COVID-19

Indabuff

33 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It wouldn’t help with fans at games, and I’m sure non-sports fans would be up in arms, but I’d be in favor of allowing players and other game day staff to get vaccinated before training camps start.  It would be less than 100 vaccinations per team, so for the whole NHL it would only be 2500-3000 total. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, knowing how many doses are being produced. 

It would at least allow for an uninterrupted season.

I would not be in favor of this, from a moral standpoint.

• Like (+1) 2

@JShannonhl: For clarification...

The NHL is interested in securing vaccine when and if it’s available for private purchase. 

Is it at this point? — no.  

The league also is adamant the it would not jump the line to do so.

one of my co-workers tested positive for covid. she also had it in march. when she had it in march, it lasted for 6 weeks. this time its much easier, but still not good

thankfully my office is fully wfh, so no concern of spreading

Edited by miles

19 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

On the good news front one of my coworkers wife who had covid in March was just tested for antibodies and 9 months later still has them or was reactive to be accurate.

Gonna try and get tested because why have vaccine right away if others need it and i still have immunity

Fair, and maybe, but the science isn't in yet on how long immunity lasts. It probably does last for a while, but I have heard experts saying people should be cautious with this idea that if you've had it you're totally safe. Just don't know. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Fair, and maybe, but the science isn't in yet on how long immunity lasts. It probably does last for a while, but I have heard experts saying people should be cautious with this idea that if you've had it you're totally safe. Just don't know. 

Is it safe to assume the immunity lasts at least c. eight months? We're not hearing about lots of people in NYC/NJ getting re-infected.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:03 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

It’s not that anyone pretends it doesn’t exist. There are people who think the number  killed from COVID is exaggerated. 

There definitely are some of those. We know that early on the number was anything but accurate and there were plenty of instances where COVID was attributed to the death when it might not have been the cause.  So, the basis for people to question it is there... but to pretend it doesn't exist is pure ignorance.  That said, to question the current status is probably an entirely different level of ignorance simply because testing, etc. has come so far.  Of course the accuracy is testing is questioned by some and I have no idea if its valid or not.

I'm still firmly in the camp that we simply do not know enough about this to understand how it impacts people. A co-worker of mine with 5 kids had it go through his house. Wife and one child tested positive, had symptoms but mild. Another child tested positive, no symptoms, and he and another child tested negative. They didn't quarantine from each other or wear masks inside, etc.  In short, they did nothing to help reduce the spread inside the house. It's just interesting in those cases as to why some get it and are impacted and to what level and yet others in what would be about the same situation don't. I think situations like this also lead people to feel a certain sense of security.  There are obviously certain risk factors that lead people to being more susceptible but as for the "average" person, it's kind of a crap shoot it seems.

I tend to look more macro.  Most information I see still attributes the rise in cases to stem from people who don 't take basic precautions. I am happy to hear that only in the sense that it tends to indicate that basic precautions are effective. That information allows me to move about in society with less concern because its easy to take those precautions.  if we begin hearing about it dominating despite precautions then I would be more concerned for so many people.  Pretty much everyone I know follows those basic precautions.

• Like (+1) 1

I was supposedly going to get the vaccine in the next two weeks, but now that the Governor has announced that EMS is not tier 1 and longer, I have no idea how that impacts fire depts. 

Though if they aren’t getting it, can’t see that we would (nor should we ahead of them). 

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it safe to assume the immunity lasts at least c. eight months? We're not hearing about lots of people in NYC/NJ getting re-infected.

Probably, but it's still a guess. Nobody knows how long it will last at this point. Could be a few months could be for life. 

I'm no expert but I would think (logically) if you got it and you were one of the people that got over it without ending up in an ICU etc. then you're probably pretty safe and good to go. There is still the issue of being contagious though. They still don't know if people who had it can still carry it and spread it to those who haven't had it. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Probably, but it's still a guess. Nobody knows how long it will last at this point. Could be a few months could be for life. 

I'm no expert but I would think (logically) if you got it and you were one of the people that got over it without ending up in an ICU etc. then you're probably pretty safe and good to go. There is still the issue of being contagious though. They still don't know if people who had it can still carry it and spread it to those who haven't had it. 

I am pretty sure its not... though you never know.  My wife and kids didnt get it half our staff who I work in close proximity too didnt including a rad tech whose wife got and quarantined and he and his kids didnt.... I know anecdotal but have heard of post covid spread...