GDT: Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 10-3-2019, 7pm EDT

WildCard

• SDS unpinned this topic

Thinking about last nights game.  They did not win because one or two individuals stood out, they did not win despite periods of bad play, they did not win because the Penguins had bad breaks or we had fortunate one.   They won because the outplayed their opponent for a very large majority of the game.  They looked like they were in position and knew what to do.  Even last year during the streak I don’t think they ever played this complete of a game.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

Thinking about last nights game.  They did not win because one or two individuals stood out, they did not win despite periods of bad play, they did not win because the Penguins had bad breaks or we had fortunate one.   They won because the outplayed their opponent for a very large majority of the game.  They looked like they were in position and knew what to do.  Even last year during the streak I don’t think they ever played this complete of a game.  

Good take(s) here. That last one especially.

Now, we need a 10-game sample size from which we can draw similar hope. I'm not saying the team needs to go 7-3, etc. during that stretch. I just want to see substantially similar play from them, regardless of outcome (puck luck, PDO* being what they are).

* PDO is the combined sum of a team's (or a player's while on ice) shooting percentage and save percentage. So, a PDO of 100.00 is pretty ... normal (?), since that could be a SH% of, say, 9% and a SV% of, say, 91%.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

If anything, the breaks went against us.  It could have easily been 5- or 6-1.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

(puck luck, PDO* being what they are).

Ha!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not Housley sucked... but. 

Housley was too cerebral, too methodical, and too rigid.  He came in knowing how he wanted the team to play and insisted they play that way.  RFK had a general idea that he wanted to play an uptempo game, then adapted his idea to the roster.

• Thanks (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Housley was too cerebral, too methodical, and too rigid.  He came in knowing how he wanted the team to play and insisted they play that way.  RFK had a general idea that he wanted to play an uptempo game, then adapted his idea to the roster.

I don't know what Housley was like in the locker room or at practice, but from interviews, "cerebral" is not the term I'd use to describe him personally. He never struck me as that bright.

Now, he may have stolen someone's playbook and stuck by it, and that playbook may be considered a "cerebral" system, but...

Rigid seems appropriate, though.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Good win, watched first 2 periods til nausea got best of me.., finally settling down... Go Sabres

Good thing you aren't a Pigeons fan.  That nausea would've been full blown projectile vomiting by that time.  ?

(PS Glad you made it through another round of treatment.  Keep up the good fight.)

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

I could handle that, but right now, we have Perreault imitating Elvis after home wins, and that is infinitely better.

I'm still waiting for Low Bridge, Everybody Down.

EDIT:  I suppose the Perreault thing happens about five minutes after the game ends.  Having a little Warren Zevon right at the horn would work for me.

They haven't had Gilbert sing for about 2 years now.  They need to bring THAT back.  (Cheesy but fun.)

Am fine with the Devin after the final horn.  But would then need to also add "Linus & Lucy" when announcing Ullmark as the starter. ?

(Having a clip of the Cheers gang chanting "Sammm-my! Sammm-my! Sammm-my!" after Reinhart scores would work as well.)

37 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I don't know what Housley was like in the locker room or at practice, but from interviews, "cerebral" is not the term I'd use to describe him personally. He never struck me as that bright.

Now, he may have stolen someone's playbook and stuck by it, and that playbook may be considered a "cerebral" system, but...

Agreed. In point of fact, Housley strikes me as ... sorta the opposite of cerebral. In further point of fact, I think RaKru might be quite cerebral. I think he really thinks things through, intensely.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Also, it's noted that I watched the game steaming on my phone at this location, bundled up under the milky way. Made it much more special. 

Also I was away when the bills beach the Bengals on the beach in Jamaica. 

So, in conclusion, I shouldn't really ever come home again ??

20191003_141349.jpg

Hope you said 'hi' to my in laws. ?

7 hours ago, #freejame said:

But that’s just it, neutral zone disruption and strong forechecking is offensive hockey. Buffalo got the puck deep and created confusion and frustration. When Pittsburgh was able to leave the zone, they were met by more Sabres. Buffalo dominated offensively, I don’t see how that means they played boring defense first. Compare last night to a trap team. That’s boring, defensive hockey   

It's just wording and it doesn't matter, but I disagree. Defensive hockey can also involve creating confusion and forechecking - which we did. It's disrupting their game. Offensive hockey is puck possession, shots on goal and scoring chances. We had some chances, some breakaways, but we did not win that game with offensive pressure.

Again, the key, is to remember Vegas season 1. We did exactly what they did in their beginning. 

48 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Yeah. Housley never came/ comes across as cerebral.  Quite certain that he was trying to get them to do what Krueger had them doing, at least on the breakouts and probably D - zone coverage; though the forecheck last year seemed more passive and the back check through the neutral zone was definitely much more passive.

Which implies Housley knew what he needed to have them do offensively, but didn't know how to get those things engrained into their heads.

Really wishing I'd've caught a training camp practice as would really like to have watched the drills Krueger ran and compare them to what was run in the past.

Just now, Taro T said:

Yeah. Housley never came/ comes across as cerebral.  Quite certain that he was trying to get them to do what Krueger had them doing, at least on the breakouts and probably D - zone coverage; though the forecheck last year seemed more passive and the back check through the neutral zone was definitely much more passive.

Which implies Housley knew what he needed to have them do offensively, but didn't know how to get those things engrained into their heads.

Really wishing I'd've caught a training camp practice as would really like to have watched the drills Krueger ran and compare them to what was run in the past.

Housley just doesn't have a strong enough personality to be a head coach.   RK does.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, pi2000 said:

Housley just doesn't have a strong enough personality to be a head coach.   RK does.

Quite possible.

Good to see, at least for at minimum 1 game, the team walked the Krueger talk. And those hyping RK deserve, at least today, to say they told us so.  Let's hope that's still the case in a few months.

Good to be a Sabres fan today.  Been 10-1/2 months since we could all agree on that.

(Eh, draft day was pretty good too. 1st time in season we could agree to that in a long time.)

46 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's just wording and it doesn't matter, but I disagree. Defensive hockey can also involve creating confusion and forechecking - which we did. It's disrupting their game. Offensive hockey is puck possession, shots on goal and scoring chances. We had some chances, some breakaways, but we did not win that game with offensive pressure.

Again, the key, is to remember Vegas season 1. We did exactly what they did in their beginning. 

We must have watched different games.  There was a large difference in shot totals and a large difference in dangerous chances as well, all in Buffalo’s favor.  I didn’t go looking for possession data by I got the sense we had a sizeable advantage there too.  

That was a really good offensive performance last night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Agreed. In point of fact, Housley strikes me as ... sorta the opposite of cerebral. In further point of fact, I think RaKru might be quite cerebral. I think he really thinks things through, intensely.

He's a word man, too. "We began with a fury." Awesome.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1