Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

After you see his play this next season, that question will be moot.

Maybe. We shall see. I truly hope your correct, really I do, but I'm more pragmatic on the situation. No reason to put the cart before the horse.

Do I believe we have a good one? Yea, I do. How good? Let's see before bestowing such a crown on him is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Maybe. We shall see. I truly hope your correct, really I do, but I'm more pragmatic on the situation. No reason to put the cart before the horse.

Do I believe we have a good one? Yea, I do. How good? Let's see before bestowing such a crown on him is all.

Not crowning him prematurely, and we both seem to agree that time will show who is right.

But, it would seem to be foolhardy to not plan for a very real possibility that Dahlin will be the Sabres 2nd 8 figure man & that it'll happen as soon as his ELC expires. 

Sliding this back to the discussion about bringing in FA's or trading for 2nd line help.  Overpaying for guys that won't pan out will effect the ability to keep from having to make Vegas style moves as soon as 2 years from now.  No more Okposo deals.  We're close to the point they'll matter.

We also could, for a good reason, be at the final season we're looking for the Sabres to make an Aho type add on July 1.  They finally might have enough horses & enough talent in the pipeline to start bringing reinforcements in from in-house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not crowning him prematurely, and we both seem to agree that time will show who is right.

But, it would seem to be foolhardy to not plan for a very real possibility that Dahlin will be the Sabres 2nd 8 figure man & that it'll happen as soon as his ELC expires. 

Sliding this back to the discussion about bringing in FA's or trading for 2nd line help.  Overpaying for guys that won't pan out will effect the ability to keep from having to make Vegas style moves as soon as 2 years from now.  No more Okposo deals.  We're close to the point they'll matter.

We also could, for a good reason, be at the final season we're looking for the Sabres to make an Aho type add on July 1.  They finally might have enough horses & enough talent in the pipeline to start bringing reinforcements in from in-house.

I concur with everything you've posted here. I too, believe we are in a position to get something done on a serious upgrade forward wise. As far as Dahlin goes, I don't see a future contract being a problem given Botterill's past acumen on that end. That's not to say I have total faith, but it does give me in any event, some solace on the situation. I'd just prefer, once again, to see what we have before tattooing his name on my...…………..oh so long hockey stick...………….{the wife will laugh her ass off, no reason for you to :P)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still firmly believe the trade that makes the most sense for Buffalo is a 1 for 1 trade, Ristolainen for Ehlers.

Concvince me I'm wrong...……………...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't agree, respectfully.

Everything is merit based, or should be, less we fall in to a contract that comes back to bite us in the ole buttocks.

Should it be? I don't think so. Players should be paid for what they will do over the life of the contract, not for what they did on their previous contract. One may inform the other to some degree, but it's not a simple merit system at all. A strict merit system gives you Okposo contracts. Some projection gives you MacKinnon contracts. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I still firmly believe the trade that makes the most sense for Buffalo is a 1 for 1 trade, Ristolainen for Ehlers.

Concvince me I'm wrong...……………...

You're not wrong, I'm just not sure where we're getting a 2C from if it's not Risto. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Should it be? I don't think so. Players should be paid for what they will do over the life of the contract, not for what they did on their previous contract. One may inform the other to some degree, but it's not a simple merit system at all. A strict merit system gives you Okposo contracts. Some projection gives you MacKinnon contracts. 

And some projection gives you Okposo contracts. Projection plays a roll, but In the end, the MacKinnon's are more era expectation based as opposed to a trade, which is chemistry based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

And some projection gives you Okposo contracts. Projection plays a roll, but In the end, the MacKinnon's are more era expectation based as opposed to a trade, which is chemistry based.

What? Projections on Okposo were baaaaaaaad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And so the leaks begin......Personally I hope we go more the trade route than ufa but I'll be interested to see if we have any rumblings beyond guys like Lazar and Gilmour (no not Doug).

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What? Projections on Okposo were baaaaaaaad. 

