COVID-19

Indabuff

14 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

I get your point, but I disagree.  AIDS victims in the 90's, if given the chance, would have flocked to where vaccinations and/or cures were available in droves.

The point is that their contracting the virus was seen as divine punishment for "sin" worthy of celebration which is exactly the attitude expressed in the post I responded to.

Also the phrase "***** around and find out" is right up there with "Read the room" in terms of awful social media as a festival of cruelty memephrases that just need to go away forever.

21 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The point is that their contracting the virus was seen as divine punishment for "sin" worthy of celebration which is exactly the attitude expressed in the post I responded to.

Also the phrase "***** around and find out" is right up there with "Read the room" in terms of awful social media as a festival of cruelty memephrases that just need to go away forever.

Per the bolded, again I disagree.  Those who were stricken by Covid, who had every opportunity to get vaxxed in advance, and willfully refused to do so, are not victims.  It is not so much a matter of divine punishment to me, as much as it is just simple Darwinism - survival of the fittest.

47 minutes ago, sabremike said:

People should stop f*cking around then.

13 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

So as variants continue to come does it ever get to the point where the vaccine is no longer useful?

The vaccines are going to continue to protect the vaccinated, the problem will lie with the unvaccinated who will become much sicker much faster from the new variants. 

The question is going to be, how much f*cking around and finding out will the government allow before we end up doing another short shutdown (4-6 weeks?) to give people who haven't been vaxxed one last opportunity to do so? How many unvaxxed people reaping what they've sown is too many? 

13 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

So as variants continue to come does it ever get to the point where the vaccine is no longer useful?

this is what scientists work on all the time. Right now it's working and many people who have not received the vaccine are getting sick and dying.

40 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The vaccines are going to continue to protect the vaccinated, the problem will lie with the unvaccinated who will become much sicker much faster from the new variants. 

The question is going to be, how much f*cking around and finding out will the government allow before we end up doing another short shutdown (4-6 weeks?) to give people who haven't been vaxxed one last opportunity to do so? How many unvaxxed people reaping what they've sown is too many? 

if people haven't received the vaccine by now...I don't see anything convincing them to do so

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

this is what scientists work on all the time. Right now it's working and many people who have not received the vaccine are getting sick and dying.

if people haven't received the vaccine by now...I don't see anything convincing them to do so

I saw that Florida and Tennessee are seeing spikes in COVID

On 7/9/2021 at 11:00 AM, Brawndo said:

I have been telling My Vaccine Hesitant Patients this for Months. 

They ask Why People who are vaccinated have to worry about Them not getting the shot, I respond with if not enough people get fully immunized there eventually will be a variant that current vaccines are not as effective or even worse ineffective against. 

I'm sure you are very professional and polite. However, when talking to these hesitant patients do you say to yourself WTF is the matter with you? If you can't think this issue through you got to be freaking stupid. 

I have a nephew who lives in Arizona. I asked him if he got vaccinated and he said no. I asked him why not? His reasons were lame. I'm aware that people have different political inclinations but allowing the vaccination issue to become a political issue is discouraging. For me getting vaccinated was a blessing and liberating. I just don't get it. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm sure you are very professional and polite. However, when talking to these hesitant patients do you say to yourself WTF is the matter with you? If you can't think this issue through you got to be freaking stupid. 

I have a nephew who lives in Arizona. I asked him if he got vaccinated and he said no. I asked him why not? His reasons were lame. I'm aware that people have different political inclinations but allowing the vaccination issue to become a political issue is discouraging. For me getting vaccinated was a blessing and liberating. I just don't get it. 

I had an interesting conversation with an old friend today. I mentioned to him that i think people who have witnessed first hand or in their area bad cases of covid might be more likely to get the vaccine 

For Example in nj, the entire state was slammed with cases for a very long time. As soon as i could get tye vaccine I got it.

My sister, who lives in upstate ny didn't have lots of cases around her. She took forever to get it, and really only got it because of her job

Edited by Mike Honcho
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I had an interesting conversation with an old friend today. I mentioned to him that i think people who have witnessed first hand or in their area bad cases of covid might be more likely to get the vaccine 

For Example in nj, the entire state was slammed with cases for a very long time. As soon as i could get tye vaccine I got it.

