COVID-19

Indabuff

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

for the life of me, i dont understand the hesitation. who wants to live like we have the past year. i just dont get it. 

i keep hearing long term side effects, but you read that if you get a bad case of covid, excluding death, there are long term issues with that as well. why risk it. 

I don't think people are declining the vaccine out of selfishness or stupidity, although in a large nation of course there will be some of that.  I think the hesitation arises primarily from 2 factors:

- concern about the safety of the vaccine itself, since it was developed and produced at a greatly accelerated pace, the mRNA vaccines are using a new technology that hasn't been used in any previous vaccine, and there is no data on side effects/safety over the long term.

- distrust of public health authorities given numerous dishonest statements over the course of the pandemic that have been justified after the fact by "we knowingly issued XYZ untrue statement because we thought it was best for public health."

Hopefully, both concerns will be alleviated over time and vaccination rates will rise -- which is why I'm curious about how long it's taken historically for other vaccines to reach, say, 90% of the eligible population.

47 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't think people are declining the vaccine out of selfishness or stupidity, although in a large nation of course there will be some of that.  I think the hesitation arises primarily from 2 factors:

- concern about the safety of the vaccine itself, since it was developed and produced at a greatly accelerated pace, the mRNA vaccines are using a new technology that hasn't been used in any previous vaccine, and there is no data on side effects/safety over the long term.

- distrust of public health authorities given numerous dishonest statements over the course of the pandemic that have been justified after the fact by "we knowingly issued XYZ untrue statement because we thought it was best for public health."

Hopefully, both concerns will be alleviated over time and vaccination rates will rise -- which is why I'm curious about how long it's taken historically for other vaccines to reach, say, 90% of the eligible population.

And you cite two stupid reasons to decline the vaccine.

• Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Third reason: Making political statement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don't ever recall any reports whatsoever of health authorities saying "we knowingly issued XYZ untrue statement because we thought it was best for public health."  Can you provide some examples?

On 7/15/2021 at 11:38 AM, Thwomp! said:

I went to a lab and the testing lady said plenty of vaccinated people are still getting it, FWIW.

Correct. The vaccine does not prevent you from getting the virus. It prevents severe illnesses at a very high rate.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/15/2021 at 4:15 PM, Claude Balls said:

I saw a story on the news last night about a 13 year old girl who contracted the Delta. She is now in the hospital on a respirator and her kidneys are failing. They talked to the mother, in the daughters hospital room, and the mother said she herself was unvaccinated, but this whole experience opened her eyes and now she is going to get vaccinated. The sad thing is that some people need something like this to happen to them in order to wake up and realize how important the vaccine is. She also said her daughter will be vaccinated as soon as she's allowed to get it. With failing kidneys, that seems unlikely to happen. Very sad story.

This is really scary. I was under the impression that if kids get sick, it’s really not that bad, and that adults are more at risk. My wife and I were vaccinated back in February/ March but the kids are not. 

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

This is really scary. I was under the impression that if kids get sick, it’s really not that bad, and that adults are more at risk. My wife and I were vaccinated back in February/ March but the kids are not. 

With the Delta variant, age doesn't matter. I have three daughters, ages 23, 22 and 18. None are vaccinated. I keep telling them to get the GD vaccination. These kids think their invincible.

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The vaccine research that ended with at least three effective vaccines didn't start when covid started ravaging the world. The foundation of these current vaccines was built a number of years ago when the sars virus was ravaging the far east. That's when the research for the current vaccines started. The basis of the current vaccines were being researched years ago. When the sars virus was mostly tamed after wreaking havoc in the far east the research dramatically slowed. My point is that this vaccine wasn't rushed because the ground work was done years ago. And then over the past year or so it started up again at an intense level when this year's covid outbreak worked its way through the world.   

The simple and stark truth is 98-99% of the people dying in the US from covid were not vaccinated. What is the explanation for so many people not getting vaccinated? Willful ignorance based on an anti-science orientation and a political leaning that promotes an anti-establishment and anti-elite belief system. 

• Like (+1) 3

People don’t trust the people telling them to take the vaccine.  Add in people on TV who advocate mandatory vaccination to be able to do certain things.  This makes people not want to get it out of defiance.  I doubt vaccination rates go much higher.  World keeps turning.

48 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The vaccine research that ended with at least three effective vaccines didn't start when covid started ravaging the world. The foundation of these current vaccines was built a number of years ago when the sars virus was ravaging the far east. That's when the research for the current vaccines started. The basis of the current vaccines were being researched years ago. When the sars virus was mostly tamed after wreaking havoc in the far east the research dramatically slowed. My point is that this vaccine wasn't rushed because the ground work was done years ago. And then over the past year or so it started up again at an intense level when this year's covid outbreak worked its way through the world.   

The simple and stark truth is 98-99% of the people dying in the US from covid were not vaccinated. What is the explanation for so many people not getting vaccinated? Willful ignorance based on an anti-science orientation and a political leaning that promotes an anti-establishment and anti-elite belief system. 

Excellent point per the bolded.  mRNA research began in the 1980's.  And thank goodness it did.

Not only that, but mRNA research is making significant strides in effectively battling cancer.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

People don’t trust the people telling them to take the vaccine.  Add in people on TV who advocate mandatory vaccination to be able to do certain things.  This makes people not want to get it out of defiance.  I doubt vaccination rates go much higher.  World keeps turning.

Add in ppl on TV who lied and continue to lie about Covid and the Vaccine. 

• Like (+1) 1

my sister in law and her trash boyfriend were supposed to go to a wedding. they had a rehearsal party last week and now the bride and the maid of honor have covid.

my sister in law and the trash boyfriend got tested for covid since they were with them, but my sister in law tested negative. she is vaccinated. i dont know about the trash boyfriend.  my wife just saw her sister 2 days ago. again her sister tested negative, but now my wife is goign to get tested. im sure she will be negative. 

this trash boyfriend has been a problem since she met him, although technically this is not his fault, but if she wasnt with his sorry ass, then she wouldnt have had to go to this wedding.

anyway, he is a real loser. 

15 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

my sister in law and her trash boyfriend were supposed to go to a wedding. they had a rehearsal party last week and now the bride and the maid of honor have covid.

my sister in law and the trash boyfriend got tested for covid since they were with them, but my sister in law tested negative. she is vaccinated. i dont know about the trash boyfriend.  my wife just saw her sister 2 days ago. again her sister tested negative, but now my wife is goign to get tested. im sure she will be negative. 

this trash boyfriend has been a problem since she met him, although technically this is not his fault, but if she wasnt with his sorry ass, then she wouldnt have had to go to this wedding.

anyway, he is a real loser. 

This story is Covid adjacent.  I recommend the Thursday Complaint thread to you good sir.

Here is the latest vaccine doses per 100 people - by nation - map from CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/

USA is at 100 which is #4 in the Western Hemisphere, with Uruguay 128, Chile 127, Canada 117.

Elsewhere, UAE 164, Iceland 137, Israel 127, Qatar 121, UK 120, Mongolia 119.

The USA needs to get more competitive about this *****!   USA! USA!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

When people primarily out of defiance don't want to do the sensible thing when it relates to a life and death issue they aren't acting rationally. Nearly 99% of the hospitalizations and deaths associated with covid are not vaccinated. This is ignorance rising to a deadly level. I don't wish anyone ill-will. What I don't have to give is sympathy for something that can be easily prevented. 

• Like (+1) 1