I'm not going to go over the semantics of the projection based scenario, the truth is, we don't know what Dahlin is going to cost, but 10 to 12 mil is definitely on the extreme high end given what true impact forwards are getting today, and we are only 2 seasons away from the next contract.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and, based on historical D man signings, not very far, if it all on that limb, and say 10 to 12 million is NOT going to happen, not even close.

But, I humbly digress, I hope to be proven wrong, hell, I pray so. But history is on my side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm not going to go over the semantics of the projection based scenario, the truth is, we don't know what Dahlin is going to cost, but 10 to 12 mil is definitely on the extreme high end given what true impact forwards are getting today, and we are only 2 seasons away from the next contract.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and, based on historical D man signings, not very far, if it all on that limb, and say 10 to 12 million is NOT going to happen, not even close.

But, I humbly digress, I hope to be proven wrong, hell, I pray so. But history is on my side.

History would only be on your side if Dahlin-caliber prospects came around often. They don't. He's in the McDavid and Crosby class, he just plays a different position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we aren't looking at a $10M+ contract for Dahlin in two seasons, it will be because he hasn't progressed as hyped.  If he is as hyped, we'll (not he, we) be asking for a max term deal at those kind of dollars.  He'll have the leverage.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

History would only be on your side if Dahlin-caliber prospects came around often. They don't. He's in the McDavid and Crosby class, he just plays a different position. 

That's a bold statement. Given both Crosby and McDavid were IMPACT players in their rookie seasons far beyond what Dahlin has shown.

I truly hope your correct. Really I do. But once again, history shows otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

That's a bold statement. Given both Crosby and McDavid were IMPACT players in their rookie seasons far beyond what Dahlin has shown.

I truly hope your correct. Really I do. But once again, history shows otherwise.

Dahlin had the second most points by an 18 year old defenseman, ever. I’m curious what more you’re looking for from a position that typically doesn’t impact the game until age 21-23.

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Ryan Lambert.  Yahoo Canada Sports:

Buffalo Sabres: Wow, they’re gonna trade Ristolainen! And only three years after almost everyone else figured out he’s not that good! Anyway, have fun in Vancouver.

Interesting take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EichSnipe said:

Dahlin had the second most points by an 18 year old defenseman, ever. I’m curious what more you’re looking for from a position that typically doesn’t impact the game until age 21-23.

 

For 10 to 12 million a season after an ELC, I'll be looking for a "Game Driver". Not just a D man that puts up points, but one that actually drives possession of the puck, both while his team has it, and taking it away.

Nothing against you, or True, or anyone personally, but a 10 to 12 million a season D man 2 years from now, at 21 years old, better be a complete 200' d man and control the play the moment the puck is even heading for his own end, not just at the blue line, but in the neutral zone. Putting up points doesn't win you games, we've seen this with D men before, Risto comes to mind. Dahlin is not a complete D man, to dispute that statement is to not live in reality. 10 to 12 million? No thank you, just my preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

We're getting Petersson?????

Might have to sweeten the pot a little for Elias, lol. Although I would take Horvat all day any day for Risto. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That should just about do it for all of the big-name contracts that will be given out. I am so glad that buffalo did not get involved in any of them and just hope that there is a good trade in the works.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

For 10 to 12 million a season after an ELC, I'll be looking for a "Game Driver". Not just a D man that puts up points, but one that actually drives possession of the puck, both while his team has it, and taking it away.

Nothing against you, or True, or anyone personally, but a 10 to 12 million a season D man 2 years from now, at 21 years old, better be a complete 200' d man and control the play the moment the puck is even heading for his own end, not just at the blue line, but in the neutral zone. Putting up points doesn't win you games, we've seen this with D men before, Risto comes to mind. Dahlin is not a complete D man, to dispute that statement is to not live in reality. 10 to 12 million? No thank you, just my preference.

In your opinion was Jack's contract merit based. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

 

Interesting that Offer Sheet in French is, "offre hostile."  I'd enjoy seeing the fireworks if the Habs offer sheeted someone.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...