Scottysabres

Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call

• Move him at the deadline
    • re-sign him

35 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

What?

It's true.  In 2010-11 Stafford scored 31 goals and got a $4M x 4 year deal (probably more equivalent to $7M in today's cap numbers) and never broke 20 goals for the Sabres again.  Of course, that was also the days of the declining "rotten core" (of which he was one of the last pieces to be moved) and a tanking team.  He was still a decent player but poisoned from a Sabres perspective.

Edited by Doohickie

48 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's true.  In 2010-11 Stafford scored 31 goals and got a $4M x 4 year deal (probably more equivalent to $7M in today's cap numbers) and never broke 20 goals for the Sabres again.  Of course, that was also the days of the declining "rotten core" (of which he was one of the last pieces to be moved) and a tanking team.  He was still a decent player but poisoned from a Sabres perspective.

And Skinner is on pace for 40+ which would be career high. 

1 hour ago, mphs mike said:

Don't ask him to change - I still haven't gotten over my displeasure with King Kong Korab and, by many accounts, he was a very good, effective player for the Sabres

I would never ask you to change. I am merely attempting to ascertain the threshold whereby your comfortable with a players situation/scenario. For Prosperity, inquiring minds want to know...……….

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

The reason for my "what'? was Skinner has proven to be more than Stafford was after his 2010-11 season.  It's not the same scenario at all.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, he has proven to be better than Staff so far, but I was just explaining skibum's point (even though between you and me I don't agree with it).  Fact of the matter is, so many of us around here have been disappointed with our long-term, high-dollar signings based on some bad performances on tank teams.  I think if you put 2012 Stafford on this team, he would have lived up to the contract.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yes, he has proven to be better than Staff so far, but I was just explaining skibum's point (even though between you and me I don't agree with it).  Fact of the matter is, so many of us around here have been disappointed with our long-term, high-dollar signings based on some bad performances on tank teams.  I think if you put 2012 Stafford on this team, he would have lived up to the contract.

I don't know.  Stafford short arming passes and stick waving at pucks along the boards became the stuff of legend.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think he had 4 hat tricks that year and his sh% was abnormally high. 

4 hours ago, 3putt said:

Contract year.

The bottom line is that Skinner is worth that risk if he's still performing well by the early spring. This isn't a Leino/Hodgson/Moulson situation or even an Okposo situation. Skinner is on another level of ability. We've been looking for a genuine top-line winger who is fast, can score goals, can play well with Eichel, and isn't a locker room cancer. VERY early indications are that Skinner fits that description, so why not try to keep what you need? I think he's still young enough (will be 27 in May) to be considered part of the new Eichel/Reinhart/Mitts/Dahlin/Risto core. And besides, it's good to have a more veteran member of the core and also to have a more even distribution of ages among the roster.

For those concerned about the salary cap ramifications: remember that a bunch of dead weight is coming off this summer, Bogo's $6 million comes off next summer, and Okposo's $6 million dips to $4 million before coming off the books completely in 4 years. JB can easily work in a lengthy 7- or 8-year Skinner contract and not jeopardize the team's ability to keep their Mitts/Dhalin type of players long-term.

Also, I'm happy to see the poll is overwhelmingly in favor of signing Skinner rather than trading him for future prospects. I was afraid that the classic Buffalo sports fan mentality would creep in...that is, always hoping to build for a better future at the expense of wanting to win in the present.

Edited by FuhrUrsinne
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not going to jump on the Skinner bandwagon just yet, but last two games looked good for sure. See how it's going by Jan1. If he keeps scoring at a 30 goal pace, has good chemistry with Jack (or someone else if things change), buys into the system, and most of all WANTS to be here, then sure, pay him and sign him up long term. If there are doubts trade him and get something good for him. I think you have to check all 4 things though before backing up the truck full of cash. 

