing what you are doing....I think that is it.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes of course, but that is the impression I get. We visited 716 twice...one time about a month after it opened, and then about a year and a half later and weren't impressed.

The impression I got was....they hired people to run the restaurant who kinda knew what they were doing....but they chose to NOT go out and get someone great who knows how to open a place that was expected to be as busy as it was.

To me the food wasn't the problem..it was getting there at opening time on a Saturday morning and having the employees not ready to open....seeing dust on the handrails and chairs only a month after it opened.  Having our table handed off between 3 different servers in the hour we were there...stuff like that.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mjd1001 said:

Knowing what you are doing....I think that is it.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes of course, but that is the impression I get. We visited 716 twice...one time about a month after it opened, and then about a year and a half later and weren't impressed.

The impression I got was....they hired people to run the restaurant who kinda knew what they were doing....but they chose to NOT go out and get someone great who knows how to open a place that was expected to be as busy as it was.

To me the food wasn't the problem..it was getting there at opening time on a Saturday morning and having the employees not ready to open....seeing dust on the handrails and chairs only a month after it opened.  Having our table handed off between 3 different servers in the hour we were there...stuff like that.

Sorta sounds like another business they run doesn't it?

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Sorta sounds like another business they run doesn't it?

I haven't been to a Bills game in a while...but are there things they do running the Bills that are....subpar...that has been glossed over the last couple years because the team is better?  Seriously asking.

It almost seems like when they bought the Sabres they were new to owning a professional sports team....but by the time they should have 'figured it out', they kinda lost interest a bit in the Sabres and 716 and Harbor Center because by that time they had their shiny new (and much more expensive) toy in the Bills to play with.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Exactly!

Not sure of your point. The Sabres haven't had Buffalo-born owners since the Knoxes.

That's just word-smithing. Rigas/Golisano/Pegula all have ties. I don't care where they were born.

In engineering we call this High Risk/High Consequence of an averse event occurring. It would be shown as red on any chart shown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Dust on the Handrails: The Pegula Era of Sabres Hockey

By I.P. Freeley

Available at Borders summer 2021

Didn't he also write "Cups on the Urinal Shelf"?

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I haven't been to a Bills game in a while...but are there things they do running the Bills that are....subpar...that has been glossed over the last couple years because the team is better?  Seriously asking.

I haven't been recently enough to comment honestly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Dust on the Handrails: The Pegula Era of Sabres Hockey

By I.P. Freeley

Available at Borders summer 2021

The forward penned by Dusty Gooch naturally 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norcal said:

I wonder if they are having financial issues? I'm betting cash flow is low and they're saving for Bills free agency. 

Of course they are.  

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Please move on from the Sabres next.

This is an interesting story to me.  No reason for them to be selling, at least ideally.  It's a piece of their little chunk of Buffalo.

And people don't want to believe money comes before winning with the Sabres! 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

The food was mediocre and the drinks were overpriced but it was the coolest sports bar I’ve ever been to. I hope they keep it a sports bar

Make a Southern Tier Brewery.  Have food, brew some special things on site. It'll be a good time. People might actually go there when it's not a game night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...