My sister, who lives in upstate ny didn't have lots of cases around her. She took forever to get it, and really only got it because of her job

The concept that if I don't experience something it doesn't exist or it is so far away from me it is not my problem but an issue for others is a damaging attitude from a preventive health perspective. People are exposed to different information silos. One silo informs and the other misinforms. Two different realities with one of them difficult to penetrate with the truth. It's frustrating, sad and deadly.

Edited by JohnC

Well I just went and got tested for Covid.

Yes, I got fully vaccinated (Pfizer) as soon as I could be.  Yes, I already had Covid in December.

I thought I had a cold starting Monday, but then I lost all taste and smell (the absolute worst part of covid for me), so here I am.

Worst luck ever if I have this goddamn virus again.

55 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

I went to a lab and the testing lady said plenty of vaccinated people are still getting it, FWIW.

Yes, some vaccinated people are catching the virus but symptoms are mild and no need to go to the hospital...opposed to unvaccinated who are getting very sick and dying

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

Yes, I got fully vaccinated (Pfizer) as soon as I could be.  Yes, I already had Covid in December.

I thought I had a cold starting Monday, but then I lost all taste and smell (the absolute worst part of covid for me), so here I am.

Hope you feel better soon

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

You are not alone in being fully vaccinated and getting infected again. Rich Eisen also had the same experience. By getting vaccinated you probably got a less severe outcome than if you weren't vaccinated. I wish you the best. 

https://www.audacy.com/929espn/sports/nfl/rich-eisen-reveals-breakthrough-covid-touts-vaccines

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

And the whole Delta variant thing. Ugh

I saw a story on the news last night about a 13 year old girl who contracted the Delta. She is now in the hospital on a respirator and her kidneys are failing. They talked to the mother, in the daughters hospital room, and the mother said she herself was unvaccinated, but this whole experience opened her eyes and now she is going to get vaccinated. The sad thing is that some people need something like this to happen to them in order to wake up and realize how important the vaccine is. She also said her daughter will be vaccinated as soon as she's allowed to get it. With failing kidneys, that seems unlikely to happen. Very sad story.

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Sad 2

nj numbers are slightly higher than the have been. there is over 300 cases yesterday, which is still low, but considering at the beginning of the month we had a day where it was 95.

however, none of the information i could find specifies how many of the cases or % of the cases are from people who have the vaccine vs not vaccinated. for example, if the 300 cases has 280 non vaccinated, and only 20 that were vaccinated, then it is still a comfort about the vaccine is working as expected.

i know they are giving numbers as facts, but they arent completely relevant anymore without the vaccinated vs unvax numbers. you know the covid numbers are going to go hit the unvax people because for them nothing has really changed, we arent at a high enough percentage of vax for herd immunity. 

EDIT: i found an older report about 1 month ago that says its less than 1% of vaccinated people getting covid. its not the exact number i was looking for, but generally it gives the information that the vaccine is working better than expected

https://www.nj.gov/health/news/2021/approved/20210609a.shtml#:~:text=The Department of Health has,Jersey's COVID-19 vaccination program.

Edited by Mike Honcho
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

nj numbers are slightly higher than the have been. there is over 300 cases yesterday, which is still low, but considering at the beginning of the month we had a day where it was 95.

however, none of the information i could find specifies how many of the cases or % of the cases are from people who have the vaccine vs not vaccinated. for example, if the 300 cases has 280 non vaccinated, and only 20 that were vaccinated, then it is still a comfort about the vaccine is working as expected.

i know they are giving numbers as facts, but they arent completely relevant anymore without the vaccinated vs unvax numbers. you know the covid numbers are going to go hit the unvax people because for them nothing has really changed, we arent at a high enough percentage of vax for herd immunity. 

i found an older report about 1 month ago that says its less than 1% of vaccinated people getting covid. its not the exact number i was looking for, but generally it gives the information that the vaccine is working better than expected

https://www.nj.gov/health/news/2021/approved/20210609a.shtml#:~:text=The Department of Health has,Jersey's COVID-19 vaccination program.

You mean 20% didn't get us there? And not even 50%? Shocker.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I’d be interested to know how quickly other vaccines (measles, TB, etc) were adopted on a mass scale.  

for the life of me, i dont understand the hesitation. who wants to live like we have the past year. i just dont get it. 

i keep hearing long term side effects, but you read that if you get a bad case of covid, excluding death, there are long term issues with that as well. why risk it.