COVID-19

Indabuff

26 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I just cancelled all my flights next month, I had 14 one way flights booked in such a great combination for an involved getaway and most just give credits and not refunds, so I will most certainly lose when I do get to rebook. 

I realize that it's a first world problem and I travel more than most people I know, combined; but it really really sucks that this is the way the world has to be for now.

I called you a hero because of your commitment and role in the pandemic.   After reading 14 one way flights, I’m adding lifestyle!   Go, man, go ....  you’ll get it back.

Well, I’ve not done one of these in forty or fifty years.

BAFD6980-4527-4139-BC6B-38D0F516C3EB.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

Hey doctors or drug experts .. looking for your professional experienced and  knowledgeable opinion ...

Is this lady off her rocker? Or is there a shred of truth to what she’s spewing?

All others can gladly give their less than educated opinion too ? 

I have a limited medical background, which is why I’m asking the not so ignorant on this topic ?

related website info ... https://www.cureus.com/articles/29004-acetazolamide-nifedipine-and-phosphodiesterase-inhibitors-rationale-for-their-utilization-as-adjunctive-countermeasures-in-the-treatment-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

Edited by Zamboni

On 4/17/2020 at 6:33 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Theory is that this acts more like a lung that is injured by altitude sickness moreso than a viral pneumonia, this is why we're finding that intubation really shouldn't be a first or even 2nd option as the increased Peep (positive pressure) from the ventilator may actually be damaging lungs further, rather than helping. These drugs works in all different ways, they alkalize blood and allow for better oxygenation of the blood cells (plus many other responses, anti inflammatory possibly, etc) 

We're starting to get into the realm of now just grabbing things and trying them, I would have to imagine the success of these is very limited. 

When it comes to the science/patho/medicine of the disease process itself, it's very muddy, ever changing. We have a solid viral base, but that's about it. 

Zamboni, this was woody's response.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

For the record, that chick needs to take some benadryl and get some sleep, I just now watched the video and she appears strung out as all hell. "I have Googled everything" so has everyone else! She also probably thinks green lizard people sent the virus here from the galaxy nefaroun to steal our children's adrenochrome. 

I have taken diamox, when mountain climbing.... That stuff has this nasty little side effect of peripheral neuropathy, I was in the unlucky 15% or so..... I woke up in Peru after day 4 with my feet feeling like 2 million pins and needles, the feeling you get when you fall asleep on your arm, only worse, but this lasted for 3 days, AFTER, stopping the diamox. 

I switched to a regimen of dexamethasone after that, has good effect and not as many side effects. But that sucked so much, I would probably rather deal with the Rona. 

I've heard the altitude sickness theory multiple times since this all started, and while it's similar in appearance, the patho behind it is not. Sure the drugs could help, but going into the woods and eating random plants could help too. 

I hope for everyone's mental, physical, financial health that we do come up with a valid cure, and soon. But I'm going to let people with more advanced degrees and intricate labs make that call and not let scared Google searchers try to play hero.

FTR this is the kinda sh1t patients come into the hospital with all the time.... "I've Googled this and you're wrong, or I Googled this and I am demanding you do this test or procedure" 

For as great as Google and search engines are, they are also dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Thanks. I'll have to talk quite a bit while wearing it. And I'll have to wear it for 5-8 hours. Is it a practical idea for me?

I think if you stack the protections, maintaining a proper distance when your talking a lot to minimize the exposure from a potential seal breech, you’ll be doing yourself a favor. Any N95 is going to leak a little at the seal from sweating/talking/moving around. A fit test finds the size that leaks least for you. According to the OSHA hierarchy of controls, PPE is the last line of defense. Engineering controls(protective barriers)administrative controls(rotating workers to minimize exposure)and substitution(materials) all are prioritized over PPE. As far as fit testing, there’s only three sizes(S/M/L). Unless you have a very small head/face, I’d go with the large. Hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Hey doctors or drug experts .. looking for your professional experienced and  knowledgeable opinion ...

Is this lady off her rocker? Or is there a shred of truth to what she’s spewing?

My opinion is neither experienced nor knowledgable.  And I didn't watch the video.  Just looking at the still shot let me know that she's off her rocker.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

FTR this is the kinda sh1t patients come into the hospital with all the time.... "I've Googled this and you're wrong, or I Googled this and I am demanding you do this test or procedure" 

For as great as Google and search engines are, they are also dangerous. 

Yeah, people walk into law offices with some hugely incorrect ideas, too.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I think if you stack the protections, maintaining a proper distance when your talking a lot to minimize the exposure from a potential seal breech, you’ll be doing yourself a favor. Any N95 is going to leak a little at the seal from sweating/talking/moving around. A fit test finds the size that leaks least for you. According to the OSHA hierarchy of controls, PPE is the last line of defense. Engineering controls(protective barriers)administrative controls(rotating workers to minimize exposure)and substitution(materials) all are prioritized over PPE. As far as fit testing, there’s only three sizes(S/M/L). Unless you have a very small head/face, I’d go with the large. Hope this helps.

Stacked protections... I now picture PA wearing three N95 masks and maybe a latex glove over his head.  But just for laughs, he'll color that red so he looks like a rooster.

An antibody test study in Santa Clara County (imperfect, as the authors lay out) suggested that between 50-85 times as many cases of coronavirus reported, had occurred. Still a small percentage of the population, but which helps lower their guess at a mortality rate by an order of magnitude from what it appears to be (they guessed 0.12% -> 0.2%, or twenty to a hundred percent more deadly than the seasonal flu) 

Something about the participants of the study wasn't super representative of the population, and they tried to adjust for that. But I'm glad to see antibody tests starting, soon we'll get reliable data on this thing.

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

My opinion is neither experienced nor knowledgable.  And I didn't watch the video.  Just looking at the still shot let me know that she's off her rocker.

Yeah, people walk into law offices with some hugely incorrect ideas, too.

I said I was sorry. What more do you want? I thought I could sue Terry for emotional damages.

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

My one hospital I work at is now offering free antibody testing for all employees, ill head in for a blood draw sometime this week. I'm actually quite curious if I'll have some IgG as I think I probably had this in January. 

Dr. Fauci has warned that some antibody tests that are out there haven't been "validated and calibrated." I assume that you'll be getting a "good" test. He also said it's still uncertain what the presence of antibodies means from a practical standpoint. I wonder how the hospital plans to use the results.

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Dr. Fauci has warned that some antibody tests that are out there haven't been "validated and calibrated." I assume that you'll be getting a "good" test. He also said it's still uncertain what the presence of antibodies means from a practical standpoint. I wonder how the hospital plans to use the results.

I'm going in fully aware that this test many be only 60% accurate.... As for immunity going forward, just from a pure patho standpoint, if I test with a high "titer" in my blood, I'll have some confidence in dealing with patients in the hospital compared to a baseline of zero, but the research regarding immunity is still in the works. 

Do I understand this correctly: as far as coronaviruses that have been studied before this one, the presence of antibodies in a person has resulted in immunity? I seem to remember Dr. Fauci saying that "we have no reason to believe" those with antibodies won't be immune to future infection.

Of course, this novel one could be different- but just wanted to check these facts.

Edited by erickompositör72

12 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Correct me If I’m wrong ... no vaccine has ever been created for any form of Coronavirus.

If this is in fact true, who holds out hope that THIS particular form will have a vaccine?

According to Wikipedia, Dr. Fauci says that the CDC did develop a vaccine for SARS and that it is in the US national stockpile.