GDT: Sabres at Arizona 10/13/18, 9pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Why not?  They won 3-0.  What more do you want?  My sense was that once Dahlin scored, the Sabres were in control.

Because teams like the Caps, Pens, Lightening, and any decent team will turn your two or three goal lead into a deficit. Just so happens we were playing against a team who has only scored two goals this season. The Sabres were not in control because of their system of play. They retained the lead due to the Coyotes’ inability to finish. 

What more do we want? Sixty minutes of effort. Not fourty with twenty spent trying to hold on.

However a win is a win.

What happened to the housley 5 man attacking system?  Plus it concerns me the lack of scoring from the 3rd line. The 2nd of skinner-mittlestadt-okposo points will come if kept together but I'd be looking to bringing up Smith and nylander soon if this continues and then asplund and oloffson if not this season then next. The first two mentioned should have been on the roster anyway in my opinion. Also pilut is playing well and can't be ignored. Just don't like this blysma style get a lead and sit on it. 

2 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

My god, even when the Sabres win there are people critical of the team. 

Some people will just never be happy. 

Check out the Bills board....many over there don't even want wins...they want higher picks...winning is fun and last night was a good game

Hey @Randall Flagg : Keep on doing you, sir. 

“The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.” F. Scott Fitzgerald.

It’s entirely possible to enjoy the win, and identify unsustainable aspects of said winning. I am a better fan for it.

Go, Sabres!

• Like (+1) 2

I think i can put my finger on why i don't feel great after these wins.

Even though they got the 2 points, it still feels like they are getting outplayed and outshot....by a lot. 

I look at this team on paper and what Housley SAYS he wants to do, and it just doesn't translate. They look boring to me and in all honestly, the Yotes looked like the better, faster team (other than goaltending.)

Boring, lucky to win style of play should be over but it's not. It is very disturbing how few scoring chances this team gets. They go stretches of 10 minutes at a time and then poof, the 1 shot is a goal.

I just want to see 2018 style of hockey and and Buffalo has the players to make that happen.....hopefully they get there.

14 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I think i can put my finger on why i don't feel great after these wins.

Even though they got the 2 points, it still feels like they are getting outplayed and outshot....by a lot. 

I look at this team on paper and what Housley SAYS he wants to do, and it just doesn't translate. They look boring to me and in all honestly, the Yotes looked like the better, faster team (other than goaltending.)

Boring, lucky to win style of play should be over but it's not. It is very disturbing how few scoring chances this team gets. They go stretches of 10 minutes at a time and then poof, the 1 shot is a goal.

I just want to see 2018 style of hockey and and Buffalo has the players to make that happen.....hopefully they get there.

They are getting outshot, but it sure didn't look like they were outplayed last night.  Passes were crisp, skating was quick, and the shots they gave up were low-percentage.  Arizona didn't look like the better, faster team to me at all.

As tired as I am this morning, I'm really glad I stayed up to watch that one last night.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It must feel righteous to tell the whole world that you're going to ignore a poster.

This might be the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me on here tbh and that includes being accused of touching children because I picked on Donald Trump 

Join me on Doohickie’s “Ignore” island.  From time to time he’ll reply to your post in an “ooops” moment.   You’re not really ignored, not that you’d give a postage stamp.

Edited by Neo

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

We’ve won three games and there have been more than a handful of posts complaining about their performance in the two they won most handily on the scoreboard. Good teams win bad games. Bad teams win bad games. Just win.

Bad teams LOSE bad games, which is what we've seen enough of.  This team isn't bad.  It might not make the playoffs, but it isn't bad.  Everyone of us who is self-honest would admit that in August, a 3-2 start was a nice idea.

I thought they looked very good last night.  A shutout in the NHL is a feat.  

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, gomper said:

Serious question. Why does the MSG broadcast look so washed out? Then show a reply from a lower angle and the colors pop. 

The camera settings on the lower angle were awful. As for the broadcast looking washed out, I understand what you mean.  I do wonder, and perhaps I will test, if they are broadcasting a flatter image to accommodate people who run their television picture settings on "Vivid" or the like. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.  However, that picture you saw from that one camera was an indication of someone turning up the saturation waaaaay too much.

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

I don't know. This isn't the cheeriest of posts.

I read it as " We suck. We suck. And we suck,… but hey, we won. Terrific."

This is the problem with analysis. People blame the messenger for being negative when it's situation that is negative. If you saw it in that game but want to ignore talking about it, that's fine, but it doesn't change that it happened.

The Sabres were lucky the Coyotes don't score more. They had plenty of chances and the Sabres were in their own end far too much.  The win is great but after the game there's undoubtedly going to be a focus from the coaching staff on defensive zone coverage.  It doesn't help that they backed off the high pressure game early on (2-0) and that helped Arizona get in the zone.  The Sabres are still struggling against a strong forechecking team.  They will need to improve.  The good news is that they are showing the capability to score.

