Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

14 hours ago, Kong said:

Just hang out, I'll think of some more. Seriously, is there any argument here? What is your argument, besides insulting me?

Jack's season last year has only been surpassed (barely) for points per game by Marner this season, and he did it playing with a player BETTER (Auston Matthews) player than he is. In the North division. Jack also scores more goals if people care about that. What would Jack do lined up with AM?

Jack plays centre..and also - he was on pace for 105 over 82 last year, better than Marner's pace this year, before his 8 game, injured stretch to end the season where he had 0 points the first 7 games of that stretch, the longest pointless stretch of his career, hampered by injury.

Speaking of, the injury concerns do honestly bridge some of the gap to me, but when healthy Jack is the more impactful, game-altering player. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Based solely on Friday night, Samson Reinhart is the best goal-scorer in NHL history.

That’s actually way better.

The fan I’m referring to, would just say Rinehart is the best player on the team. Or, UPL has a loooong way to go before being NHL ready. 

Dahlin has a bad game ... “he sucks, trade him”.
Not “Dahlin had a bad game tonight. He sucked”. 

Long way to go, implies to me 3 to 4 years. I don’t think UPL has a long way to go especially if he continues to develop well. More like 1 more full season, perhaps 2. Now If he doesn’t develop well, and plateaus, then he probably won’t make it out of the AHL for any extended period. I can see a scenario where he continues to develop well, and for the 22-23 or 23-24 season he’s backing up whatever starting goalie we have. Just as easily I can see his development plateauing and he never makes it out of the AHL except for the occasional call up due to injury or just to take a look at him. It’s very fluid and unknown right now. 

On 4/24/2021 at 8:31 PM, Kong said:

Just hang out, I'll think of some more. Seriously, is there any argument here? What is your argument, besides insulting me?

I think what the poster may have been desiring, was a little more reasoning behind you simply stating Marner was better than Bjork. 

Anyone can just say “pizza > tacos” but why do you think so? 

On 4/24/2021 at 8:24 PM, Kong said:

Mitch Marner > Jack Eichel

On 4/24/2021 at 8:31 PM, Kong said:

Jack Eichel on a worse team was involved in 0.405% of all goals scored. 

Mitch Marner on a far better team is only involved in 0.3737% of all goals scored.

So Eichel is better. He wasn't while playing injured this year on a team coached by a fool but even last year Eichel contributed more to the team as a percentage than Marner has.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I think what the poster may have been desiring, was a little more reasoning behind you simply stating Marner was better than Bjork. 

Anyone can just say “pizza > tacos” but why do you think so? 

10 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

Nobody would say that. Tacos are the greatest food and everyone knows that

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Pizza hands down.  Cold or hot, always good out of the fridge.  Taco's not so much.

Pizza and it's not even close. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Pizza and it's not even close. 

Closer than you think.  You also have to factor in region and quality of the pizza or tacos.  For example, I live in Orange County CA and we have incredible options on authentic Mexican or Tex-Mex food.  Pizza, not so much.  Every time we have visitors from the 716 region, they never want to order a pizza. Conversely, when I visit my parents in Buffalo and my options are pizza vs taco's the decision is clear cut.  Pizza 100%.  

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Broken Ankles said:

Closer than you think.  You also have to factor in region and quality of the pizza or tacos.  For example, I live in Orange County CA and we have incredible options on authentic Mexican or Tex-Mex food.  Pizza, not so much.  Every time we have visitors from the 716 region, they never want to order a pizza. Conversely, when I visit my parents in Buffalo and my options are pizza vs taco's the decision clear cut.  Pizza 100%.  

Ah yeah that is true, very good points. 

I'll say I've never gotten Mexican food outside of NYS, or BBQ for that matter. Definitely missing out.

Just now, WildCard said:

I'll say I've never gotten Mexican food outside of NYS, or BBQ for that matter. Definitely missing out.

You need to visit So Cal - San Diego, LA or Orange Counties and have Carne Asada, Carnitas, or Pollo taco's.  So many options on flavored tortillas, flour or corn.  And the chips and salsa are always made fresh.  Like hot, fresh out of the oil corn chips.  Some places even press their flour tortillas fresh each night. 

On 4/25/2021 at 11:12 AM, Thorny said:

Healthy Jack is the more impactful, game-altering player. 

Healthy Jack is key. Seems like coming back from this latest injury will be key. Maybe Jack will produce better on a better team but seems like he's injury prone. Marner has been more durable and is a great point producer, no matter who he plays with. He has a great brain for hockey. He passes beautifully and his teammates to a man love him. Plus he doesn't pout.

Yes pizza vs. tacos is a very interesting discussion. But it depends where you get them from. My Buffalo favorite was Leonardi's...who are now gone. I didn't have a favorite taco destination so I suppose I like pizza better.

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

BBQ outside NY is so good. Georgia, Carolina, Tennessee all have great variations

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Every time we have visitors from the 716 region, they never want to order a pizza

Because pizza outside of the 716 sux unless you're in Chicago and like deep dish.  Besides, who has visitors who want pizza?  Visitors want local stuff.

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Because pizza outside of the 716 sux unless you're in Chicago and like deep dish.  Besides, who has visitors who want pizza?  Visitors want local stuff.

I made everyone who came for my wedding get pizza, not at the wedding but the day b4

Edited by LGR4GM

Very excellent points being made here. SoCal has INCREDIBLE tacos that you will not find in NY. There was a joint in Rochester a few years ago that was the real deal, but they didn’t advertise and were only open for a few months before closing. 

Conversely, you can’t find a good pizza anywhere in Cali. Just doesn’t exist. Buffalo style pizza is the best you will find anywhere - sorry Chicago, Detroit, NYC, and everywhere else. Even my favorite local Rochester pizza places don’t compare to the pizza places in Buffalo. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk