COVID-19

Indabuff

37 minutes ago, ubkev said:

So all the other people who have to go to work with the public every day can eat a bag of ***** then?

I'm asking, not being snarky. 

And only being slightly smug.

If by “eat a bag of ***** then?”, you mean have the vaccine available to you possibly 3 months after the people listed above, then probably yes.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

While I was at work last night they drew my blood for antibody testing, if it's positive then I've had the virus already and I have antibodies, so let's see 

I had blood drawn today for other reasons; will they automatically check for COVID?  (I have two recent negative tests anyway; I'm just curious.)

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I had blood drawn today for other reasons; will they automatically check for COVID?  (I have two recent negative tests anyway; I'm just curious.)

Probably not without an antigen test ordered, and the blood test would only show if you had previous infection, most likely not active 

Vaccines will still be recommended for those previously infected because little is known about ongoing immunity.

It sounds like I'll be near the head of the line. I'll be getting mine squarely in my TPEGS4LIFE tat.

I might be rooting for a requirement for vaccination as a proxy way of weeding out folks who shouldn't be working in health care. Work with old folks and won't get it? You are scummy.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's a good primer on what x% efficacy means (and we should be saying efficacy, not effective).

https://scroll.in/article/979627/a-statistician-explains-what-does-90-efficacy-for-a-covid-19-vaccine-mean

The CP article NS posted has a bit of a strawman in it. Of course 95% efficacy doesn't mean 95% of the people who are vaccinated have no chance of getting Covid. Who even claimed that?

The scroll.in article above makes a key point. Efficacy so far is only an indication of the vaccine's performance in the short run. If protection wanes, that efficacy could be lower. Which of course could be an argument for waiting to release the vaccine.

The article got me to thinking about how interesting it will/would be to see what side effects are observed in the placebo vs. the vaccine group, given the very real mind-body connection.

Edited by PASabreFan

Sent an employee to get tested and stay home.  That's my 3rd employee in 2 weeks.  This time  I'll end up in the contact tracing net if he tests positive. 

Our company is really serious about their efforts to keep this in check at work.  Mandatory masks anywhere on the grounds, including parking lot, and its enforced, mandatory social distancing, no face to face meetings, diligent cleaning, temperature monitors, an executive team managing the response to quarantines and positive tests.  But the employees are getting exposed outside of work.  All three of my employees were exposed to family members that tested positive.

That vaccine can't come soon enough.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

NYS is slotted to get 170,000 Doses of the Pfizer Vaccine later this Month. Per Cuomo those doses will go to Nursing Home Residents. 

Meiser Cuomo, he's such a gem. At this point I just want the vaccine to work so the damn world can get to some sense of normalcy. 

FTR, I am a fan of vaccines, I'm not an anti vaxxer, and they typically have a very very good risk to benefit ratio. There are some vaccinations that I care less about personally but overall they are good. The few that get bad reactions to them I feel bad for but that's just bad luck with genetics. 

Just get this thing produced and give me one in each arm along with the flu shot and let me travel more 😂😂

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Meiser Cuomo, he's such a gem. At this point I just want the vaccine to work so the damn world can get to some sense of normalcy. 

FTR, I am a fan of vaccines, I'm not an anti vaxxer, and they typically have a very very good risk to benefit ratio. There are some vaccinations that I care less about personally but overall they are good. The few that get bad reactions to them I feel bad for but that's just bad luck with genetics. 

Just get this thing produced and give me one in each arm along with the flu shot and let me travel more 😂😂

You haven't had a flu shot yet?

33 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You haven't had a flu shot yet?

I got it a few weeks ago, it was delayed by my pneumonia, I get the shot every year because I have asthma.... I am allowed to decline it, but then the hospital makes you wear a mask during flu season if you don't show proof; this year, that doesn't matter 😂😂 

We are currently in the upslope of the so called "second wave" and it may be worse than the first wave. The laws of exponential growth are in full effect as we spent the summer months allowing spread and we are still allowing spread. It is like not doing forest fire prevention and then suddenly waking up to find out everything is on fire. This goes to a failed overall policy in the US for COVID. People should take care and be cautious, the worst in the US will probably be over the next 2 months as we overwhelm the ICU capacity and add not only COVID deaths but excess deaths due to lack of available beds. Vaccinations will be available in high enough amounts to curve this until sometime in march or april. Hunker down and stay safe. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Edited by LGR4GM

I continue to see little sense in the shutdown.  We've been shut down for two weeks now, and cases continue to rise.  When things were open during the summer and fall, cases did not rise.  I do not see a correlation between the shutdown and a decrease in cases. 

For those who would say "give it more time," no; by the time we "give it more time," we'll be attributing the rise in cases to a "holiday bump," which actually does make some sense.

Meanwhile, people can go into Walmart and put their grubby hands all over holiday decorations that they easily could have ordered online (yeah, that's essential!), but not get a haircut from someone who actually needs her small business to be open.

Correlation?  Weather.  That's about it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I continue to see little sense in the shutdown.  We've been shut down for two weeks now, and cases continue to rise.  When things were open during the summer and fall, cases did not rise.  I do not see a correlation between the shutdown and a decrease in cases. 

For those who would say "give it more time," no; by the time we "give it more time," we'll be attributing the rise in cases to a "holiday bump," which actually does make some sense.

Meanwhile, people can go into Walmart and put their grubby hands all over holiday decorations that they easily could have ordered online (yeah, that's essential!), but not get a haircut from someone who actually needs her small business to be open.

Correlation?  Weather.  That's about it.

You don't see the effect of a shutdown until several weeks have gone by. Targeted lockdowns have been shown to be effective. 

Summertime, people were outside, that's the big difference there.

Maybe the hairdresser in my example should start selling canned food and underwear and then she can remain open as an essential business, providing haircuts on the side, the same way Walmart stays open by selling food and underwear while making a large portion of its money on schlock that isn't essential to anyone for any reason.

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You don't see the effect of a shutdown until several weeks have gone by. Targeted lockdowns have been shown to be effective. 

Summertime, people were outside, that's the big difference there.

Not sure if you are in WNY, but people were outside two weeks before the current lockdown, too.  It was in the 70s.  Most of October and the first couple of weeks of November were gorgeous.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Not sure if you are in WNY, but people were outside two weeks before the current lockdown, too.  It was in the 70s.  Most of October and the first couple of weeks of November were gorgeous.

No, nowhere near. I'm out on the west coast. I probably shouldn't try to speak to the specifics of any particular location (aside from my own) but I do know that hospitals all over are getting overwhelmed so something has to be done or even more people will die, and not just from covid but from other urgent care situations that simply won't get beds or proper staffing and equipment. That is a stat that might not get factored in properly. Indirect death because of but not from covid if you will. 

2-3 week limited lockdowns to buy more time seem like a reasonable idea to me in areas where hospitals are at or near max capacity.