Sabres Trade Nick Baptiste to Nashville for D man Jack Dougherty

Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yep, RHD. Lots of offence as a junior, hasn’t translated as a pro.

Skinny, good skater, puck mover. GA should be happy since I believe he is one of the defenders he thought Murray should have been targeting in wasted 2nd round of 2014.

And when we are healthy we have way too many D in Rochester.

I still think Baptiste is a bottom six NHL winger. Hope he gets a playoff run with the Preds.

If this is true, how on earth do you have that kind of recall? Color me impressed.

Good hockey trade. We get a RHD to groom for the future -- and Nashville knows how to draft D. Dougherty gets to season in a pretty solid Rochester lineup (on paper). Especially with today's reassignments. And Baptiste gets to go to a playoff caliber team where he'll likely get an early call-up. I'm bummed because he was my career winger for Eichel in EA NHL2014... best winger ever. But the Force will be with you Baptiste, always.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yep, RHD. Lots of offence as a junior, hasn’t translated as a pro.

Skinny, good skater, puck mover. GA should be happy since I believe he is one of the defenders he thought Murray should have been targeting in wasted 2nd round of 2014.

And when we are healthy we have way too many D in Rochester.

I still think Baptiste is a bottom six NHL winger. Hope he gets a playoff run with the Preds.

you have an amazing memory.  You are absolutely correct.  Great trade.  I don't know if he is going to be an NHL player after all, but I liked him with the US National Team.  Not surprised that another CHL vet is gone and replaced by a USHL/NCAA vet.

Yep,  I hated the Cornel and Karabacek picks.  We were desperate for D prospects and the great TM drafted two more failed forwards and then drafted the great D Brycen Martin in the 3rd.  

This is the second trade Jbot has done to erase a lousy draft memory.  Back in 2006 DR drafted Dennis Persson 24th overall.  (one of only 3 1st rd picks that year not to appear in the NHL).  The pick I wanted was Buffalo born Nick Foligno (28th overall to Ottawa) or Patrik Berglund (25th overall to Stl).  Persson was a dumb pick then and hindsight it's worse.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

If this is true, how on earth do you have that kind of recall? Color me impressed.

I think he remembers it so well because I have been arguing (correctly) for years that we needed to draft D prospects with 1st or second rd picks.  DR and TM ignored my request for years, until TM kind of relented with Guhle in 2015.  This became necessary because TM traded away Pysyk, McNabb, and Zadorov without truly replacing them.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I saw Dougherty play in preseason last year when I was a Preds season ticket holder. Honestly, not very memorable (but I was probably drunk). He was well thought of in the Preds organization, but they have so many good defense prospects he got caught in a numbers game. He already has a couple of years of AHL experience so he's pretty close to NHL-ready (or at least a shot at the league). As a right-hand shot, he can maybe pair with someone like Guhle in Rochester.

45 minutes ago, Iron Crotch said:

I saw Dougherty play in preseason last year when I was a Preds season ticket holder. Honestly, not very memorable (but I was probably drunk). He was well thought of in the Preds organization, but they have so many good defense prospects he got caught in a numbers game. He already has a couple of years of AHL experience so he's pretty close to NHL-ready (or at least a shot at the league). As a right-hand shot, he can maybe pair with someone like Guhle in Rochester.

So basically a defensive version of Baptiste?

Good luck in Nashville, Nick.

Welcome, Jack!

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

So, now that 3 of Murray's "big 4" wing prospects are gone within 15 months, how long does the lone straggler Bailey stay in the system?.

I believe the 2013 draft was when Regier was still GM. At least 6 players from the Regier days remain with the franchise: Girgensons and McCabe and Ullmark from the 2012 draft, Risto and Bailey from the 2013 draft, and Larsson via trade. One could also include Pominville and Moulson, I suppose.

2 hours ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

I believe the 2013 draft was when Regier was still GM. At least 6 players from the Regier days remain with the franchise: Girgensons and McCabe and Ullmark from the 2012 draft, Risto and Bailey from the 2013 draft, and Larsson via trade. One could also include Pominville and Moulson, I suppose.

Did not mean to imply that Murray was the source of all those players, just that they were all expected to become (or at least have a strong shot at becoming) key contributors under his master plan.  Big wingers with either good speed (e.g. Bailey) or at least good speed for a big man (e.g. Fasching) who fit in very well on paper with the LA East master plan.

Though they weren't all obtained by TM, they ALL were guys he'd've tried to bring into the organization & at least 2, if not 3-4 of the 4 would've been pencilled into this season's lineup.  Carrier had made the team as an early call up & contributed 2 years ago & Fasching made the team that year out of training camp (but never played his way back up after the late preseason injury).  Bailey & Baptiste had been callups as well.

28 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Grosek for Dumont (and some garbage)!

I was this close to spitting coffee on my monitor.

As for the trade, there's pretty much one of these every year.  AHL depth for AHL depth.  I really don't expect much of anything to come from it for either team.

13 hours ago, bobs0108 said:

I like this trade we know what Baptiste is a bottom 6 player. With Dougherty he is still young enough and can hopefully be a bottom 4 for us and it does take D longer to develop so who knows what can happen. 

If Doughtery managed to become the #6 defender I will surprised. He's probably a career AHL guy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.