Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Dahlin 10 to 12 mil?

Where on earth are you getting those numbers from?

Because honestly, in his rookie season, I'm seeing a D man 2nd contract at 6 to 8 million. He didn't win the Calder, he wasn't anywhere nears an impact that warrants those numbers, and while, yes, he has HUGE upside potential, until he truly shows it, IF he ever does, then we can talk those numbers, but as of right now, today, 1st pick over all or not, he is NOT worth 10 to 12 million.

His next contract is not solely based off his Rookie Year. 

His metrics and his age suggest a rapid improvement over the remaining two seasons of his ELC. 

The recent trend of elite players coming off ELCs is to ask for 5 Year Deals, Matthews and Marner for example. 

That number will most likely buy you an additional 3 years of his UFA Status. 

And did you think Jack Eichel was worth 10 Million out of his ELC?  I sure as hell did. 

• Like (+1) 2

I am a bit concerned about the Risto situation because it feels similar to the pre-trade situation with O'Reilly.  Player expresses frustration with team situation and losing, not clear if player wants to continue with Sabres, lots of buzz that player is being heavily shopped and the sense of some pressure in terms of timing to make trade (in the case of Risto, this may be because of the start of free agency and the team wanting to know what the needs are post-trade).  This seems to be a recipe for another potential disaster.  

With a new coach, wouldn't it make more sense to see if Risto can be a part of the needed improvement in the team's overall performance?  If it still is not working, Risto always can be traded at a later time, including before the trade deadline this upcoming season.

Edited by jahnyc

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Dahlin 10 to 12 mil?

Where on earth are you getting those numbers from?

Because honestly, in his rookie season, I'm seeing a D man 2nd contract at 6 to 8 million. He didn't win the Calder, he wasn't anywhere nears an impact that warrants those numbers, and while, yes, he has HUGE upside potential, until he truly shows it, IF he ever does, then we can talk those numbers, but as of right now, today, 1st pick over all or not, he is NOT worth 10 to 12 million.

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking people are way overestimating Dahlin’s second contract. $10-12m would be by far the biggest second contract ever for a defenseman. 

Dahlin was significantly better as a rookie than Aaron Ekblad, who signed for $7.5M on his second contract that was good for 10.27% of the cap at the time. 10.27% of the cap 2 years from now will probably be around $8.75M. Unless Dahlin doesn't improve, I think $10M+ is very possible, perhaps even likely. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Dahlin was significantly better as a rookie than Aaron Ekblad, who signed for $7.5M on his second contract that was good for 10.27% of the cap at the time. 10.27% of the cap 2 years from now will probably be around $8.75M. Unless Dahlin doesn't improve, I think $10M+ is very possible, perhaps even likely. 

Maybe, but WHAT if he doesn't?

My point being, 10 - 12 mil is way premature.

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking people are way overestimating Dahlin’s second contract. $10-12m would be by far the biggest second contract ever for a defenseman. 

And McDavid who also has been described as a generational talent signed the biggest contract off an ELC at 12.5 as a forward and is considered underpaid. 

The next jump in the salary cap is expected to come for the 2021-22 Season as the New U.S. Television Rights Deal will be in place. 

And that happens to coincide with the start of Dahlin’s Second Deal. 

He’s going to get paid 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

His next contract is not solely based off his Rookie Year. 

His metrics and his age suggest a rapid improvement over the remaining two seasons of his ELC. 

The recent trend of elite players coming off ELCs is to ask for 5 Year Deals, Matthews and Marner for example. 

That number will most likely buy you an additional 3 years of his UFA Status. 

And did you think Jack Eichel was worth 10 Million out of his ELC?  I sure as hell did. 

I understand your thought process here, but the original post projected 10 to 12 million. This isn't Eichel's case where 3 years have passed and we know what we have.

Give me some credit for looking at the OP and questioning it based on some common sense now. I didn't see 10 to 12 million in the rookie season, he originally posted that was his projection, I heavily questioned that, and, in all honesty, rightfully so. Let us not get ahead of ourselves here, to date, there is 0, yes 0, indication Dahlin will achieve that status. That was based on "projecting based on draft position", and that, is being honest.

24 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The latest version, apparently: Ristolainen, McCabe, Nylander for Hoffman, Huberdeau, Pysyk 

Yes, perhaps the tweet of someone living in their parent's basement for all I know. Risto supposedly "liked" the tweet.

I'm mainly here to share rumors and talk about how cool bow ties are . . . digressions on time and metaphysics are also marginally acceptable.

That return is unlikely. You take it and run if actual, imo. 

Here is a picture of his like. It’s now deleted. 

That account is followed by Sabres PR so it’s  legit 

D5F8D686-006D-47E1-A0DB-C104C2057DD3.png

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd hop on that all day. Yet LiamCanadian21 appears to be a Sabres fan so I don't think I'd call this close to legit. 

Risto’s Twitter Account is what I was referring to as legit. 

So I would say that’s pretty legit 

Edited by Brawndo

Just now, The Jokeman said:

One could hope as hate losing Risto but to get two 30 potential goal scorers is worth it. Both under 30 too. 

Damn straight, FWIW Chad DeDominicis did tweet that there has been discussion with Florida regarding both Risto and McCabe

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Damn straight, FWIW Chad DeDominicis did tweet that there has been discussion with Florida regarding both Risto and McCabe

I posted in earlier in the thread that I'd even be for trading for Zucker and sign someone like Dzingel as at least give us possibly more long term success. 

Edited by The Jokeman

30 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Maybe, but WHAT if he doesn't?

My point being, 10 - 12 mil is way premature.

Time will tell, but based on his pedigree and how he played last season, am fully expecting him to get an 8 year deal for at least as much as Skinner got and up to $1MM more than Eichel's deal.  So my guess would be $9-$11MM, but $10-12MM isn't that far off.

And, wouldn't be surprised if he gets an extension as soon as the new CBA is signed. Just like Eichel got inked after year 2, they'll work something out early.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Myers was never touted as a generational talent.  (Nor was he one. ? )

This kid will get upped like Eichel did.

My point being let's not anoint Dahlin the next great one after one season, I agree he played great but so did Myers yet he ultimately didn't live up to the expectations after his first great (two) season(s). 

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Time will tell, but based on his pedigree and how he played last season, am fully expecting him to get an 8 year deal for at least as much as Skinner got and up to $1MM more than Eichel's deal.  So my guess would be $9-$11MM, but $10-12MM isn't that far off.

And, wouldn't be surprised if he gets an extension as soon as the new CBA is signed. Just like Eichel got inked after year 2, they'll work something out early.

While I understand completely, my point on 10 to 12 mil being premature is, in my most humbled opinion mind you, premature. We have 2 more seasons to see where Dahlin is projecting, it's much to early, in once again, my most humble opinion, before we pencil in 10 to 12 million. Once again, respectfully.

My point being, we can cross that bridge, and that's a rather huge bridge with those numbers given existing rookie season performance, when we get to it. No reason to base it on his draft position, let's take the remaining 2 seasons and see what we actually have.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

While I understand completely, my point on 10 to 12 mil being premature is, in my most humbled opinion mind you, premature. We have 2 more seasons to see where Dahlin is projecting, it's much to early, in once again, my most humble opinion, before we pencil in 10 to 12 million. Once again, respectfully.

My point being, we can cross that bridge, and that's a rather huge bridge with those numbers given existing rookie season performance, when we get to it. No reason to base it on his draft position, let's take the remaining 2 seasons and see what we actually have.

Really will be surprised if they wait 2 more years to re-up the kid.  He's going to earn, & get, the Eichel treatment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.