Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

On 4/26/2021 at 9:04 PM, Curt said:

Is pizza in Buffalo really that good?  Why?

I must be in the minority when I say Buffalo NY pizza is just as awful as any place in this country that doesn't imitate NYC slices.  Buffalo chains use too much dough, and usually too much cheese.  I've lived all over NY state (80% in WNY) and the best spot I've been to outside the city is Pizza King in Schenectady.  

On 4/26/2021 at 9:26 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

Of course, the city is best known for its deep-fried chicken wings and the varieties of cayenne pepper-based sauces that go with them. But Buffalo has made another notable contribution to American cuisine: Buffalo-style pizza. Characterized by a light, fluffy, almost focaccia-like crust, a semisweet sauce, copious amounts of mozzarella cheese and exclusive use of cup-and-char pepperoni, it’s a style that Buffalo residents swear by. And Buffalo is a city that knows its pizza. According to Arthur Bovino, a founding editor of The Daily Meal and author of Buffalo Everything: A Guide to Eating in the Nickel City, the town boasts more than 600 pizzerias, or roughly one pizzeria for every 428 people. “There are more pizzerias per capita in Buffalo than in New York City, which is kind of crazy to think about,” Bovino notes. 

This is a great description of Buffalo pizza, and exactly why I don't like it (although I do like the cup-and-char pep).  I'll take thin crispy crusts vs soft piles of dough any day.  

On 4/26/2021 at 10:01 PM, LGR4GM said:

First got to Georgia and asked what was the best pizza place, response was Domino's or papa John's... I ate a lot of Mexican and BBQ

When I was living in GA I always hit up Mellow Mushroom for their BBQ chicken pizza, or Fellini's for a traditional slice.  I was only down there for 6 months but it was long enough to think Wing Zone wings were decent.  Then I moved back to Rochester, grabbed wings at the pub around the corner, and I swore I'd never over-estimate the quality of a wing again.  Over estimating the quality of GMs and head coaches are another story entirely....

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

ROR was rejuevenated going to the Loo and Hall now with the B's...wonder if Skinner would do the same if he went somewhere else?  Totally agree though sure is annoying reading how great Hal is doing. I was kinda glad for ROR but not in the least for Hall.

I could care less about Hall. I suppose he was just another victim of RK while also being one of his biggest proponents. I doubt he would make that choice again. As Hall relates to the Sabres that relationship was more parasitic than symbiotic.

2 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I could care less about Hall. I suppose he was just another victim of RK while also being one of his biggest proponents. I doubt he would make that choice again. As Hall relates to the Sabres that relationship was more parasitic than symbiotic.

You doubt Hall would make that choice again?  He'd do it in a hot second.  It worked out perfectly for him.  Or do you mean you doubt Adams would make that choice again?

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

You doubt Hall would make that choice again?  He'd do it in a hot second.  It worked out perfectly for him.  Or do you mean you doubt Adams would make that choice again?

Yeah I guess you’re right. Money being everything to these guys. I should have said Knowing what he knows now about playing for RK again, i doubt he chooses that path again. Money aside.

6 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Yeah I guess you’re right. Money being everything to these guys. I should have said Knowing what he knows now about playing for RK again, i doubt he chooses that path again. Money aside.

How much weight should we attribute to the fact all the advanced stats said Hall was getting chances and was super unlucky, due for a bounce back, when that bounce back did happen? Was this a case of the advanced metrics indeed being predictive? Or is it simply the Bruins facilitating something we couldn't? Is Hall TRYING harder, now?

I didn't like Hall's game overall, here, much either, and in fact scoffed somewhat at the metrics at the time - but maybe my eye-test was too biased, mired in frustration at the overall situation

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How much weight should we attribute to the fact all the advanced stats said Hall was getting chances and was super unlucky, due for a bounce back, when that bounce back did happen? Was this a case of the advanced metrics indeed being predictive? Or is it simply the Bruins facilitating something we couldn't? Is Hall TRYING harder, now?

I didn't like Hall's game overall, here, much either, and in fact scoffed somewhat at the metrics at the time - but maybe my eye-test was too biased, mired in frustration at the overall situation

I think you have to differentiate between the first half of his time here when he was playing pretty well and not producing goals and the second half when he was lost and/or had given up.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think you have to differentiate between the first half of his time here when he was playing pretty well and not producing goals and the second half when he was lost and/or had given up.

Agree with this.  First part of the season by my eye he was our most dynamic player.

12 hours ago, Ducky said:

delete

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

I love football. I don’t give two shytz about the draft. I think it is beyond stupid.

Sorry ball don’t lie. Over 15 million viewers for last years draft, less than 1/2 mill average for a NBC hockey game (I can only imagine what NBCSports ratings were).  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sorry ball don’t lie. Over 15 million viewers for last years draft, less than 1/2 mill average for a NBC hockey game (I can only imagine what NBCSports ratings were).  

I know, right? There are a lot of stupid people.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I know, right? There are a lot of stupid people.

That’s a lot of frequenters of this site you’d be taking a shot at with this, the NHL draft has a huge following around here. 

Or is the NFL draft stupid but the NHL draft not stupid? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

That’s a lot of frequenters of this site you’d be taking a shot at with this, the NHL draft has a huge following around here. 

Or is the NFL draft stupid but the NHL draft not stupid? 

Both. It was just a shot. Should have put a smiley emoji or something.

I just like sport, not all the pomp around it. I don’t watch pregame shows. I don’t watch postgame shows.

I know people love it. I just don’t get it. Especially when we have heard year after year how well we did in the draft or offseason only to suck year after year.

I think people just like to hear themselves talk and they sure get to do that when it comes to drafts.

• Thanks (+1) 1