Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He will be. Maybe even as soon as sometime next season. 

My expectation is that Cozens will move ahead at some point as well.

But, my expectation is that will happen 1 or 2 seasons from now; not next season.  If it does happen next season, Mittelstadt's trajectory/ ceiling is lower than we're all hoping it to be.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

My expectation is that Cozens will move ahead at some point as well.

But, my expectation is that will happen 1 or 2 seasons from now; not next season.  If it does happen next season, Mittelstadt's trajectory/ ceiling is lower than we're all hoping it to be.

He's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Should we expect him to be higher?

If his entire line settles in 3rd or 4th next year that'll do. 

Oh Mittlestadt btw

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

He's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Should we expect him to be higher?

If his entire line settles in 3rd or 4th next year that'll do. 

Oh Mittlestadt btw

Mittelstadt should be a solid to above average 2C. Cozens should top out as an above average 2C/ good 1C.  If Cozens supplants him next year (at only 20 yo, btw) then Mitts likely tops out as a nearly solid 2C / good 3C.

He's NOT a golden lab puppy when he doesn't have the puck anymore.  He grew a lot after getting sent to Ra-cha-cha.  Hoping (& expecting) he's not done improving.

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Mittelstadt should be a solid to above average 2C. Cozens should top out as an above average 2C/ good 1C.  If Cozens supplants him next year (at only 20 yo, btw) then Mitts likely tops out as a nearly solid 2C / good 3C.

He's NOT a golden lab puppy when he doesn't have the puck anymore.  He grew a lot after getting sent to Ra-cha-cha.  Hoping (& expecting) he's not done improving.

I think that's Mitts future. 2 or 3 C who can slide up to fill in for injury.

I'd be thrilled with that tbh, as long as the team is seeing success. 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Brandon Hagel with his 2nd OT goal of the season last night.  Now has 19 points in 43 games.    Thanks Botts! 😡

That one hurts. That guy has been playing in all situations for them and has a non stop motor. 

24 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Nah, I’d rather keep Eichel. Kaprizov is a winger and I just don’t trust rookie numbers until they follow it up 

Me either I was just throwing out a random deal. Agreed on the center vs winger point.

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

I still see 2C as Casey's ceiling, I guess for me that would fall under "solid" - but it's just as likely to me he's more of a 2/3 tweener, maybe even back on wing. Above average 2C is a bit too optimistic, in my opinion, but who knows

I see Cozens in the Scheifele trajectory mode - I could see him becoming a top 15 league centre

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I still see 2C as Casey's ceiling, I guess for me that would fall under "solid" - but it's just as likely to me he's more of a 2/3 tweener, maybe even back on wing. Above average 2C is a bit too optimistic, in my opinion, but who knows

I see Cozens in the Scheifele trajectory mode - I could see him becoming a top 15 league centre

What's a 2/3 tweener, 35-50 points over the next 5-8 years? 40-60 bumps him to an average #2?

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What's a 2/3 tweener, 35-50 points over the next 5-8 years? 40-60 bumps him to an average #2?

60 is probably good 1C quality. Average 1C I'd imagine is a bit below that?

It's tricky looking just at points: I could see him around that 45-50 mark, which is second line production at least - but I think he does it as a winger or, maybe more likely, as the centre on an offensively sheltered 3rd line. The Roy line for lack of a better term. His raw totals on a line like that wouldn't be transferable to the 2C mold I see Cozens fulfilling - 200 feet of dominance against other teams' best/better players. 

Both could have 50 points but one will do it tilting the ice against better competition

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

60 is probably good 1C quality. Average 1C I'd imagine is a bit below that?

It's tricky looking just at points: I could see him around that 45-50 mark, which is second line production at least - but I think he does it as a winger or, maybe more likely, as the centre on an offensively sheltered 3rd line. The Roy line for lack of a better term. His raw totals on a line like that wouldn't be transferable to the 2C mold I see Cozens fulfilling - 200 feet of dominance against other teams' best/better players. 

Both could have 50 points but one will do it tilting the ice against better competition

I think 50 points is a good average for a legit 2C, the defence marks the difference between a 1B and a 2B.

I think Roy is Casey's ceiling and in his prime Roy was a good 2C.