Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, Reino23 said:

If the Sabres are doing really well then it won't really matter, but trading Scandella if we're trying to join the playoff race is underwhelming. He won't fetch much more then a 3rd round draft pick.

The other thing with trading Scandella is, it's not like his trade value is actually going to change. What we get now isn't going to be any better than what we'd get at the trade deadline if we fall out of the playoff race. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From LeBrun in The Athletic 

Marco Scandella, Buffalo Sabres

If Rasmus Ristolainen ends up staying, and it sounds like he’s happy right now, then something has to eventually give on a Sabres blue line that’s going to be bubbling with bodies once everyone is healthy. Not that there’s any hurry to decide anything. Especially not with a trip overseas coming next month. But at some point this season I suspect the Sabres could deal a blueliner given those numbers. Scandella is a pending UFA on July 1 and currently carries a cap hit of $4 million. It’s not out of the question depending on league-wide interest that he’s the odd man out later in the season. He’s a quality veteran teams normally look to add closer to the deadline.

The bolded gets a massive eye-roll. These analysts predict a move continually and just pick a new artificial barrier/deadline when it doesn't happen to hedge their bet. First we were waiting for the draft to make the move, then UFA, then for the RFAs to be signed, then for training camp, then game 1, then the end of October, etc etc etc. 

Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't, but LeBrun and others have zero clue. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The bolded gets a massive eye-roll. These analysts predict a move continually and just pick a new artificial barrier/deadline when it doesn't happen to hedge their bet. First we were waiting for the draft to make the move, then UFA, then for the RFAs to be signed, then for training camp, then game 1, then the end of October, etc etc etc. 

Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't, but LeBrun and others have zero clue. 

I've never learned a thing about hockey from hockey analysts, I just enjoy some of their gossip 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've never learned a thing about hockey from hockey analysts, I just enjoy some of their gossip 

Gossip is a good word for it actually. Only if we hold them to this very low, basically useless beyond entertainment standard do they achieve a passing score. 

Edited by Thorny

Okay. It seems we've been talking trades so much that we're now convinced we have to make a trade. We've lost two games, one in overtime. Shouldn't we give this some time? Eleven points out of a possible fourteen? Sounds okay so far. If we collapse, fine let's talk about changes but it's going pretty good so far.

17 minutes ago, Radar said:

Okay. It seems we've been talking trades so much that we're now convinced we have to make a trade. We've lost two games, one in overtime. Shouldn't we give this some time? Eleven points out of a possible fourteen? Sounds okay so far. If we collapse, fine let's talk about changes but it's going pretty good so far.

I don't see any harm in discussing trying to better the team. And judging by line 3's lack of production combined with Sobotka on line 2's wing, well, discussions to improve the club are warranted imo.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't see any harm in discussing trying to better the team. And judging by line 3's lack of production combined with Sobotka on line 2's wing, well, discussions to improve the club are warranted imo.

It's one of the most fun topics out there! And any team can use improvement in the cap era. 

The fun thing about the Sabres is that, while they might be good enough to get there on their own right now (too early to tell but obviously promising signs), one single move that meshes just right could knock us off of a precipice and firmly into "playoff team" status.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's one of the most fun topics out there! And any team can use improvement in the cap era. 

The fun thing about the Sabres is that, while they might be good enough to get there on their own right now (too early to tell but obviously promising signs), one single move that meshes just right could knock us off of a precipice and firmly into "playoff team" status.

Wasn't that sort of talk irrational exuberance just 2 weeks ago? ?

This popped up in my news feed yesterday.  Looks like Vegas is a possible partner for a D trade, at least according to this site.  Makes some sense and they focus on Risto or McCabe.  Would be strange since they sent us Miller for a draft pick, but I'd be interested in seeing what they would offer.

https://vegashockeyknight.com/2019/10/16/vegas-golden-knights-buffalo-sabres-are-the-ideal-trading-partners/

29 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

This popped up in my news feed yesterday.  Looks like Vegas is a possible partner for a D trade, at least according to this site.  Makes some sense and they focus on Risto or McCabe.  Would be strange since they sent us Miller for a draft pick, but I'd be interested in seeing what they would offer.

https://vegashockeyknight.com/2019/10/16/vegas-golden-knights-buffalo-sabres-are-the-ideal-trading-partners/

They have Cody Eakin coming back for Risto or McCabe. No thanks. Eakin certainly isn’t a 2C and I think it makes more sense to keep Mitts in at 3C. 

30 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Listening to 31 thoughts.... They reckon Hall wants out of NJ. What's the chances we could get him? (Prob slim or none). Could see Hall with Sheary and CM, or even Skinner and Mojo. 

I'd say slim to none. His salary, our needs, and his wants don't really mesh together. 

32 minutes ago, kas23 said:

They have Cody Eakin coming back for Risto or McCabe. No thanks. Eakin certainly isn’t a 2C and I think it makes more sense to keep Mitts in at 3C. 

Agreed. If Vegas does need D, I'd be interested in that the actual return may be, not what these homers think.

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

They would need to clear cap in a trade or at a minimum break even. I think that makes it hard to view them as a good partner. 

This team is 6-1-1. Why are we trying to vote anyone off the island right now.  MoJo is doing a fine job at 2C.  Our D group has been solid.  The goalies have been solid and the Mitts line showed some life with Sheary back.  

Montour is weeks away from returning.  Jbot isn't doing anything until he has to. He is going to wait and see how healthy we remain and how the kids are doing in Roch before making any big moves.

Also Risto is still eating big minutes.  He has earned RK's trust.  If this is the case, why are we still trying to move the guy?  I'd much rather send Scandy packing, but he and Joker seem to be working well together so I'm not all that interested in moving him either.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This team is 6-1-1. Why are we trying to vote anyone off the island right now.  MoJo is doing a fine job at 2C.  Our D group has been solid.  The goalies have been solid and the Mitts line showed some life with Sheary back.  

Montour is weeks away from returning.  Jbot is doing anything until he has to. He is going to wait and see how healthy we remain and how the kids are doing in Roch before making any big moves.

Also Risto is still eating big minutes.  He has earned RK's trust.  If this is the case, why are we still trying to move the guy?  I'd much rather send Scandy packing, but he and Joker seem to be working well together so I'm not all that interested in moving him either.

You should always be invested in improving your team. We aren't voting anyone off the island, we are simply discussing possible partners that might exist. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You should always be invested in improving your team. We aren't voting anyone off the island, we are simply discussing possible partners that might exist. 

Except we are cap strapped and have guys like Pilut and Thompson who are likely ready to contribute if recalled.  

I agree that Jbot should listen to calls, but winning chemistry is hard to find and if these guys have finally found it, I really don't want him to mess with the room.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.