Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

53 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

By then he might still be the 3C behind cozens.

He might be.  In which case he probably gets dealt because he'd see himself in the Canucks Hodgson or the Pens Stoll role - stuck at 3C but 'knowing ' there are teams that he'd be the 2C at worst.

Or, he could firmly be the #2C with Cozens either 3C or 1/2RW.  In which case he ends up getting a deal similar to what Reinhart will soon be getting.  And Botterill has the good problem of figuring out how to squeeze a 5th non-goalie core piece into their cap along with Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, & Dahlin. (Along with possibly 1 other currently rostered D-man.). Or perhaps at that point he gets traded in a Johansson/Jones sort of trade.

There is still a massive amount of variability for where Mittelstadt tops out.  But I've seen nothing to date that says it won't be quality #2C which is still my expectation.

The thing I would be conscerned with, with Hall, is that he is older and plays the opposite of a position of need for this team. He is also a UFA. So if we give him a strike against for each thing, strike 1 (LW, we are have a lot of them), strike 2 (age, he's about to be 28 which is 3 years older than I want a player at this point) and these leads to strike 3 (at 28 we have to give him a 7 or 8 year contract in the Jeff Skinner range). Wrong position, contract is a major problem, and his age compounds the contract issue. I would not trade for him. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

He might be.  In which case he probably gets dealt because he'd see himself in the Canucks Hodgson or the Pens Stoll role - stuck at 3C but 'knowing ' there are teams that he'd be the 2C at worst.

Or, he could firmly be the #2C with Cozens either 3C or 1/2RW.  In which case he ends up getting a deal similar to what Reinhart will soon be getting.  And Botterill has the good problem of figuring out how to squeeze a 5th non-goalie core piece into their cap along with Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, & Dahlin. (Along with possibly 1 other currently rostered D-man.). Or perhaps at that point he gets traded in a Johansson/Jones sort of trade.

There is still a massive amount of variability for where Mittelstadt tops out.  But I've seen nothing to date that says it won't be quality #2C which is still my expectation.

He's made some improvement this season on the defensive side of his game, but his ineffectiveness at faceoffs has me worried about him as a 2C.  I think its unfair to think Cozens could step in next year as the 2C, but he could/should challenge at the 3C position.  If that happens, does this push Casey out of the organization, or to a wing?  I think it's much more likely that he ends up at LW in this scenario but it also may depend on how much he's looking at for his next deal.  He hasn't shown as much as Samson did before his 7MM/2yr bridge contract and also burned a year off his ELC for those 6 games in '17-'18.

22 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Sobotka is obvious odd man out in top-6, but who would be the odd man out in the bottom-6?  Would Botterill bench Okposo?  Sheary has been good, only Rodrigues has really struggled back there.  Unless he plans on demoting Mittelstadt to some AHL time..

I dont think erod is going to be going to be long term with the team this season 

Edited by miles

On 10/31/2019 at 12:05 PM, dudacek said:

Can we assume from the charts that Toffoli might be an upgrade from Olofsson 5-on-5 on the Eichel line?

Yup, 2 places in the top 6 he'd be a solid upgrade. 

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Whoever of the two is in the 3C role ideally ends up being "better" than where they are slotted, don't see why we'd trade them. That kind of depth is when you become a great team. 

I could see Mittelstadt in the Derek Roy 3C role, heavy offensive minutes. Cozens I see as getting more minutes, tougher matchups, as he's a 200 foot player. It's a good middle 6 C combination. 

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

He's made some improvement this season on the defensive side of his game, but his ineffectiveness at faceoffs has me worried about him as a 2C.  I think its unfair to think Cozens could step in next year as the 2C, but he could/should challenge at the 3C position.  If that happens, does this push Casey out of the organization, or to a wing?  I think it's much more likely that he ends up at LW in this scenario but it also may depend on how much he's looking at for his next deal.  He hasn't shown as much as Samson did before his 7MM/2yr bridge contract and also burned a year off his ELC for those 6 games in '17-'18.

It is the rare kid that comes into the league and excels on face-offs.  But that is a skill that definitely can be improved with experience and practice. 

And as is readily apparent from how the Sabres have handled the top line's face-offs at least since Housley started coaching, that wingers are often times used to take the draw situationally so should a lack of face-offs prowess end up his calling card, that won't necessarily be disqualifying.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Yup, 2 places in the top 6 he'd be a solid upgrade. 

Whoever of the two is in the 3C role ideally ends up being "better" than where they are slotted, don't see why we'd trade them. That kind of depth is when you become a great team. 

I could see Mittelstadt in the Derek Roy 3C role, heavy offensive minutes. Cozens I see as getting more minutes, tougher matchups, as he's a 200 foot player. It's a good middle 6 C combination. 

He might fit into the future plans at 3C. (Still expect they hope / expect more, but for sake of discussion, let's say that's what he is.) But if he thinks he can be top 6 elsewhere but will be locked into the 3C role here then he will not sign a contract that takes him into UFA years unless they severely overpay for those years. 

It isn't necessarily an indication that the Sabres don't want him if he ends up leaving.  He has to want to stay too.  And that is why I said in that situation he could be Hodgson or Staal.  Those 2 were forced to be traded because they weren't going to stay as the 3C.  If he ends up 3C and is content there; awesome.  Just can see a realistic scenario where he isn't satisfied with that.  (Should that come to pass.)

On 11/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, inkman said:

I don't think he's worth very much right now

He's a competent depth player.  He hasn't had a good year so far, but he's played a regular shift in the past.  Depending on what a trading partner needs, he could end up as a proven roster player going back.  He can play bottom 12 minutes but has had some success as a fill-in on the top 6.

His lack of performance this year could be attributed to RFK's coaching style.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, inkman said:

I don't think he's worth very much right now

I didn't think Cliff Pu, and some worthless picks would get us skinner either. Or that Nylander would get us Jokiharju, a player that is fast becoming 1 of my favorites. He just gets it defensively. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I didn't think Cliff Pu, and some worthless picks would get us skinner either. Or that Nylander would get us Jokiharju, a player that is fast becoming 1 of my favorites. He just gets it defensively. 

That made me curious to see how he's doing.  I had no idea that Carolina gave him away to Florida back in February.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Joker (I hate the nickname but come on with that alphabet soup last name) is vying for team MVP.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.