Has Jack found 1 of his long term solutions at wing, Jeff Skinner

Scottysabres

Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call

• Move him at the deadline
    • re-sign him

On 10/22/2018 at 8:10 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

I think he is great. Would love to sign him, but you know the Rangers are having back channel conversations offering him heaven and earth. This kind of sucks. If he won't sign, you have to take what you can get from a contender and move on. 

...are you saying the Rangers are tampering?  any evidence of this?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

but, like, what if, god willing, the sabres are pretty firmly in the playoff picture at that point in time? NFW the sabres are sellers at that point.

It would be tough, but tough decisions need to be made. I'd trade him. 

Just now, Cage said:

...are you saying the Rangers are tampering?  any evidence of this?

No evidence at all, but I bet they are. You think everyone just plays by the rules? 

54 minutes ago, sabills said:

Disagree. Look at what the Canes got for him. Look at what EKane was traded for at the last deadline. Look at what trading any of the big name guys over the last couple years have brought back in a trade. A second round pick and a B+ prospect isn't worth taking a shot at the playoffs to me. Don't tell me that the price goes up at the deadline, its just not true any more.

I'd rather get something than nothing, and any pick could turn into a gem later. 

I mean sure, if we look like we could make the BIG run now, but I doubt that. 

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I'd rather get something than nothing, and any pick could turn into a gem later. 

I think at this stage the potential experience of a playoff series is worth more than a mid 2nd round pick that won't see NHL ice for 3-5 years if at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I would hope it's more than that

Last year not many 1st round picks were traded.  But if Tomas Tatar can land multiple picks, one being a 1st, I’m sure Buffalo could get a very good return for Skinner.  

Sabres should do what they can to keep him. Things are clicking.  Players have energy.  There are now reasons for players to play and fans to watch.  Keep all of that going.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m going to go off the board a little bit here.

This team needs to retain Skinner this season regardless of playoff likelihood and regardless of the risk of losing him in the offseason.

Thise team needs the reinforcement that the expectation of winning is more important than anything else, including potential prospects and lottery tickets.

• Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

This team needs to retain Skinner this season regardless of playoff likelihood and regardless of the risk of losing him in the offseason.

Thise team needs the reinforcement that the expectation of winning is more important than anything else, including potential prospects and lottery tickets.

I could be inclined to agree.

I haven't watched Skinner enough to know if what I'm seeing is his usual style or if he's motivated by his contract year but I think his style is contagious and his teammates are feeding off him right now. 

I'd like to see more before i had to make a decision but the more I think about it I'd say sign him now. 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:06 AM, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't sign skinner to more than 5 years. Unless we like have 31 year olds with 3-4 years left on deals that are not living up to them. 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:07 AM, darksabre said:

It's kind of the way of the NHL though. You just sorta have to do it in order to lock good players up. Everyone is giving out deals like that. 

I mean, the Jets just signed Wheeler to a 5 year extension that STARTS when he is 33, and everyone around here was saying it was a good and necessary deal. 

I'm not worried if Skinner is locked up UNTIL 33, which would his age at the start of the 7th year of a hypothetical deal. 

---

Re-sign Skinner during this season. Then sign UFA RW Mark Stone.

Skinner - Eichel - Stone

?

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Completely agreed - and also just flat out because of how good Jeff Skinner is at scoring even strength goals; incredibly valuable to a team that has been struggling in that regard. 

We have to sign him, if his recent play continues. Irrespective of playoff positioning. We need the talent going forward.  

But this isn't the Kane situation. There's a realistic possibility Skinner can be signed. It's not a trade him or lose him situation. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Over 90% as I post this favor his re-signing.

That is impressive. With that said, as the season progresses, I'd like to revisit this subject.

OK, but to keep it logical, we should only revisit after back-to-back good wins that bring the Sabres above DeLuca .500 in which Skinner scores 4 goals.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I know many of us are excited, but let’s look at some reality. As OP has explained a handful of times, there’s no “wait and see” option for this post for a reason. 

Skins had zero points in 5 of the first 6 games. Suddenly, he’s put up 5 points in the last 3 games. 

Should we get all excited and hand him the keys to an AMSA truck full of money based on a couple good games? No way. That’s the reasonable answer to the specific post. 

Should we wait and see if the production is sustained going forward? Absolutely. We have no idea what spurred his sudden scoring spurt. We don’t know if he will disappear scoring-wise for the next 5 out of 6 games. We don’t know if he will break out for 50 goals the rest of the way. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.