Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Living in a bad pizza city now made me realize Buffalo pizza is in fact very good.

Yeah after being down south a decade I can definitely say people are incredibly lucky in Buffalo. Better off having a favorite chain in the south. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

Is pizza in Buffalo really that good?  Why?

Of course, the city is best known for its deep-fried chicken wings and the varieties of cayenne pepper-based sauces that go with them. But Buffalo has made another notable contribution to American cuisine: Buffalo-style pizza. Characterized by a light, fluffy, almost focaccia-like crust, a semisweet sauce, copious amounts of mozzarella cheese and exclusive use of cup-and-char pepperoni, it’s a style that Buffalo residents swear by. And Buffalo is a city that knows its pizza. According to Arthur Bovino, a founding editor of The Daily Meal and author of Buffalo Everything: A Guide to Eating in the Nickel City, the town boasts more than 600 pizzerias, or roughly one pizzeria for every 428 people. “There are more pizzerias per capita in Buffalo than in New York City, which is kind of crazy to think about,” Bovino notes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

We have a decent enough place for pizza here in NH (Sal's) but I like to make my own from scratch. I make your typical thin-crust NY style but recently tried making Detroit pan-style. Turned out good. It has that focaccia-like crust too, crispy on the bottom, with a nice edge of caramelized Brick cheese.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We have a decent enough place for pizza here in NH (Sal's) but I like to make my own from scratch. I make your typical thin-crust NY style but recently tried making Detroit pan-style. Turned out good. It has that focaccia-like crust too, crispy on the bottom, with a nice edge of caramelized Brick cheese.

Did you put the sauce on top instead of inside?

42 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Yeah after being down south a decade I can definitely say people are incredibly lucky in Buffalo. Better off having a favorite chain in the south. 

First got to Georgia and asked what was the best pizza place, response was Domino's or papa John's... I ate a lot of Mexican and BBQ

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

e350c69f-bf12-4bd7-bb65-3f7875637b5d.thumb.jpeg.ec94b78cf8058349f2ed09fc390b90b2.jpeg

The sauce, dough, cheese ratio mixed with the flavors of all 3 and the texture is perfection. 

I'm in Buffalo next month for a wedding and I'm absolutely going to let all the food ravage my body. I can't wait.

25 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Carolina clinches a spot. 

I thought this was a comment about pizza and I was very lost. Stay on topic, jeez.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I'm in Buffalo next month for a wedding and I'm absolutely going to let all the food ravage my body. I can't wait.

I thought this was a comment about pizza and I was very lost. Stay on topic, jeez.

Yeah I got heated for a second. Carolina pizza sucks. 

Just now, #freejame said:

Yeah I got heated for a second. Carolina pizza sucks. 

When you've had good pizza your whole life and you move somewhere where there is no good pizza you realize it actually is possible to mess up pizza. There are a few edible spots and then your typical "wood-fired" style which isn't really the same thing.

What are everyone's thoughts on NHL Awards this season?

It feels like the Hart (McDavid), Vezina (Vasilevskiy) and Calder (Kaprizov) are all already locked up.

Fleury was my favorite for a while for Vezina but I think Vasilevskiy has come back to steal that one pretty easily.

Cale Makar, Adam Fox and Victor Hedman seem to get the most talk for the Norris and I think Makar should be in the lead there. I saw a conversation on the twitterverse about Jakob Chyrchrun (remember him?) being in that conversation.

Jack Adams is the most interesting one. Dean Evason in Minnesota, Joel Quenneville in Florida and Mike Sullivan in Pittsburgh are all in the conversation ... but I think Rod Brind'Amour deserves the recognition there.

19 hours ago, Hoss said:

When you've had good pizza your whole life and you move somewhere where there is no good pizza you realize it actually is possible to mess up pizza. There are a few edible spots and then your typical "wood-fired" style which isn't really the same thing.

IMG-20210427-182548.jpg

I just whipped this up for game time. Italian sausage and elbow macaroni with Brick cheese. I never had pasta on pizza until I stopped in New Jersey.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Taylor Hall has dazzled since he moved over to the Bruins. He scored a beauty last night. Hall has scored 4x and added 3 assists in 9 games with the Bruins, which is twice as much as he scored in Buffalo. Hall is a gutless mercenary. I can't stand him! What a lousy pickup. But again, it's on our front office.

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/bruins/taylor-hall-dazzles-in-bruins-bounce-back-win-over-penguins

The best pizza I had was in Cusco , Peru. Thats right guys, not even in North America. Right out of the wood fired pizza oven . Simmering in there right next to the guinea pig. Simply the best damn pizza I’ve had and I’ve tried a lot of them. 

21 minutes ago, Kong said:

Taylor Hall has dazzled since he moved over to the Bruins. He scored a beauty last night. Hall has scored 4x and added 3 assists in 9 games with the Bruins, which is twice as much as he scored in Buffalo. Hall is a gutless mercenary. I can't stand him! What a lousy pickup. But again, it's on our front office.

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/bruins/taylor-hall-dazzles-in-bruins-bounce-back-win-over-penguins

Over the next three weeks, Rossi went from doctor to doctor. Luckily, he wasn’t alone. Rossi was living with Thomas Vanek, the former Gophers star and Wild forward who is arguably Austria’s most famous former hockey player.

“He helped me so much and I’m so thankful for everything he did,” Rossi said. “Like, he bought the medicine for me. He drove me to the hospitals. He did everything for me. I’m so thankful that he was there and that he helped me. I don’t want to imagine what would be if I would have been alone at the hotel or anywhere else.”

3 hours ago, Kong said:

This was very predictable.