13 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

The bottom line is that Skinner is worth that risk if he's still performing well by the early spring. This isn't a Leino/Hodgson/Moulson situation or even an Okposo situation. Skinner is on another level of ability. We've been looking for a genuine top-line winger who is fast, can score goals, can play well with Eichel, and isn't a locker room cancer. VERY early indications are that Skinner fits that description, so why not try to keep what you need? I think he's still young enough (will be 27 in May) to be considered part of the new Eichel/Reinhart/Mitts/Dahlin/Risto core. And besides, it's good to have a more veteran member of the core and also to have a more even distribution of ages among the roster.

For those concerned about the salary cap ramifications: remember that a bunch of dead weight is coming off this summer, Bogo's $6 million comes off next summer, and Okposo's $6 million dips to $4 million before coming off the books completely in 4 years. JB can easily work in a lengthy 7- or 8-year Skinner contract and not jeopardize the team's ability to keep their Mitts/Dhalin type of players long-term.

Also, I'm happy to see the poll is overwhelmingly in favor of signing Skinner rather than trading him for future prospects. I was afraid that the classic Buffalo sports fan mentality would creep in...that is, always hoping to build for a better future at the expense of wanting to win in the present.

Okposo's salary might dip to 4 but his cap hit is constant. That said, pominville coming off the books helps a lot for Skinner.

I agree its a bit early and we should see how this is still working come Jan 1.

I voted to try and sign him if it is working because as Taro said it would be a nice change to sign a skilled player instead of another sell off or walk away like we have all witnessed over these last 5 plus years. 

At some point you have to establish a core to go with the talent pipeline .  

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not going to jump on the Skinner bandwagon just yet, but last two games looked good for sure. See how it's going by Jan1. If he keeps scoring at a 30 goal pace, has good chemistry with Jack (or someone else if things change), buys into the system, and most of all WANTS to be here, then sure, pay him and sign him up long term. If there are doubts trade him and get something good for him. I think you have to check all 4 things though before backing up the truck full of cash. 

Even though he's proven he's that type of player the last 3 years and 2 other years in his career?

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Then again, it could be the elevated talent around him, or the increased adrenaline knowing he's a part of something bigger than himself, driving him to perform feats of wonder, or the non sugar pop tarts he's picked up here in WNY he's been eating in the morning...……... 

He did make a post-game interview comment, something like "[jokingly] I wouldn't say this to his face,"  "but there are only a few players in the NHL who could have made that play" (about his goal vs ANA)

It's obvious he has a huge amount of awe/respect for Jacks' talent, which supports what you are saying.

5 hours ago, josie said:

Regardless, the figure skater nerd in me really enjoys catching the little things he brings over from that different school of skating. 

I have no reservations about saying it: watching him skate is a beautiful thing to behold

42 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

He did make a post-game interview comment, something like "[jokingly] I wouldn't say this to his face,"  "but there are only a few players in the NHL who could have made that play" (about his goal vs ANA)

It's obvious he has a huge amount of awe/respect for Jacks' talent, which supports what you are saying.

I have no reservations about saying it: watching him skate is a beautiful thing to behold

Did you see that no look backhand pass by Jack to set up the 2 on 1?? That was an unbelievable play by Eichel skating back to the puck and in one motion backhanding it out of the zone to Pominville

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I want to sign him as much as anyone, but no way in hell I let that deadline go by with him unsigned and not trade him. I don't care how good things are going. 

Jbot will have to be tough and trade him. 

I think, as has been mentioned in another thread, that the Sabres position in the standings come Thanksgiving will be a major deciding factor. If we're sitting in a wildcard/playoff spot, then I think re-signing Skinner before the deadline becomes much more likely. 

6 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I want to sign him as much as anyone, but no way in hell I let that deadline go by with him unsigned and not trade him. I don't care how good things are going. 

Jbot will have to be tough and trade him. 

Disagree. Look at what the Canes got for him. Look at what EKane was traded for at the last deadline. Look at what trading any of the big name guys over the last couple years have brought back in a trade. A second round pick and a B+ prospect isn't worth taking a shot at the playoffs to me. Don't tell me that the price goes up at the deadline, its just not true any more.

11 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

but, like, what if, god willing, the sabres are pretty firmly in the playoff picture at that point in time? NFW the sabres are sellers at that point.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.