Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except we are cap strapped and have guys like Pilut and Thompson who are likely ready to contribute if recalled.  

I agree that Jbot should listen to calls, but winning chemistry is hard to find and if these guys have finally found it, I really don't want him to mess with the room.

I wouldn't take on cap in a trade. 

Chemistry is short hand for playing well. You ever notice how the good teams always have chemistry no matter who they slot into their lineups? It is because they play well. If Krueger has a good structure in place than moving out, FOR EXAMPLE ONLY, Risto and slotting in Montour should have almost no negative impacts. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't take on cap in a trade. 

Chemistry is short hand for playing well. You ever notice how the good teams always have chemistry no matter who they slot into their lineups? It is because they play well. If Krueger has a good structure in place than moving out, FOR EXAMPLE ONLY, Risto and slotting in Montour should have almost no negative impacts. 

We literally can't take on cap in a trade (unless and until Bogo  has a fork stuck in him and hits LTIR for the rest of the season)

Scandella, for example, gets nothing for now in return.  If a top 6 C or forward in general is the desired return, it's Risto (or Montour I guess, but I'd rather not) + and the cap has to match.  

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

Listening to 31 thoughts.... They reckon Hall wants out of NJ. What's the chances we could get him? (Prob slim or none). Could see Hall with Sheary and CM, or even Skinner and Mojo. 

Darcy didn’t do Hall for Risto.

How much do we add, remembering Hall is a rental.

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

According to LeBrun Risto is happy with Ralph and is off the market.

Yeah, I’m quite sure that’s not what he said.  He said he was happy and felt that Ralph may be the best coach he’s ever had.  

Happy players get traded all the time though.

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, I’m quite sure that’s not what he said.  He said he was happy and felt that Ralph may be the best coach he’s ever had.  

Happy players get traded all the time though.

Curt go find the article. LeBrun said he’s off the market . I never said that Risto said he’s off the market.

53 minutes ago, ... said:

I heard the reports of Risto being happy, but not off the market. When did this come out?

Just read it this morning but apparently LeBrun put it out last night. LeBrun thinks they may move someone else once Montour and Bogo return.

Edited by bunomatic

28 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Curt go find the article. LeBrun said he’s off the market . I never said that Risto said he’s off the market.

Just read it this morning but apparently LeBrun put it out last night. LeBrun thinks they may move someone else once Montour and Bogo return.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.  I was referencing only what LeBrun said about Risto, not anything Risto said about himself.

Its an Athletic article, so I can’t read.  I had seen some tweet by LeBrun but didn’t know there was an article until just now.

Edited by Curt
Put the wrong letters in the right places.

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.  I was referencing only what LeBrun said about Risto, not anything Risto said about himself.

Its an Athletic article, so I can’t read.  I had seen some tweet by LeBrun but didn’t know there was an article until just now.

Lebrun only said he thinks Scandella is the odd man out of Ristolainen ends up staying, then quoting Vogls article which was a bunch of quotes of Risto and Okposo saying they’re happy. 

Not Lebrun saying he heard Risto is off the market. 

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah i guess he is just one of the talking heads so anythings possible when it comes to trades. I suppose until JBott says Risto is off the table potentially everyone is in play except maybe Dahlin. 

10 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I would hope so.

Any chance you asked if they have a plan cap wise when Montour comes back?

I don’t think anything changes cap wise.  Montour is already counting against the cap.  The cap will be fine unless they make a trade that adds salary.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/18/2019 at 8:39 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

This team is 6-1-1. Why are we trying to vote anyone off the island right now.  MoJo is doing a fine job at 2C.  Our D group has been solid.  The goalies have been solid and the Mitts line showed some life with Sheary back.  

Montour is weeks away from returning.  Jbot isn't doing anything until he has to. He is going to wait and see how healthy we remain and how the kids are doing in Roch before making any big moves.

Also Risto is still eating big minutes.  He has earned RK's trust.  If this is the case, why are we still trying to move the guy?  I'd much rather send Scandy packing, but he and Joker seem to be working well together so I'm not all that interested in moving him either.

There's also the scenario that they are increasing his value with the idea of still potentially trading him if the right offer comes along. The key will be to move him before his play starts to tail off further, IF, IF, (if!) it continues to move in a downwards trajectory, in order to secure the biggest return. Friedman mentioned recently the Sabres nearly acquired Ehlers over the summer. I'd assume Botterill still pulls the trigger quickly if such an offer becomes available. 

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t think anything changes cap wise.  Montour is already counting against the cap.  The cap will be fine unless they make a trade that adds salary.

The only return with cap implications would be Hunwick. We already know that’s not happening. The only other “return” that hits the cap is a recall from the AHL. 

More of the same from Friedman's 31 thoughts

8. With Buffalo tight to the ceiling and Ristolainen seeming very happy, the talk has turned to Marco Scandella. He’s in the final season of his contract, playing 17:51 per night. Cap hit is $4 million.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-pressure-mounting-toronto-maple-leafs/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.