Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Just now, darksabre said:

I like erod but Derrico is right

Eh you go from a bad winger to a solid winger on a big line for you that's already lacking a solid center. That's a big/needed improvement, even if Erod shouldn't be a 2nd line winger on most teams

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Eh you go from a bad winger to a solid winger on a big line for you that's already lacking a solid center. That's a big/needed improvement, even if Erod shouldn't be a 2nd line winger on most teams

Erod isn't really "solid". He's just less bad.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I would say ERod has his moments.  Vlad has his moments as well, but those are usually in the negative.  ERod's moments swing more toward the positive.  Vlad can hit, and actually does from time to time.  ERod doesn't hit.  ERod attempts to go to the net. Vlad, well that's not really on the menu.

16 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think solid is the best way to describe him honestly. He's not an offensive machine point wise, but he puts his line and himself in good positions to succeed, both offensively and defensively 

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think solid is the best way to describe him honestly. He's not an offensive machine point wise, but he puts his line and himself in good positions to succeed, both offensively and defensively 

I think you are overvaluing erod.  Less bad is the right description.  I’m still not convinced he isnt an AAAA level player.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

What about Risto, Pilut and Sobotka (eating at much salary allowed) for Ehlers and....some forward from wpg on a small contract? Would people jump at that? This is purely theory and not based on a my rumor. Wpg needs more than 1 d and I think that could help both teams

I would need more from the Jets, the Sabres would be giving them a solid second pairing. Risto and Pilut were very good together last year, as Risto had his best metrics with Pilut. 

Perrault would be the most likely player Chevy would want to add and there is not a space for him on the 4th line. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

It's not so much as Erod is incredible as Sobotka is...Sobotka 

This is where i stand as well. I do like ERod, but i'm not going to say the guy is a game changer for us or any hockey club, but i would prefer him over Sobotka, Larsson or Okposo. Granted, Larsson and KO have played well so far this season, but i'm sure neither of those will sustain that type of play.

2 minutes ago, Reino23 said:

This is where i stand as well. I do like ERod, but i'm not going to say the guy is a game changer for us or any hockey club, but i would prefer him over Sobotka, Larsson or Okposo. Granted, Larsson and KO have played well so far this season, but i'm sure neither of those will sustain that type of play.

I'm struggling so hard to remember who you are/what you're old username was ? 

Rodrigues is better than you guys remember. There's a reason that, the second he was given playing time, he was never scratched again and a staple in the PK (and literally the only reason we ever generated any SHGs)

His impact on any measurable in either zone is above average for NHLers, and it's because he's a smart player that knows where and when to go (I gave a brief example of this in my video project over the summer). Vlad spent last year as literally a bottom 3 player in the league in one zone, and below average in the other. 

There's a difference, and it's as meaningful as any realistic upgrade you can make to a roster, and is worth doing.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

One could certainly make an argument over the legitimacy of Risto's toughness.  Does he hit people? Sure. Is anyone scared to play against him. Not even a little. I'll bet most skill guys lick their chops seeing him climb over the boards. 

You can give me your little skeptical face @Derrico but this is what tough looks like.

Risto won't ever get that respect because he does all that after the whistle Brad Marchand crap that makes me want to stab people. 

I think ERod is quite a bit better than Sobotka.  

He is quicker and a better passer than Sobotka.  He also is a smart decision maker, defensively responsible, and always gives 100%.

Of course he has downsides.  His size limits him in puck battles and his shot isn’t very good.  I think he is a solid 3rd liner.  

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Rodrigues is better than you guys remember. There's a reason that, the second he was given playing time, he was never scratched again and a staple in the PK (and literally the only reason we ever generated any SHGs)

Yes the reason is we have nobody better.  Again my point is not to debate whether Erod should start over sobotka (he should) but we need to do better than erod on our second line.  Usually that spot isn’t reserved for your penalty killers.  That’s why he’s a fine third or fourth liner but we have to do better in our top 6.  Absolutely have too.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Unless Ralph has caught something, and he's now a worse hockey player. But if Evan is the Evan of last year, he's absolutely a top 12 (and I'd easily argue top 10) skater in this forward stable. And I only need a little more SS consensus that he's nothing special to spend some time getting some video to prove it

I love your research and analysis but your saying he’s not a top 6 forward.  I’m saying he’s not a top 6 forward.  Nothing to debate here.

I almost didn’t even comment earlier as I was worried I would get straw man responses (not directed at you at all).  The debate shouldn’t be if erod plays over sobotka, it should be how we need to find a better forward on the second line because erod ain’t that (nor is sobotka).

Edited by Derrico

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

I love your research and analysis but your saying he’s not a top 6 forward.  I’m saying he’s not a top 6 forward.  Nothing to debate here.

I almost didn’t even comment earlier as I was worried I would get straw man responses (not directed at you at all).  The debate shouldn’t be if erod plays over sobotka, it should be how we need to find a better forward on the second line because erod ain’t that (not is sobotka).

To be blunt, I think this entire debate is missing the forest through the trees. The concern is (or should be) whether playing Sobotka over Rodrigues is just an isolated quirk, or if it represents a fundamental problem with talent analysis on the team. Almost every coach inexplicably falls in love with a bad vet. I have complained about the choice, and I will continue to do so, as it will cost us a point here or there. But it's not the end of the world...if it's isolated. But if the choice represents something broader about player valuation, then we've got some problems. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

To be blunt, I think this entire debate is missing the forest through the trees. The concern is (or should be) whether playing Sobotka over Rodrigues is just an isolated quirk, or if it represents a fundamental problem with talent analysis on the team. Almost every coach inexplicably falls in love with a bad vet. I have complained about the choice, and I will continue to do so, as it will cost us a point here or there. But it's not the end of the world...if it's isolated. But if the choice represents something broader about player valuation, then we've got some problems. 

We have five really good forwards.  I just keep thinking how good that second line can be with another good winger.  We have to find a way to make that happen because neither sobotka or Erod will get that done.  I’m not going to blame Krueger by playing one scrub instead of another.  I’m going to blame Jbott for not bringing in more forward talent.  Hence why I’m bringing this up in trade thread.  One move could correct this problem.  

12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

the office crying GIF

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.