The positives are that this team is producing enough positive moments on the ice to overcome the negative moments.  Recall the Vegas game where they scored on 3 of their 4 shots in the period.  Most of the time if you get 4 shots in a period it means you are getting thoroughly owned by the opposition. However, the Sabres 3 goals were all absolutely grade A shots and they ended up in the net.

At 3-2 there's little doubt this team is trending in the right direction and if they can keep bending on defense while still getting timely goal scoring this will continue but to beat the better teams in the league they will need to improve their puck possession, breakouts, and defensive zone play.

Take the time to look at the standings.  We haven't been this relevant in a while.  I know it's only 5 games but the Sabres are ahead of some pretty good teams.

I missed the game but great to see #26 get his first goal.  He's going to be fun to watch develop.  I'm already impressed with his defensive play.  The offense will come.

Hopefully this was Skinner's coming out party.  Sounds like he had a heck of a game.

Go Sabres!  Let's repeat against the VGK!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beer said:

Take the time to look at the standings.  We haven't been this relevant in a while.  I know it's only 5 games but the Sabres are ahead of some pretty good teams.

I missed the game but great to see #26 get his first goal.  He's going to be fun to watch develop.  I'm already impressed with his defensive play.  The offense will come.

Hopefully this was Skinner's coming out party.  Sounds like he had a heck of a game.

Go Sabres!  Let's repeat against the VGK!

Skinner and Sheary were very good last night.

Look at me, I'm replying to a f*cking beverage.

Hockey teams have multiple components attempting to function at a high level at all times. Four lines, three pairings, and a goaltender..on the PK, on the PP, at even strength...at home and on the road, early in games, late in games, etc. It's natural that in wins or losses, some of these components, however they are dissected, are performing very well and some are performing less well. The question is whether the overall talent, team culture, and coaching enables enough of those components to fire at a high level enough of the time to produce wins. Playoff teams generate this desired mix in various combinations enough over 82 games to get into the tournament.  Sometimes a hot goaltender carries them for a few games, then goalie starts to look human but the top lines take over and start scoring, then later on the defense kicks in and the PP gets hot. And so forth.  

All this is a way of saying it's reasonable to both enjoy the win while also acknowledging the components of the team that are not performing well. Of course one game is only a single data point and even 5 games isn't enough to know where we're at. I want to give the team another 5 games at least (probably longer given 50% roster turnover) to really draw my own conclusions as to where this team is headed. 

An aside: all 3 goal scorers and the shut-out goalie were not with the club last season. One point for JBot. 

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Look at me, I'm replying to a f*cking beverage.

But it's a good one to reply to. It's not like you are replying to Diet Mango Snapple here. 

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, LTS said:

The camera settings on the lower angle were awful. As for the broadcast looking washed out, I understand what you mean.  I do wonder, and perhaps I will test, if they are broadcasting a flatter image to accommodate people who run their television picture settings on "Vivid" or the like. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.  However, that picture you saw from that one camera was an indication of someone turning up the saturation waaaaay too much.

This is the problem with analysis. People blame the messenger for being negative when it's situation that is negative. If you saw it in that game but want to ignore talking about it, that's fine, but it doesn't change that it happened.

The Sabres were lucky the Coyotes don't score more. They had plenty of chances and the Sabres were in their own end far too much.  The win is great but after the game there's undoubtedly going to be a focus from the coaching staff on defensive zone coverage.  It doesn't help that they backed off the high pressure game early on (2-0) and that helped Arizona get in the zone.  The Sabres are still struggling against a strong forechecking team.  They will need to improve.  The good news is that they are showing the capability to score.

The positives are that this team is producing enough positive moments on the ice to overcome the negative moments.  Recall the Vegas game where they scored on 3 of their 4 shots in the period.  Most of the time if you get 4 shots in a period it means you are getting thoroughly owned by the opposition. However, the Sabres 3 goals were all absolutely grade A shots and they ended up in the net.

At 3-2 there's little doubt this team is trending in the right direction and if they can keep bending on defense while still getting timely goal scoring this will continue but to beat the better teams in the league they will need to improve their puck possession, breakouts, and defensive zone play.

My problem is with analysis itself?, especially after a win in game five. We have no idea what this team is yet. Stats folk are downers. They just are. When you play bad, they say,"See, look how much below the mean you were." When you play well they say, "See, look how far above the mean that is, that is unsustainable."

Eventually, we will be a good team, and we will be playing above the mean, sustainably, because that is what good teams do, in whatever category the stats folk deem important and measurable.

I'm pretty sure that if stats and Flagg were around during the Hasek years, his head would have exploded.

Ya know I luv ya, Flagg. And I'm not even disagreeing with your analysis. I just thought there was a little too much hyperbole in your post. We could have beaten plenty of teams with last night's game.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Linus played 5 games for the Sabres last season. 

Point taken. I guess the intent of my comment is still valid insomuch as he was not a regular part of the team, mostly being an Amerk. But strictly speaking I was incorrect for sure. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.