Has Jack found 1 of his long term solutions at wing, Jeff Skinner

Scottysabres

Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call

• Move him at the deadline
    • re-sign him

On 10/22/2018 at 2:02 PM, LGR4GM said:

So since 2015 Skinner is 3rd in EV Goals when adjusted for TOI. Holy poop. 

He knows this, and will surely feel he can get a great contract on open market. I can see us offering him a lot. He is a superstar, according to that stat. 

Yet, look at the Canes this year. They lose Skinner and score more goals than us, are slightly better than us and have not died when he left. 

I just hate losing an asset and not getting anything in return. 

38 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

He knows this, and will surely feel he can get a great contract on open market. I can see us offering him a lot. He is a superstar, according to that stat. 

Yet, look at the Canes this year. They lose Skinner and score more goals than us, are slightly better than us and have not died when he left. 

I'd argue a couple of playoff goals is something.

I would propose the next poll ask the question differently.. (when it's time to ask again).

"Assuming Jeff Skinner will get a 7 year contract, what is the AAV you would accept for the Sabres to keep him?"

• $6M-
  • $7M
  • $8M
  • $9M
  • $10M+
  • Trade him regardless
  • Keep Him for playoffs if it happens

Everyone will have a different spot at which they want him, except @TrueBlueGED.  We know his choice.  ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/22/2018 at 5:10 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

I think he is great. Would love to sign him, but you know the Rangers are having back channel conversations offering him heaven and earth. This kind of sucks. If he won't sign, you have to take what you can get from a contender and move on. 

Pegula has billions.Time to start spending smartly

11 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

good point. prime example your buffalo bills

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’m in the keep him category. 

However if he is traded, the Stastny and Nash Returns are a better template. Still the players the Sabres will get back in terms of prospects and draft choices will not be as good as Skinner. 

Yup. Guaranteed downgrade in talent.

That’s what TM thought when he acquired ROR, Kane, Lehner and Bogo. All talented, all overpaid and all but Bogo gone. The team is obviously better without then.  

Re-signing Skinner is at best premature.  Cap space management is key now to building a winner. For example: Jbot may decide that spending 7 mill on Skinner isn’t as smart as spending 5 on a D and giving that slot to Nylander.

Therefore trading Skinner might be the best course of action even if we just get back what we paid for him.  

So why is this discussion way premature?

We have no idea on what the cap is going to be.  We have no idea if Skinner will actually earn a new deal or even want to stay.  We have no idea how possible internal replacements such as Nylander or even Sheary will do.  We have no idea if cheaper, younger or better replacements will be FA or available in trade.  We have no idea what Jbot’s cap strategy is or how he plans to further upgrade the defense.  Just to many unknowns at this point.

Right now we don’t even know for sure the future of Pommers with the Sabres.  He seems to fit with Jack as well.  What happens if he has a good season, shows leadership in the clubhouse and is willing to return for $3 mill per year for 2 more years? 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I really need to see his waterbug act in the playoffs to make a decision on a long term deal tying up that much moolah. Does he get tossed around and essentially mugged beyond recognition with the elevated physical play and substandard playoff officiating where they let everything go ? Actually I really need to see how this entire team holds up under those conditions. Some nights I worry. Just get in boys.

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not guaranteed, Pasternac and Guensel (Yes, spelling of names is way off) were late first round picks. Getting more picks increases our chances of hitting on a pick that is really good. 

Meh.  Lottery tickets.  You listed outliers.  And outliers that a team waits 3+ years to have on the NHL ice (unless you want to drum up outliers among outliers).  So, long term you *MIGHT* equal what you've lost and short term is a definite, predictable, measurable loss.

Let's work towards an expectation of winning games all season.

Edited by Weave

On 10/24/2018 at 9:21 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

Who's their gt though? Ward was a major problem there. 

19 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not guaranteed, Pasternac and Guensel (Yes, spelling of names is way off) were late first round picks. Getting more picks increases our chances of hitting on a pick that is really good. 

Jake Guentzel was drafted 77th overall or in the 3rd round. 

We already have 3 firsts in a deep draft. I'd rather keep the known item that is Skinner.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.