Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, Tondas said:

From Ryan Lambert.  Yahoo Canada Sports:

Buffalo Sabres: Wow, they’re gonna trade Ristolainen! And only three years after almost everyone else figured out he’s not that good! Anyway, have fun in Vancouver.

Interesting take.

I regularly confess to being not among the learned.  That said, I’m spreading my wings and welcoming critique.

Vancouver isn’t in cap trouble, Pettersson’s not going anywhere, and Horvat’s on a nice contract for four more seasons.  Other than for a 2C, why move Risto unless you stumble into some other positional fleecing?  How are these two teams trading parners?

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

I regularly confess to being not among the learned.  That said, I’m spreading my wings and welcoming critique.

Vancouver isn’t in cap trouble, Pettersson’s not going anywhere, and Horvat’s on a nice contract for four more seasons.  Other than for a 2C, why move Risto unless you stumble into some other positional fleecing?  How are these two teams trading parners?

Good point. 

Only thing I can think of is that if Benning is dumb enough to pay Tyler Myers 7 mil for 7 years, he's dumb enough to trade Horvat for Risto.  Maybe the Yahoo Sports guy was taking a shot at Benning?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Good point. 

Only thing I can think of is that if Benning is dumb enough to pay Tyler Myers 7 mil for 7 years, he's dumb enough to trade Horvat for Risto.  Maybe the Yahoo Sports guy was taking a shot at Benning?

I think this is it 

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Here is a picture of his like. It’s now deleted. 

That account is followed by Sabres PR so it’s  legit 

D5F8D686-006D-47E1-A0DB-C104C2057DD3.png

This combined with the $13M number floated for Panarin and $10M for Bob, is just crazy town.  Is Florida going to sign Those two for a combined $23M (give or take), then make above trade, creating the needed cap space in the process?

Looks like it would be a good trade for Buffalo.  Even if I do have some questions about Hoffman.

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Here is a picture of his like. It’s now deleted. 

That account is followed by Sabres PR so it’s  legit 

D5F8D686-006D-47E1-A0DB-C104C2057DD3.png

With our current D roster...you do this trade all day.  There's no way this is real.

11 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

We're getting Petersson?????

No, the Sabres are trading Risto for the rights to retire the Sedin sweaters.  Word is that Pegula wanted to give the fans something to cheer about this season.

12 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I love the rumors of threats of offer sheets. Empty threats. 

giphy.gif

So much of it is just gamesmanship.  I wouldn't be surprised if much of it comes from the players/agents just.  Hell, most of the chatter out there is accomplishing the goal of GMs knowing what everyone is doing without them talking to each other and arranging it.

• Haha (+1) 1

I saw an interesting framing of the offer sheet thing the other day that makes GM aversion to using them even dumber.

Offer sheets aren't tools for GMs so much as they are tools for RFAs in negotiating their next contracts. Since RFAs don't have much else in the line of leverage, it's fair for RFAs to reach out to teams that might want them and say "hey, offer sheet me." And other GMs should be more than happy to do so.

GMs should be using offer sheets ALL THE TIME because RFAs should be requesting it ALL THE TIME.

11 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

For 10 to 12 million a season after an ELC, I'll be looking for a "Game Driver". Not just a D man that puts up points, but one that actually drives possession of the puck, both while his team has it, and taking it away.

Nothing against you, or True, or anyone personally, but a 10 to 12 million a season D man 2 years from now, at 21 years old, better be a complete 200' d man and control the play the moment the puck is even heading for his own end, not just at the blue line, but in the neutral zone. Putting up points doesn't win you games, we've seen this with D men before, Risto comes to mind. Dahlin is not a complete D man, to dispute that statement is to not live in reality. 10 to 12 million? No thank you, just my preference.

These are the Rookie Seasons In RAPM for Rasmus Dahlin, Victor Hedman, and Erik Karlsson, two of which are considered elite defenseman. 

One  has demonstrated the ability of driving play at both ends of the ice as a rookie. 

0671E756-FCCC-4DF9-B777-D429BC2CBC12.jpeg

A4287CDA-42E7-442A-81B9-44D7E89A5C91.jpeg

181E752B-DD6D-4B8B-BDDF-06024AB401CE.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I saw an interesting framing of the offer sheet thing the other day that makes GM aversion to using them even dumber.

Offer sheets aren't tools for GMs so much as they are tools for RFAs in negotiating their next contracts. Since RFAs don't have much else in the line of leverage, it's fair for RFAs to reach out to teams that might want them and say "hey, offer sheet me." And other GMs should be more than happy to do so.

GMs should be using offer sheets ALL THE TIME because RFAs should be requesting it ALL THE TIME.

I agree, but handing them out has a risk.  You agree to offer sheet a player and then there is no match the team gets saddled with that contract and loses those draft picks.  So, to a certain degree a player would only ask for a reasonable offer sheet.

But, given that there have only ever been a few offer sheets... it's clear there is something goofy about them.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

I agree, but handing them out has a risk.  You agree to offer sheet a player and then there is no match the team gets saddled with that contract and loses those draft picks.  So, to a certain degree a player would only ask for a reasonable offer sheet.

But, given that there have only ever been a few offer sheets... it's clear there is something goofy about them.

It's possible that players just aren't using them in their negotiations. I think if it were more publicly known that "x player has requested offer sheets from x teams" then there'd be less stigma around their usage. But it's very obvious that offer sheets are being treated as a thing that GMs do to other GMs, the player left faultless in the process.

49 minutes ago, LTS said:

46 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's possible that players just aren't using them in their negotiations. I think if it were more publicly known that "x player has requested offer sheets from x teams" then there'd be less stigma around their usage. But it's very obvious that offer sheets are being treated as a thing that GMs do to other GMs, the player left faultless in the process.

It happens so infrequently so it's hard to imagine but what would keep a team from doing a sign and trade to someone else?? As an example 4 1st rounders from a team that historically is in the playoffs would carry much less weigth than from a team who never makes the playoffs (without mentioning any names)

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The last one offered, I believe, was 6 years ago. The last one accepted was 12 years ago

There is no way of knowing when one was offered and turned down because no one is really going to confirm it. Only three recent I remember where Shea Weber and ROR and of course Vanek and all were matched.

Of course most famous was Shanahan/ Scott Stevens deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.